The Wrong Door

Here's some clips from this new BBC3 sketch show which starts towards the end of the month... https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_wrong_door/videos/

The computer animation must have cost a bomb, and is very impressive in places - but overall I wonder whether a lot of the humour is going to have been pushed aside by the technical trickery. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I heard a bit about this when I was doing this TVYP thing at Edinburgh.
According to the woman I spoke to, it doesn't cost very much at all. You can see why it wouldn't, you can do that kind of post production stuff wuth one guy and a laptop these days.

I liked the sketch, especially the way it pulled it's punchlines by going for the mundane reactions.

The new website can do video!

Hmmm, I think the effects were there to compensate for the lack of jokes - those were the best sketches!? I can't believe Matt Berry didn't even make it funny. :(

I saw the date one.

I would be thoroughly embarassed to have written that, and would expect a severe drubbing if I put it on critique.

Oh well plan B mutant baboon army to take over the world.

Just saw a trailer clip for this on BBC3. A restuarant "Death By Chocolate" gag which I would disown my 9 year old daughters for writing.

I can't wait to see this, BSGer Phill Barron is on the writing team for this so lets all give it a watch.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ August 15 2008, 9:08 PM BST

I can't wait to see this, BSGer Phill Barron is on the writing team for this so lets all give it a watch.

I hope the trailer is not representative of the whole. I'm dying to see a sketch show I really like. And congrats to Phil

The guy who plays the waiter in that death by chocolate sketch is great.

Can't remember his name though.

I can wait to see it!

I don't hold Phill responsible if it is awful though. Well done on getting another TV credit.

Quote: Winterlight @ August 15 2008, 11:00 PM BST

I don't hold Phill responsible if it is awful though.

Oh, I do.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ August 15 2008, 11:05 PM BST

Oh, I do.

Me too. I take full responsibility for all the good bits.

The Wrong Door starts tonight then (10:30pm).

I've now watched the first episode and to be fair to the show, the trailers haven't done it justice. It's not boring like they made it look, it's actually a highly inventive show which held my attention through-out. Whether it's actually funny though is another matter - I was entertained by all the clever ideas and CGI, but I didn't laugh much (I found the 'annoying thing' cute, is that wrong?).

They've clearly spent an absolute packet on the project. Not only is there all that movie-standard CGI in the show, but check out the official website - I think it's the most detailed and high-budget official site for a British comedy that I've ever seen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/wrongdoor/

And congratulations Phill - I've discovered which sketches were yours and, I have to say, getting to write for those actors (well, two of them) is fantastic. I'm a particularly big fan of A.M. (Have you said which sketches are yours yet? I'm not sure if I needed to be cryptic here or not!).

Is this the one with the dinosaur sketch?

Cool website.

Quote: Mark @ August 28 2008, 12:49 AM BST

I'm a particularly big fan of A.M.

Ooooh, would he be off T.T.O.I.? If so, me too.

Hee. Being (probably) needlessly cryptic is fun.