Red Dwarf to return

It is very strongly rumoured that Red Dwarf is to return for a one hour special which will begin filming on October/November. This has been hinted at on the show's official website and seemingly confirmed by Robert Llewellyn.

Personally I didn't rate Series VII or VIII so greet this with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation but it should be interesting at any rate.

Apparently something big is happening yeah.

I'd welcome a return.

Cool. I wasn't keen when Kochanski joined full time. Hopefully it'll be a return to form.

Kochanski won't be involved, right? Huh?

Maybe Cat and Lister will have a hilarious knife fight, after taking loads of crack.

I doubt very much that Kochanski will be axed. Sadly.

This is great news. People keep going on about the actors getting too old, but come on, they're not catwalk models, why should their age/looks matter? People don't complain about Leslie Neilson being too old to play Frank Drebin.

That's great.

I love Red Dwarf. :)

Interesting news, however I personally wont be excited until it's actually broadcast. Red Dwarf was the very first British sitcom I ever saw and remains one of my favourites ever. I have been waiting since the end of Series VIII for a follow up to the cliff hanger. I eagerly devoured Red Dwarf news about a possible movie, then a not so possible movie, then a possible movie and so on. Put short, 8 years is a long time to be waiting and it kinds of wears down your optimism. On the other hand, Rob Grant and Doug Naylor seem to have settled their differences since season VI which would bode well for those Series' VII & VIII naysayers. I personally didn't mi,d VII though; it had some of my favourite episodes and moments in it.

Quote: Liam @ August 26 2008, 4:21 AM BST

Interesting news, however I personally wont be excited until it's actually broadcast. Red Dwarf was the very first British sitcom I ever saw and remains one of my favourites ever. I have been waiting since the end of Series VIII for a follow up to the cliff hanger. I eagerly devoured Red Dwarf news about a possible movie, then a not so possible movie, then a possible movie and so on. Put short, 8 years is a long time to be waiting and it kinds of wears down your optimism.

Exactly. I feel about Red Dwarf rumors about the same way I did about Doctor Who rumors in the 1990s. When I hear a confirmed report that they've actually began filming....THEN I'll get excited.

They've "cried wolf" too many times.

NEW Red Dwarf Episode commissioned. \0/

Wahay! :)

Dan

It's been commissioned by BBC Worldwide, so does that mean it's a direct to DVD commission?

This is how that would be much more fondly remembered if it had not been allowed to run on so long. It is difficult to see what can be gained from resurrecting it after all this time. Let the dead lie.

Well, if they resurrect the good bits it'll be fine. ie, just the boys, not that bloody woman. And go for the feel of the early series.

Who knows! Worth them trying though, I think.