The Death of British Comedy Page 16

I'd kill for a deadline good luck with it, this threads dead . And I've just discovered that I have a pack of three digestives in my lunch box to dunk in my Oxtail soup happy days.

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 12:35 PM

Deep in your argument is a false syllogism: I don't like that PC stuff they have now + I don't like Live At The Apollo = PC stuff means that comedians aren't funny. You keep on making this case, but it doesn't get any more valid with repetition. You're making causative connections where there are none, for the most part. That's OK, you can hold both these views, but there's no call to connect them: it's like saying that the reason there are more school shootings in the US now is that there are vegan options in McDonalds. - not everything that correlates is proof of influence.

Funnily enough, I don't like a lot of the Apollo type comedians, and I don't care for most panel shows or R4 satires. There is also plenty about 2022 society I disagree with (just as there was in 1972). But I've not synthesised these standpoints,

I'm not trying to make a valid case, I'm stating my opinion. I've listened to the new comedians and I simply don't find their content funny. I don't blame them as they're restricted in what they can say. They can ridicule Christ, but not Mohammed. They could poke fun at Churchill, but not Nelson Mandella. It's not a social construct, it's political. People didn't suddenly stand up and say we want PC comedy, they were told they're getting it and over a period of time it became normalized.

It's simply dull boring PC laden c**p. 

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 14th February 2022, 12:45 PM

I'd kill for a deadline good luck with it, this threads dead . And I've just discovered that I have a pack of three digestives in my lunch box to dunk in my Oxtail soup happy days.

You're off then. Promise? How sorry I am to see you go. :)

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 12:08 PM

'I found a mouse in my house and nearly had kittens'.

Not a terrible joke. Could have fit in a Tommy Cooper or Steven Wright set decades ago,

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 12:45 PM

I'm not trying to make a valid case, I'm stating my opinion.

If you really want to know what's wrong with 21st century culture, you just nailed it.

I don't think the old comedians would have delivered their comedy about gypsies or pakistanis in the language you've described, but they certainly did variations of it which reflected the social consensus, real or percieved, of that era.

But much of what you're railing against is comedians today "reflecting the social consensus, real or perceived" of THIS era. The fact you are at odds with that modern social consensus and don't find the comedians working in it funny, does not mean that they are objectively not funny.

Not so now, certain topics are out of bounds. Race, ethnicity, colour, Islam, immigration ... are definite no, no's.

This is also utter nonsense. You're embarrassing yourself, Rupert Bear. You initially raised a valid discussion - changes in comedy - and I don't think it would be right to criticise anyone for feeling alienated as culture changes and they don't keep up with it; but when you react to that by not watching anything, then making sweeping statements like this that are palpably and categorically untrue, it just makes you look a cretin and devalues the original point you had made.

Wading through thid thread was certainly a journey! Incidentally, Stewart Lee did a routine about Islamic stand up a few years back, just to show that modern comedy isn't constrained to the topics mentioned already.

https://youtu.be/wOb2KQHr7V0

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 12:48 PM

If you really want to know what's wrong with 21st century culture, you just nailed it.

This may well be the wisest thing ever said on this forum.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 14th February 2022, 1:56 PM

Wading through thid thread was certainly a journey! Incidentally, Stewart Lee did a routine about Islamic stand up a few years back, just to show that modern comedy isn't constrained to the topics mentioned already.

Sublime.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 14th February 2022, 12:45 PM

I'd kill for a deadline good luck with ii

Bit dreary, but pays the bills.
Digestives, eh? Flash.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 13th February 2022, 9:28 PM

Yes, The Life of Brian had an 18 rating, but today it wouldn't have any. It would be banned as it would be sure to offend someone. If it were made about Allah it would possibly produce a terrorist attack, as in Charlie Hebdo. So, you couldn't have another piece of comedy like it.

I just thought, have you seen Four Lions?

To be honest they were Morning Coffee I was just trying to big myself up .

Quote: Feeoree @ 14th February 2022, 11:39 AM

Your first post on the thread had "Remove our national character, our tribal identity, and the global melting pot killed our sense of humour." which seems political to me.

He loves tribal identities, but he hates tribal drums - you have to walk on eggshells when talking to some people nowadays!!!?!

I keep seeing a time Travelling Roman at Goodison Park standing in the crowd when there's foul and he is livid because they other player never finished them off with a sword while they were down.
TOFFEE
Bad foul that lad

CENTURION
You call this sport? This crowd is clueless he didn't even disembowel him.

TOFFEE
Thats modern stadium support for you

CENTURION
Back in my day they at least had lions chasing blind people, you call this entertaiment.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 14th February 2022, 2:45 PM

To be honest they were Morning Coffee I was just trying to big myself up .

Ha ha!

certain topics are out of bounds. Race, ethnicity, colour, Islam, immigration ... are definite no, no's.

Immigration? It shouldn't be allowed. In fact, if it gets any worse in Britain, I'm going to find a country that doesn't allow immigration and move there.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 14th February 2022, 1:56 PM

From ten years ago. No Sitcom, he was having a go at the Daily Mail and criticized ficticious people, not islam. Half way through he runs around the stage for two minutes like an idiot which the audience found hilarious. He never got around to making fun of Islam and even ten years ago, he wouldn't dare. He ended up criticising those who criticize. Just wasted eight minutes waiting for something that didn't happen!

Quote: alison blunderland @ 14th February 2022, 3:07 PM

Immigration? It shouldn't be allowed. In fact, if it gets any worse in Britain, I'm going to find a country that doesn't allow immigration and move there.

Ws that sarcasm or a genuine comment?

Quote: gappy @ 14th February 2022, 2:48 PM

He loves tribal identities, but he hates tribal drums - you have to walk on eggshells when talking to some people nowadays!!!?!

English tribal drums or Jamaican ones?

Quote: Aaron @ 14th February 2022, 1:03 PM

But much of what you're railing against is comedians today "reflecting the social consensus, real or perceived" of THIS era. The fact you are at odds with that modern social consensus and don't find the comedians working in it funny, does not mean that they are objectively not funny.

This is also utter nonsense. You're embarrassing yourself, Rupert Bear. You initially raised a valid discussion - changes in comedy - and I don't think it would be right to criticise anyone for feeling alienated as culture changes and they don't keep up with it; but when you react to that by not watching anything, then making sweeping statements like this that are palpably and categorically untrue, it just makes you look a cretin and devalues the original point you had made.

I HAVE watched the new type of comedians and I don't find their content funny. I'm simply comparing humour from a few decades ago to today's. Additionally, I think PC ruined it. I don't mean to disparage efforts, but I look at the jokes critique thread and I don't find those funny either. Of course, others will and I accept that and I also think generally that the younger the reader the more they'll identify with the 'new' type of comedy. It's the audience it was intended for.

I'm not out to win a battle here, among a swarm of sometimes angry wasps buzzing around. I fully accept times change, but I believe that progress in comedy has not been beneficial. I don't think anyone want society to revert back forty years, but I wish comedy would.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 14th February 2022, 3:55 PM

English tribal drums or Jamaican ones?

I don't think enough data has survived on music of the Arawak tribes to differentiate, really. There's the nyabinghi percussion tradition in Jamaica, of course, but that has a devotional rather than territorial or social association. Is that the sort of answer you wanted? Or were you hoping I'd say something about their funny hats?

You should check out the American comedians, Rupert, you'd like them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXn-g1s4T8