Coming Of Age - Pilot & Series 1 Page 2

Leevil, you should watch it, it's good. It's actually written in the traditional way – every third line is gag, etc. It was very sexually crude, with references cocks and fannies etc, but I like that as my own comedy is full of knob jokes

It was filmed in front of a studio audience which I'm actually not snobby about, considering everything from Porridge to Alan Partidge was as well. Whether you like a laughter track or not, the fact is a lot of recent comedies couldn't be done that way, because the long gaps between the laughter would be very noticeable.

I was thinking that you Godot had a pretty similar style of humour to me in your recent dislike of Roman's Empire and G&S etc, but you can't be serious about liking this?

As much as I don't like G&S it's better than this.

This is interesting because we obviously like the same humour. Baynham, Coogan, Morris, Hicks... a great list, and so much more meaningful to me than Cleese, French, Walliams, Mortimer for example.

I think the problem with 'Coming of Age' is it's about 18 year olds and you're 18. I probably wouldn't find a comedy about people my age funny either. Then again people my age don't wear their trousers in such a way that it looks like they've got little legs and a long body.

When I get more time I'll check out some of your stuff.

When did this coming of age come on! and where can I watch the repeat... I want to know whether this guys setting back young writers 10 years.

Paul, see my previous post (page 1, penultimate).

I only saw a few minutes, what is it Grange Hill? How old are they?

Who cares about the adventures of some brats?

I switched it on as a girl sat there with her faced covered in what I can only hope was moisturising cream. Otherwise I'm letting my outraged opinions be known on Points of View, that'll show 'em.

Thoughts throughout the programme:

1 minute in:'Oooo it's written by a 19 year old, maybe it'll be interesting.'
3 minutes in:'Ooooook it's got Tracy Beaker in it.'
6 minutes in:' Pfft. I'm going to bed.'

Quote: Leevil @ May 27, 2007, 8:47 PM

I only saw a few minutes, what is it Grange Hill? How old are they?

Who cares about the adventures of some brats?

I switched it on as a girl sat there with her faced covered in what I can only hope was moisturising cream. Otherwise I'm letting my outraged opinions be known on Points of View, that'll show 'em.

Mayonnaise, if I remember rightly.

The absolute worst thing I've ever seen. Ever.

Quote: wonderboy85 @ June 16, 2007, 12:14 PM

The absolute worst thing I've ever seen. Ever.

Then you should watch Hulk. That'll change your opinion.

Dan

No, no!

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,,2137343,00.html

"He has just commissioned a sitcom written by 19-year-old Tim Dawson, called Coming of Age. "That's a big risk in a way, but that's exactly the sort of risk I want to take. It's young people writing about the lives of other young people."

That should be ... interesting.

My friend is in that, but I'm not sure quite what it will do for her career.

I'm amazed that the bbc are comissioning another as it really is absurdly filthy!

That's putting it a bit lightly! Laughing out loud

I think I'm going to have to download it and watch again if I get the chance though.

Yes it was rather rude wasn't it.

I believe it was the new head of BBC3 (Danny Cohen) who has given the go-ahead for the full production run. He's clearly a fan of swearing and naughtiness what with the BBC Trust having to tell the channel off recently for putting 'F**k' in too many programme titles. It looks like Cohen's paid attention - I note tonight he's devoted a whole hour of the schedule to the study of the C word. (The C Word: How We Came to Swear By It - 10:30pm)

(There's an interesting fake Danny Cohen blog online. It's written by someone who clearly knows the TV industry very well and also hates Cohen! http://thetvcontroller.blogspot.com )