Red Dwarf to return Page 3

I don't think she's been in anything for a couple of years, maybe longer. Perhaps she gave up acting?

I'd like to see a new Red Dwarf special, only if Grant/Naylor feel they have a really good story to tell. To me it's always been strange that Red Dwarf never has had a movie outing, especially due to its popularity in the US. Sure there's some irritating reason why not... Anyone know?

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2008, 3:53 PM BST

I don't think she's been in anything for a couple of years, maybe longer. Perhaps she gave up acting?

I didn't know she'd taken it up! :P

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2008, 3:49 PM BST

She wasn't to blame for the essential naffness of the last couple of series of Red Dwarf, it was the poor scripts. And don't forget one reason for the low quality of scripts was that one writer left, which is what worries me about revisiting the show? Would both Grant and Naylor be involved?

It's possible but probably very doubtful that Rob Grant would be involved. He did rewrite an old ep with Doug for the Bodysnatcher DVD but that was done via email rather than them collaborating in the same room as they used to.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 26 2008, 3:57 PM BST

I'd like to see a new Red Dwarf special, only is Grant/Naylor feel they have a really good story to tell. To me it's always been strange that Red Dwarf never has had a movie outing, especially due to its popularity in the US. Sure there's some irritating reason why not... Anyone know?

They almost got funding several times but the money men were basically unhappy to have a cast of unknowns, an unproven director etc. If they'd recast then they could have made it.

I think I read somewhere that a prod co would invest in a Red Dwarf film ONLY if the original cast were replaced by the prod co's choices.

Once choice was Hugh Grant as Lister.

What the fork?????

Naturally, Grant and Naylor said no.

Thank smeg.

Towards the end it just got a bit rubbish, but if it's decently made then it should be good!

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 26 2008, 8:31 AM BST

NEW Red Dwarf Episode commissioned. \0/

Yes, but at this point, there seems to be nothing announced other than Robert Llewellyn saying it was commissioned.

I think they should just leave it.

It's flogging an old horse. I doubt any further episodes/specials/films would come close to touching the original series.

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2008, 3:15 PM BST

Ouch! Crime Traveller? Now that was a shocker. It would have been much more interesting if it had been Crime New Age Traveller with them going back in time, stealing stuff and fly-tipping.

Nooo, I LOVED that show! It was ace! I have it on DVD as well. :)

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 3:30 PM BST

He turned up randomly on a work video I had to watch recently about health and safety. It was hilarious.

He was basically playing his Brittas character.

:O PLEASE tell me that you have a copy of this?!

Quote: Bad dog @ August 26 2008, 10:41 AM BST

It's been commissioned by BBC Worldwide, so does that mean it's a direct to DVD commission?

That's a very interesting question. Hm. Where did you see that? I think it's unlikely that it'll be straight to DVD, but being through Worldwide could offer them greater flexibility, particularly in regards to international sales (as has already been mentioned of its US fanbase).

I'm afraid not. Unless I somehow nick the video from work!

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 26 2008, 3:57 PM BST

I'd like to see a new Red Dwarf special, only if Grant/Naylor feel they have a really good story to tell. To me it's always been strange that Red Dwarf never has had a movie outing, especially due to its popularity in the US. Sure there's some irritating reason why not... Anyone know?

I think that you largely answered your question before actually asking it.

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 8:15 PM BST

I'm afraid not. Unless I somehow nick the video from work!

PLlllleeeeeease dooo! I love those training videos, VideoArts, all of that kind of stuff. They're ace. :)

I don't really see the problem. A lot of the best comedy is about characters who are trapped, and you can't get more trapped than the Red Dwarf characters.

Going back to the age thing, everyone knows the crew were doomed to spend the rest of their lives - well, Lister and Cat's lives - onboard Red Dwarf, drifting through space, so it was inevitable that they'd become middle-aged, onboard the ship.

I don't believe their age is a problem, and I haven't heard it raised as a problem. Whatsherface can f**k right off. She bought the whole series down IMO. Kryten TV was her best showing. ;) And IMO she wasn't that 'sexy'. The 'boys' are supposed to be trapped; sticking Lister's girlfriend in there ruined the dynamic for me. No doubt they won't get rid of her now though, although thinking about it I can't remember what happened at the end of the last episode in series eight.

I'm still hoping it'll go back to being as funny as the first three or so series.

I would have thought they'd do everything they could to make a good job of it. And they can't possibly not know that everyone hated her.