The Death of British Comedy Page 19

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th September 2022, 11:54 AM

Pre woke comedy in the UK, when comedians did what they were supposed to do and make people laugh, with no hidden agenda. I can hear the accusations of racism, but there was no malice in Milligan's work, and full marks to the gorgeous Katie Boyle for keeping a straight face.

Never tire of watching this, with the brilliant David Lodge

It's hard to think of a better example of why making jokes of nationalities can be very funny. Their own nationalities are included too (laughing at themselves). To be effectively banned because some members of nationalities can't laugh at themselves is ☹.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th September 2022, 1:58 PM

There are millions of ways of making people laugh that don't necessarily belittle other people.

Please name them all.

Oh dear, you've made me watch it again - so effin' hysterically funny, with Milligan clearly enjoying it all immensely. As has been said before many times - he was a comedy genius. The grand master of British comedy who dragged it out of the post war era drab. Love the man!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th September 2022, 3:49 PM

"That'll be a £1 extra, sir" Gets me every time! ???

I'm gone before he even says it, Spike's hands where they are and his whole scrunched up posture has me rolling. ? I've known Jewish people who'd have genuinely howled at that too.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st October 2022, 9:38 AM

so effin' hysterically funny, with Milligan clearly enjoying it all immensely.

It seems to be the gun shot that sets him off. I wonder if it wasn't rehearsed with the gun going off, he seems to be surprised by the loudness of it and all the smoke. Just makes it even funnier.

Brilliant. How did Katie keep a straight face?

Yes, that's what I said - the little darling. I'm in love. ?

Must be me, I don't find that particularly amusing, maybe because I knew all the jokes, they're ancient.

Quote: beaky @ 5th October 2022, 2:29 PM

Must be me, I don't find that particularly amusing, maybe because I knew all the jokes, they're ancient.

It's you ? We all know the joke - it's the presentation and the sheer enjoyment in the execution of the fly in the soup gags.

This will always be my favourite.
Made me weep with laughter the first time I saw it.
And still does today.

Ahh, British staple - the good old raspberry tart. Should bring a smile to any face.

I think comedy can be funny and PC. My 3 fave comedies Frasier, Friends, and Seinfeld did not avoid political correctness.
You can be funny and avoid bigotry or hate filled jokes.
Mind you I think there are still some really nasty comedians around. You do not need to be offensive to be funny. But there is still some morally good edgy comedy.
I like most comedy. But I do not like comedy that supports evil and abuse.
Comedy can be a force for good or evil.
Comedy can be PC and attack the bad guys, and that comedy can be edgy, and still be funny.