Red Dwarf to return Page 2

Despite my feelings about the last couple of series and my reservations at bringing it back after it ended on such a low, I can't deny that Red Dwarf was the show that got me into comedy and got me into comedy writing.

As a fan, I for one would like to see some closure. Doug Naylor had such big plans for the end of series 8 (with Red Dwarf finally getting back to Earth, only to crash land and tear a massive gash across the surface of the planet) which would have wrapped up the series somewhat, but bugetary issues meant they had to end it on the lame 'kneeing death in the balls' cliffhanger we were given.

Can we start a no-Kochanski petition do you think?

Wasn't she drafted in to replace Chris Barrie - is he back permanently then? Hope so.

Yeah, but Chloe Arnett was quite sexy. And we'll need that sexiness if it turns out to be a bit shit with a limp script.

She was a bit naff in that show with him out of EastEnders doing time travel and all that. Actually the show was a bit naff, she was alright.

Quote: Marc P @ August 26 2008, 3:13 PM BST

She was a bit naff in that show with him out of EastEnders doing time travel and all that. Actually the show was a bit naff, she was alright.

You mean Crime Traveller?

Nope sorry, 'sexiness' is not a good enough reason for her presence to f**k up the whole project. The original one would be okay, as she wasn't the shittest actor ever to grace Red Dwarf.

I still think it would work best with just Cat, Kryten, Rimmer and Lister though.

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 3:17 PM BST

I still think it would work best with just Cat, Kryten, Rimmer and Lister though.

She did rather unbalance the whole bleedin thing, didn't she.

I have to confess I wrote a stand up act for CB a few years back with a friend of mine - and he refused to do a bit in it about the name Rimmer and how unfortunate it was to have it called out in a bar in America full of men wearing leather jeans and moustaches. Can't think why.

Aww.
I love him. He does those shows about big cars and planes and stuff now doesn't he...?

Quote: Griff @ August 26 2008, 3:18 PM BST

Now there's a puzzle to tax the finest minds of the age.

:D
How have I puzzled thee, Griff?

She was partly written in because Doug Naylor felt it needed a sexy woman (and she is QUITE sexy, let's be honest) to help it get film funding.

And also to replace Rimmer.

I think the reason it didn't work out were because the scripts were mostly rubbish.

The premise of VIII was so so poor it really held it back. VII is less bad on a re-watch (and Duct Soup is a great episode) but it was too sci-fi and not enough jokes (see Ouroboros).

Oh and Chris Barrie is a superb comic actor.

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 3:25 PM BST

Aww.
I love him. He does those shows about big cars and planes and stuff now doesn't he...?

:D
How have I puzzled thee, Griff?

He's got a load of flash cars I know that!

He turned up randomly on a work video I had to watch recently about health and safety. It was hilarious.

He was basically playing his Brittas character.

He didn't like the Britarse pronunciation either and linking it to the Rimmer name. :)

Quote: zooo @ August 26 2008, 3:17 PM BST

Nope sorry, 'sexiness' is not a good enough reason for her presence to f**k up the whole project. The original one would be okay, as she wasn't the shittest actor ever to grace Red Dwarf.

She wasn't to blame for the essential naffness of the last couple of series of Red Dwarf, it was the poor scripts. And don't forget one reason for the low quality of scripts was that one writer left, which is what worries me about revisiting the show? Would both Grant and Naylor be involved?

I thought it was her being rubbish too. But I haven't seen her in anything else yet to properly judge it.