The Wrong Door Page 4

Quote: chipolata @ August 29 2008, 12:41 PM BST

Wasn't there a film in which Whoopie Goldberg starred as a cop with a dinosaur partner?

Sure she did...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114658/usercomments

Quote: Griff @ August 29 2008, 12:25 PM BST

I have to say, "Pool" is just about the perfect description for the Critique forum.

You know being as I write about 25% of critique this is feeling abit personal.

I hope you all know when I'm rich and infamous. I'll be writing a sitcom about a group of embittered comedy writers who meet to moan ebdlessly on a forum.

BCG Jabs? Maybe.

Quote: chipolata @ August 29 2008, 12:41 PM BST

Wasn't there a film in which Whoopie Goldberg starred as a cop with a dinosaur partner?

There as also dinotopia and that weird show about undercover dinosaurs who dodged evoloution.

I hope you all know when I'm rich and infamous. I'll be writing a sitcom about a group of embittered comedy writers who meet to moan ebdlessly on a forum.

Yeah, you could call it:

Last Of The Summer Whining

or

Glad These Aren't My Family

:P

Or Are you Being Spell-Checked.

Quote: Griff @ August 29 2008, 1:03 PM BST

Why wait till then? If you start now you could have it finished by two o'clock.

Is there going to be a fight at the next NewsRevue writers meeting?

Saw the first half of this, the spiderman sketch was funny, the rest was not. At all. It was all a bit pointless, an exercise in showing what their computer could do as opposed to writing decent material. What was supposed to be funny about some of those sketches; the dancce mat runner, for instance? Maybe there was better stuff in the second half, but I needed to sleep so I don't know. They could have taken the idea of using these big special effects in a sketch show and produced something really good. But they didn't.

Enjoyed the spiderman and 'marry me' birds sketches, and thought the CGI did make it a bit different. Will keep watching.

Quote: Winterlight @ August 29 2008, 1:14 PM BST

Is there going to be a fight at the next NewsRevue writers meeting?

You innocent you. You think people just stop writing for this forum?

There's a reason the Canal cafe Theatre's on a Canal.

Because it's a canal full of sketch writers murdered at writers meetings.

Writers meeting, more like street fighters meeting.

When people say Griff has a razor sharp wit, they're being quite literal.

A cut throat razor sharp wit from Gillette.

What happens at these NR meetings... apart from the murders?

Is it like this? ....
Each person standing up one by one as if in an AA meeting and saying "I'm *name here* and I'm a writer."

Hmm, didn't think that was all that great to be honest. Again, I thought style over substance. Were there supposed to be that many references to other films/shows/etc? I couldn't tell if it was deliberate or not, which meant that a lot of it looked quite derivative.

Didn't really 'get' Phill's sketch, though the introduction of the two superheroes '... and Dr Fox!' did get a big laugh from me.

The 'annoying thing' sketch(es?) went on way too long, though I suppose that was the point. That took up a big portion of the show though and seemed to stray into 'mini-sitcom' areas without the character development as it was a one-joke idea.

Don't get me wrong, I laughed at a few bits and the fairies was an interesting observation rather than laugh-out-loud funny, but it just didn't blow me away.

Dan

Phill's sketch was the superhero one? Genuinely didn't know or I'd slagged it off. Good work fella.

Just watched it. I really thought it was good.

Quote: Griff @ August 29 2008, 6:44 PM BST

Normally NR Writers Meetings are just a social event, where the NR team give us the latest news (for example, when it looked like there was going to be a NR spinoff in New York) and the director of the next run explains what kind of thing they're looking for. Then they give us writers some free booze as a thankyou and some comp tickets to the show. I've been to about five meetings now, met loads of people as a result (including the esteemed Sooty), and always thoroughly enjoyed myself.

This weekend however they want some work out of us. I think they are going to give us some topics they want covered and say "OK guys - sit down and WRITE." The idea being that we form into partnerships and help each other out with sketches.

Apart from those of us who have scrapped on BSG, who will be forced on stage with nothing but sharpened quills and pieces of foolscap to duel to the death. A sort of Write Club.

Ah, I see.
Free booze sounds good.

And the comp tickets.... would LOVE to see people (not) laughing at my creations. :)

I'll hopefully come to future meetings.

Then, after the show, I'll do my usual thing when I visit London... i.e. go out, get pissed, go clubbing, wake up in strange bed. :P

Quote: Mikey J @ August 30 2008, 5:39 PM BST

wake up in strange bed. :P

One with clean sheets?!

Quote: Winterlight @ August 30 2008, 6:24 PM BST

One with clean sheets?!

I guess they wouldn't be. And they'd be quitre ruffled.

Trouble is, I'd get so zonked with booze that I wouldn't be able to recall how I got there or what happened. :P

OOPS. I guess we've hijacked this thread. Sorry!

What was it about now? Oh, yes.. that Wrong Door nonsense.