Gavin & Stacey Page 36

'Cos maybe one will hit them on the head and knock them out cold?

Quote: Oliver @ April 25 2008, 1:01 PM BST

Yeah but things that dominate because they are good srew business etc, hence the responses. G&S is pretty lame

I LOVE YOU SEEFACTS!!!!!!!!!!! WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Gavin and Stacey = most boring, cliched, worthless program ever = for old and stupid common people!

James Corden is a fat bloke! Wow! That's brilliant

'oh look a welsh idiot and an essex prat get married and they 'luv each over!'

lets all cry and laugh and throw baftas at them

Oliver, I would like you to qualify your idea that G&S is for 'old and stupid common people'...failure to do so will lend weight to my belief that you posted an ill thought out and brainless comment.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 25 2008, 1:46 PM BST

Oliver, I would like you to qualify your idea that G&S is for 'old and stupid common people'...failure to do so will lend weight to my belief that you posted an ill thought out and brainless comment.

OH NO! Shit, do I have 28 days to reply!

Will my License To Think be revoked?

No, but by making such a strong statement and then refusing to back it up with any kind of cogent argument - it does indicate that perhaps your license should be.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 25 2008, 2:20 PM BST

No, but by making such a strong statement and then refusing to back it up with any kind of cogent argument - it does indicate that perhaps your license should be.

Well, I think the first thing to do would be to ressurect some Nazi's, burn some books, kidnap and gag a few artists, and then get them to help you punish me for my insolence....

...which of course I should be because I didn't respond to you at an exam level, with 'cohesive' arguments.

I can only assume you must know someone or you write for this show!

And if you do that does not suprise me.

chill out Grandad!! :)) Happy thoughts

Um, okay. I just think that on a site geared towards intelligent discussion regarding sitcom, it makes sense that arguments should be backed up with some kind of thought process.

I don't work on G&S, but I do work in the creative side of the industry. I don't know you, but if you have any kind of aspirations in the field, then you will have to up your game.

if not, that's cool, keep on truckin' - and keep on keeping me in work! peace.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 25 2008, 2:48 PM BST

Um, okay. I just think that on a site geared towards intelligent discussion regarding sitcom, it makes sense that arguments should be backed up with some kind of thought process.

I don't work on G&S, but I do work in the creative side of the industry. I don't know you, but if you have any kind of aspirations in the field, then you will have to up your game.

if not, that's cool, keep on truckin' - and keep on keeping me in work! peace.

#

Ha Ha, if only you knew! But you kept going so I give in

Here's your synopis of why it appeals to the lower IQ levels:

Essex prats, Welsh monkeys. Boring information, emotion for morons.

jokes involving police in wales who cant stop talking but let you go when you commit an offence

hilariouus...:(

or

gay jokes involving brokeback mountain

or

a granny who uses facebook

All things that just about everyone no matter how retarded or incontinent can understand! No laugh out loud, witty, fast paced, new, or otherwise intelligent material.

Maybe next season they could do a joke about someone having sex with a sheep

Ok, you're giving examples of why you dont like it - and true enough, you have highlighted a couple of jokes that are 'obvious' at best. And I agree that the show is certainly not deserving of the critical acclaim it appears to be enojying.

However, the question I asked was why you thought only 'stupid common people' would like it. Your implied connection between people of 'lower' social class and lack of intelligence is spurious, at best. It betrays an ill conceived prejudice.

I'm interested though, what part of the industry do you work in?

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 25 2008, 3:08 PM BST

Ok, you're giving examples of why you dont like it - and true enough, you have highlighted a couple of jokes that are 'obvious' at best. And I agree that the show is certainly not deserving of the critical acclaim it appears to be enojying.

However, the question I asked was why you thought only 'stupid common people' would like it. Your implied connection between people of 'lower' social class and lack of intelligence is spurious, at best. It betrays an ill conceived prejudice.

I'm interested though, what part of the industry do you work in?

No no!

I am really not one for political correctness. Stupid common people like simple jokes. If I said 'common people' are 'stupid' that would be different.

The Uk thrives on stupid common people

Who do you think buys Jade Goody/usher/britney spears perfume. Who watches Hotel Babylon, who goes into the cinema and pays to see 'EPIC MOVIE'

STUPID COMMON PEOPLE: (singing) 'we do....we do!'

Hey man, Hotel Babylon is most totally excellent.

And, as Ian and charisma will no doubt tell us, it co-stars Emma Pierson.

Oliver, thanks for explaining. I see what you're saying, benefit of the doubt awarded.

You are 100% correct re Hotel Babylon, although I might expand that to say stupid middle class people like it just as much, if not more.

Sacrilege!

I always assumed the phrase 'stupid common people' referred to the middle classes, not the lower classes. After all, there's nothing more homogenous than the middle classes. They all drink wine for example, whereas working class people drink anything from Cinzano to White Lightning. And most middle class people are very stupid, they're just well educated, which hides a multitude of sins.

I watched chunks of G&S on Youtube last night and I'm sold cos it made me laugh :D

i've done the same today and really liked what i saw! Very different to the episode i watched on TV.

either the episode was a bad one or the show is best viewed as 2 min highlights on youtube!