The Death of British Comedy Page 17

Whoops, it seems a comedian has gone to far and put out a career ending 'joke.'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/jeremy-clarkson-defends-jimmy-carr-holocaust-joke-142711626.html

Should he have said it? It doesn't matter, he's now bait for the offended. (I know what he feels like).

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 4:16 PM

I don't think enough data has survived on music of the Arawak tribes to differentiate, really. There's the nyabinghi percussion tradition in Jamaica, of course, but that has a devotional rather than territorial or social association. Is that the sort of answer you wanted? Or were you hoping I'd say something about their funny hats?

You should check out the American comedians, Rupert, you'd like them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXn-g1s4T8

Nice diversion from having to answer the question. :)

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 5:14 PM

Should he have said it? It doesn't matter, he's now bait for the offended. (I know what he feels like).

I really don't think you realise who is baiting whom in this scenario.

He won't be cancelled.
A few people on both sides of the argument will make a fuss and he'll keep raking it in.
Does this mean you like Jimmy Carr now?

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 5:30 PM

I really don't think you realise who is baiting whom in this scenario.

I thought bear baiting was illegal ?

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th February 2022, 5:31 PM

He won't be cancelled.
A few people on both sides of the argument will make a fuss and he'll keep raking it in.
Does this mean you like Jimmy Carr now?

I don't know whether I like him or not, I haven't come across him. It's not what he said, it's that he's a public figure and he criticised a minority. That will persue him for what's left of his career. He should have come on here first and presented it to your PC censorship commitee, comrade. :)

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 6:15 PM

he criticised a minority.

He didn't.
Listen to the joke.
it's actually quite a clever joke that plays with the prejudices of his audience.
He reminds us that it was not only Jews that were killed in the death camps - but also Gypsy's, who's fate is often left out of the history books.
He then pulls the rug and says, essentially - "so not all bad news then".
Which of course plays into the very prejudice that has led to Gypsy's being ignored when it comes to the genocidal behaviour of the Nazis.
Not sure he landed it though.
Would have worked with a Stewart Lee crowd.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 3:55 PM

Ws that sarcasm or a genuine comment?

It was in fact . . . a joke.
Following your suggestion that certain topics are taboo, I was attempting an immigration-based joke that might be acceptable to (and possibly even applauded by) a modern audience because it appears to be going in a dodgy direction but then veers around and hits me right in the face.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 6:15 PM

I don't know whether I like him or not, I haven't come across him. It's not what he said, it's that he's a public figure and he criticised a minority. That will persue him for what's left of his career. He should have come on here first and presented it to your PC censorship commitee, comrade. :)

He'll be fine. Saying Jimmy Carr told a dodgy joke is like saying Tyson Fury has a violent streak: it might upset people, but those present are getting what they paid for, and it certainly won't adversely affect their career.

Unlike Lazzard, I don't think it's much of a gag, but not because it's near the knuckle. He's written some very good (and naughty) jokes that I do like, though.

You'd enjoy him, look him up, it's all on YouTube and Netflix and the DVDs cost literally pennies second-hand.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 14th February 2022, 7:03 PM

I heard this in the voice of David Mitchell on WILTY.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th February 2022, 6:30 PM

He didn't.
Listen to the joke.
it's actually quite a clever joke that plays with the prejudices of his audience.
He reminds us that it was not only Jews that were killed in the death camps - but also Gypsy's, who's fate is often left out of the history books.
He then pulls the rug and says, essentially - "so not all bad news then".
Which of course plays into the very prejudice that has led to Gypsy's being ignored when it comes to the genocidal behaviour of the Nazis.
Not sure he landed it though.
Would have worked with a Stewart Lee crowd.

The Irish tinkers to which he was referring to are not Romany gypsies, they're travellers who live in modern caravans. The ones in the concentration camps were European Romany gypsies. His problem is he insuted a modern day PC defined minority and he'll pay for that.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 14th February 2022, 7:03 PM

Following your suggestion that certain topics are taboo, I was attempting an immigration-based joke that might be acceptable to (and possibly even applauded by) a modern audience because it appears to be going in a dodgy direction but then veers around and hits me right in the face.

I wasn't suggesting that certain topics are taboo, it was a statement, as Jimmy Carr just found out.
Sorry, it's me, I didn't get the joke. :)

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 7:33 PM

He'll be fine. Saying Jimmy Carr told a dodgy joke is like saying Tyson Fury has a violent streak: it might upset people, but those present are getting what they paid for, and it certainly won't adversely affect their career.

Unlike Lazzard, I don't think it's much of a gag, but not because it's near the knuckle. He's written some very good (and naughty) jokes that I do like, though.

You'd enjoy him, look him up, it's all on YouTube and Netflix and the DVDs cost literally pennies second-hand.

I heard this in the voice of David Mitchell on WILTY.

Tyson keeps his violence in the ring, Carr brought his un-pc comment out into the public. Big difference. You can think what you like, as long as you don't say it?

Boxing matches don't happen in secret bunkers, you know. They're spectator events, like comedy gigs. I have to say, your grasp of context is shaky at best, mate.

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 7:58 PM

Boxing matches don't happen in secret bunkers, you know. They're spectator events, like comedy gigs. I have to say, your grasp of context is shaky at best, mate.

I didn't say they do.
There is no context, what you're doing is trying to find excuses. Carr was PC censored, full stop. For seventeen pages people have been saying, 'what censorship'? Yet when there's an example of comedy censorship you still don't believe it.
What he said might have gone down well, or not, but bet your life he won't be saying it again. Which has been my point all the way through this thread. If you take away free speech you get what someone has been told to give you and the result is a bland and boring parody of what used to be great British comedy.

He won't tell it again because it's on a blockbuster Netflix special (kerr-ching!!) and will be replayed a gazillion times. It's old material now. And he wasn't censored. Some people didn't like it, that's all. It's mainly raised his profile - bit like when he was caught fiddling his tax.

You don't know what censored means, big bear.

I think I've discovered the issue, you're experiencing the 21st century third-hand. You've not heard of Jimmy Carr; you've not read any complaints about the joke he told with an ironic preface that it might get him cancelled; you've only read Jeremy Clarkson's dead-eyed defence of the potential cancellation that was no real risk to Jimmy Carr's career.

No wonder you didn't get Stewart Lee.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 10:00 PM

What he said might have gone down well, or not, but bet your life he won't be saying it again.

I'm not certain, but I think it may be in the show he is currently touring.

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 10:20 PM

You don't know what censored means, big bear.

I think I've discovered the issue, you're experiencing the 21st century third-hand. You've not heard of Jimmy Carr; you've not read any complaints about the joke he told with an ironic preface that it might get him cancelled; you've only read Jeremy Clarkson's dead-eyed defence of the potential cancellation that was no real risk to Jimmy Carr's career.

No wonder you didn't get Stewart Lee.

Gappy, you're beginning to sound as if you're living in a fantasy world.

I've just watched Jimmy Carr, how can you say I've never heard of him? I've just given you a link to the trouble he's in. It's been criticized at government level, not just by Clarkson. Of course it will be copied and re-played again, but he won't continue doing it in public, that's guaranteed.

Earlier, I gave a link from a comedian I was given which said he was making Muslim jokes, except he didn't and spent his time criticising those that did. Look at the backlash I had when I mentioned a dislike of homosexual BEHAVIOUR. That turned into a hatred of PEOPLE, followed by nonsense of pink explosions and a warning that the forum would collapse (I assume under a plague of locusts) which stopped the conversation dead. In Thailand it wasn't allowed to make fun of the King. In China the CCP, in N. Korea, anything. In the UK it's minorities. Yes, I know what censorship is and the different methods it uses.

Censorship is subtle and it's visible, but not to those that participate in it. It's why I started a website of my own where I'm free to make fun of the stupified society we now live in.