The Death of British Comedy Page 13

The reason you perceive the discussion to be about you is that you have given us very little concrete material to "discuss", as you ostensibly requested at the outset. Come on, chatty bear, what specific 21st century comedy do you dislike, and how, precisely, has it been hampered? TV shows, films, stand-ups, whatever you like.

The funny thing is, we may occasionally agree...

More than a little bit of unfriendliness to a new poster here me thinks, whatever his views are.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 13th February 2022, 8:59 PM

Censorship of this sort is not new, I once saw a bootleg recording of Terry & June. All copies of the show were supposed to have been destroyed and you could see why it was pulled. In it Terry beats June to the kitchen floor because she spoke to their new black neighbour. I am also reliably informed the there was an episode of Bless this House where Sid James gets his lad out in the living room and calls the vicar a c**t.

???

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 13th February 2022, 8:18 PM

I think you're wrong to say comedy was previously censored. Python's 'The Life of Brian' was hugely criticized, but never banned.

Both of these points are utter nonsense.

Life Of Brian WAS banned. Not nationally, but in various towns under the powers afforded to local councils. One town in South Wales, I believe, only permitted the first screening in its local cinema in about 2018.

As for the censorship of comedy, in British broadcasting it has always been the case. That censorship has simply been applied more explicitly than implicitly at different times, and put different sensibilities on different targets and topics.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Book_(BBC)

Quote: beaky @ 13th February 2022, 9:19 PM

Margot would have been a splendid dominatrix

"Every Home Should Have One"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th July 2020, 5:05 AM

If you want to see Penelope Keith as a German dominatrix lesbian in black leather then this is the film for you..........................................

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th February 2022, 10:43 PM

Why are you still humouring this nitwit?
This is the guy who said Anders Breivic had the right idea - he just went about it the wrong way.

Why don't you read the post again and stop your lies! Dishonesty is another pet dislike of mine.

"What Brejvik did was 100% wrong. What he saw happening around him was right"
Ruprecht the Bear

Quote: Will Cam @ 13th February 2022, 10:58 PM

More than a little bit of unfriendliness to a new poster here me thinks, whatever his views are.

My views are whatever the trolls have assumed they are, not what I've said.
You have some nasty characters on this forum, who can't help but continue to pop-up and poster attack. Every now and again they get warned off, but like children, they come back in their little gangs and I don't think that will stop.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th February 2022, 8:52 AM

"What Brejvik did was 100% wrong. What he saw happening around him was right"
Ruprecht the Bear

That's better. Now point out the part where I say he was right to do what he did.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 8:54 AM

That's better. Now point out the part where I say he was right to do what he did.

Only if you point to the bit where I said, you said, he was right to do what he did.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 8:54 AM

You have some nasty characters on this forum, who can't help but continue to pop-up and poster attack.

Yup

Look Lazzard, you and your fellow travellers have been warned several times to behave and stay on track. You can't do it, can you. You're not here to dicuss comedy, you're here to air your political views and troll. OK, it's an anonymous forum, but if you're the future in real life, God help us.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th February 2022, 9:00 AM

Only if you point to the bit where I said, you said, he was right to do what he did.

You didn't say he was right, you said I agreed with what he did which is a lie! You're a nasty character Lazzard.

You're getting the drift

So I thought Ok, I'll have another go. Back to Allan Carr live at the Apollo. Emerges through a cloud of smoke and I thought it was a game show, but everyone cheered and clapped polietly.

Started off with a joke about a fat woman slipping and falling which was a bit risky, but he got away with it. Followed by an inheritence 'joke' in which he said many on the property ladder hoped their parents would die so they could inherit. He then continued and described his estate agent as looking as if someone had sown her head onto a beanbag. (Oh how I laughed - rolls eyes). Then came the 'joke'. His estate agent showed him a property with wait for it, the jokes coming ... It was no bigger than this (shows a small space with his arm) It was like a panic room with a kettle! The audience cheered and clapped at that, but that's when I stopped. I'd just had enough.

Try Sarah Millican, to my mind the funniest comedian in the UK. You might find her a little vulgar - well, very vulgar - but she's brilliant.

Alan Carr is much better on chat shows than stand up, in my opinion.

Fleabag
Toast of London
Derry Girls
What we do in the Shadows
The Thick of It
Car Share
Detectorists
Rev
Still Game
Black Books

Watch these and report back.

Quote: gappy @ 13th February 2022, 10:47 PM

The reason you perceive the discussion to be about you is that you have given us very little concrete material to "discuss", as you ostensibly requested at the outset. Come on, chatty bear, what specific 21st century comedy do you dislike, and how, precisely, has it been hampered? TV shows, films, stand-ups, whatever you like.

The funny thing is, we may occasionally agree...

You haven't noticed the personal attacks Gappy? There's 13 pages to plough through here where I gave my opinions on why I think British comedy is in decline. Some agree some don't, which is how it should be.