The Wrong Door Page 8

Tom, from what little I've seen of the show so far, it's not just you. :)

Just saw Brian Blessed in it which is nice.

Pirate Train great idea, poorly executed.

They just ripped off a Viz Cartoon with a mad professor.

I'm just watching it now... how much money have they put into this???

Not alot, cheap nasty CGI.

But still... it seems a little over the top... or is that it's "thing"... terrible FX!

Well it's like pirate train is a great idea, but not stretched over and over.

I thought that looked good...

I watched some of this earlier. Some very predictable sketches i.e. the bulletproof spray one; however, I did find the snooker table sketch very funny and I could see that coming. The only other sketch I liked was the breakdancer who ended up floating away.

Quote: Winterlight @ September 22 2008, 10:08 PM BST

I watched some of this earlier. Some very predictable sketches i.e. the bulletproof spray one; however, I did find the snooker table sketch very funny and I could see that coming. The only other sketch I liked was the breakdancer who ended up floating away.

It's funny how that Jason Nevins remix, of Run DMC's song 'It's like that', which got to number 1 in the charts 10 years ago, is always played on T.V. shows, whenever breakdancing is shown. I used to DJ at a lot of Breakdance competitions, known as B-boy battles, and the truth is, that song is hated by everyone involved in the scene. Even the original 1983 version is average, but compared to Nevins' soulless "Thump, thump" remix, it's a classic. Oh, and these days, breakdancers rarely wear full old skool tracksuits, like the ones in the sketch.

Any of the writer-types care to divulge what the brief was for this? (Even if it's by PM) Just wondering if it is indeed a 'writer your wildest dreams sketch!' or something a bit more substantial?

Ta

Dan

I seem to have lost the original brief somewhere, but it was pretty much write whatever you want.

By the time I got involved there was a pilot script and a ten minute taster although very little got used from either. I think the show evolved quite a lot as it went along, so what was initially asked for wasn't necessarily what was being asked for by the end.

The point was to try and do something with the CGI so that kind of automatically skews you towards fantastical elements since there's no point creating CGI things which are cheaper to buy as a prop.

But yeah, it was basically write whatever you want, make it as fantastical as you like - but no CGI people or animals, they couldn't afford to do the hair. Oh, no CGI water either.

I thought it was a great brief, almost anything you can imagine.

Quote: Phill @ October 3 2008, 12:19 PM BST

I thought it was a great brief, almost anything you can imagine.

Didn't translate to a great series though.

I liked it.

Cheers Phill -- much appreciated.

Dan

Quote: Phill @ October 3 2008, 12:23 PM BST

I liked it.

Well you would, you bloody wrote for it! :D For me, too many of the sketches used CG badly. Its like the idea of what effect came first, how to make it funny came second. Or was just forgotten altogether. Of course there would have been some good stuff in there, but mainly not. I just feel they could have done so much more, but settled for less.