The Wrong Door Page 5

Yes, shut up about your flipping beds! :)

Back to Wrong Door hence forth...

Just watched it, I concur with the general concensus. A few nice ideas but not funny. What was with the dancing girl? Er, jokes please!

I think the payoff for the dancing girl was easy to miss - she dances into a warehouse and gets trapped in a cage where, along with thousands of others, she's forced to dance to generate electricity which is then used to make more dancemats.

I got it. It took a looooooong time to get there though! Seems a very short sketch on paper, stretched out by the producer.

Dan

Yeah I saw the ending it just didn't strike me as funny. Sketch shows are probably the hardest to get right though in fairness. By there very nature they're, er, sketchy.

To be honest I only lasted about ten minutes with this. I am not usually a quitter (I watched every episode of Lab Rats), but ten minutes of sketches that did not raise even the flicker of a smile seemed like an eternity.

The Dinosaur sketch took a premise and then did precisely nothing with it.

Quote: Timbo @ September 2 2008, 12:06 PM BST

To be honest I only lasted about ten minutes with this. I am not usually a quitter (I watched every episode of Lab Rats).

That's probably the most polite damning of a comedy I have ever read. Laughing out loud

Quote: Timbo @ September 2 2008, 12:06 PM BST

To be honest I only lasted about ten minutes with this.

May I commend you on your rational approach? I assume you didn't like it, so you turned it off and did something more useful with your time?

I think it's a bit unfair to comment on something fairly if you've not sat all the way through it. Sketch shows in particular, because there MAY be a little nugget of gold that if you turn off, you'll miss. Even watching Tittybangbang or Little Miss Jocelyn, I stayed to the bitter end. (The masochist streak in me?)

Totally agree. IMO, you can say that "this genre/style/tone isn't for me", but you can't make a full, fair comment on a programme unless you've seen the whole thing, and indeed the whole series if talking as a whole.

I'm with Timbo myself.

If a show (any show) can't hook me in those first ten minutes why would I bother sticking around? As I writer I'm told to to wow in ten pages and I hold my peers to the same standard.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 2 2008, 4:08 PM BST

I'm with Timbo myself.

If a show (any show) can't hook me in those first ten minutes why would I bother sticking around? As I writer I'm told to to wow in ten pages and I hold my peers to the same standard.

Yes that's fine. But then, like they say, I think any opinions you might then express on the show aren't really valid.

Apart from the one that 'it didn't hook you', of course.

Quote: zooo @ September 2 2008, 4:17 PM BST

Yes that's fine. But then, like they say, I think any opinions you might then express on the show aren't really valid.

Apart from the one that 'it didn't hook you', of course.

I disagree. I'm talking about a show as a whole. Does it suddenly go from being shite to great if the last half has a good bit in it? It's still going to be average at best and why would I waste my time with that when there's so much good telly to watch on DVD? Christ almighty, I still have the last season of The Wire to watch yet!

I appreciate that a decent writer may not get their sketch seen my way but them's the breaks.

I might be weird, but sometimes I just don't get something the first time I watch it.

I watched The Usual Suspects all the way through, bored out of my mind, but the end was aMaZiNg, I got all excited, watched it again all the way through and loved the whole film!

So. It probably is just me, but yes, sometimes the end beng good can flick a switch in my brain and I end up suddenly appreciating the whole thing.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 2 2008, 4:33 PM BST

I'm talking about a show as a whole. Does it suddenly go from being shite to great if the last half has a good bit in it? It's still going to be average at best and why would I waste my time with that when there's so much good telly to watch on DVD?

I agree. In general you just don't get shows that veer from being absolutely brilliant to absolutely atrocious. It doesn't happen, and I'd be interested if anybody has any examples of it.

As for Aaron's contention that you can't really pass judgement on something until you've watched the whole series - nonsense. Life's too short to waste watching entire series of substandard shows. Watch an episode, maybe two, but that's more than enough.