The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 765

I don't watch MOTD

Not seen it for years as my team is not in the premier league

I put it on on Saturday out of curiosity

I don't think I am alone in doing this....

Yes, there may have been something in the news that caused more people than usual to show an interest in MOTD last Saturday. :) If they stuck with the '20 minute performance art piece' format for good, the ratings would drop off soon enough.

(Not to say that MOTD somehow couldn't survive without the current presenting line-up, far from it. But you still need some sort of commentary/punditry to justify it, y'know, being a TV show).

Quote: Crindy @ 13th March 2023, 11:19 PM

Yes, there may have been something in the news that caused more people than usual to show an interest in MOTD last Saturday. :) If they stuck with the '20 minute performance art piece' format for good, the ratings would drop off soon enough.

(Not to say that MOTD somehow couldn't survive without the current presenting line-up, far from it. But you still need some sort of commentary/punditry to justify it, y'know, being a TV show).

I think we should have 2 options. One just the action and one with all the (extended) bullshit.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2023, 8:06 AM

I think we should have 2 options. One just the action and one with all the (extended) bullshit.

Yes 👍

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2023, 8:06 AM

There already are those options. :) Sky Sports stick the match highlights on YouTube for free a couple of hours after the final whistle. Well before MOTD comes along, and not a pundit or a Gary Lineker in sight.

Quote: Crindy @ 14th March 2023, 9:42 AM

There already are those options. :) Sky Sports stick the match highlights on YouTube for free a couple of hours after the final whistle. Well before MOTD comes along, and not a pundit or a Gary Lineker in sight.

Free even if you haven't got Sky Sports?

Quote: Chappers @ 14th March 2023, 5:09 PM

Free even if you haven't got Sky Sports?

Yes. I haven't got Sky Sports and they always work for me. :) Not super-extensive highlights, but about the same per match that you got in the presenter-and-pundit-free MOTD.

Here's all the action from the most goal-packed game of last weekend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRQ9-TXiZzA

You don't need to go on YouTube either - the highlights are up their on their website free to view too

Well, Fulham rather threw that away 🥴

Mitrovic is off his head

Loony

I hate Man Utd but it was a definite pen and it had to be a red card

Don't see how he could see any injustice

Fulham winning 1 - 0 and holding Man U, then 39 seconds of madness.
Hand ball - off. Push/grab ref - off. Manager foul language - off.

Rather hoping C4 don't get too many of the Euros matches.
The match was fascinating (and nerve wracking towards the end - lucky penalty IMHO)) but there was zero analysis as to why the two halves were so different.
All we got was endless banging on about Harry Kane's record.
Even Harry Kane didn't want to talk about it, trying to shoehorn some comment on the team's performance.
But no, let's read out Wayne Rooney's tweet instead.
The Beeb, Sky or BT would have done a proper job.

BT sports wouldn't have.
I really am not against women football commentators but one of them on BT is absolutely annoying. (it would be the same for either sex but it happens to be a woman)
She has a thinly disguised Brummie accent (that occasionally slips into full Brummie) and adds absolutely nothing to the game.
She says things like 'If you want to win the game, you have to score goals.......
And, 'If the shot is not on target, it's never going in (she's never heard of deflections)

Agreed,
Of the three I mentioned, BT is the least good.
No-one is as awful as Dion Dublin though - worst side-kick ever.
R5 Live have by far the best commentators IMHO.
Because they have to describe the actual game they don't go wandering off into pointless rambles.
Trouble is there's usually a delay, so it's a bugger to line them up with the telly.
Love it on the Beeb when you get the Red Dot R5 commentary option

Good to see Crystal palace doing their bit in getting older people back into the workforce.