The Death of British Comedy Page 18

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 15th February 2022, 8:44 AM

...how can you say I've never heard of him?

Literally 14 ½ hours ago...

"I don't know whether I like him or not, I haven't come across him."

I doubt very much that Carr's next gig will feature much from HIs Dark Material, because people would feel short-changed, as most punters will have watched it, as Lazzard kindly already explained. But I bet you it will feature equally contentious material. Tell you what, let's come back in 6 months, and see whether Jimmy Carr's career has ended.

You said you weren't aware of JC yesterday, so if you've now watched him, what did you think?

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 15th February 2022, 8:44 AM

Censorship is subtle and it's visible, but not to those that participate in it. It's why I started a website of my own where I'm free to make fun of the stupified society we now live in.

Incidentally, how will your website be free of censorship, as you define it? Just because you don't predict enough traffic to cause any waves? (That wasn't meant to be as catty as it looks, but I'll leave it, because it's a sincere question).

Also, I looked at your site, and couldn't see any Muslim jokes. Quick, put some up, it's important that there are Muslim jokes. Whenever a Muslim joke is not told, comedy dies a little more. Best write some gags about the Holocaust too, because Jimmy's not allowed to do his one that's on Netflix.

Quote: gappy @ 15th February 2022, 9:01 AM

I doubt very much that Carr's next gig will feature much from HIs Dark Material, because people would feel short-changed, as most punters will have watched it, as Lazzard kindly already explained. But I bet you it will feature equally contentious material. Tell you what, let's come back in 6 months, and see whether Jimmy Carr's career has ended.

You said you weren't aware of JC yesterday, so if you've now watched him, what did you think?

Incidentally, how will your website be free of censorship, as you define it? Just because you don't predict enough traffic to cause any waves? (That wasn't meant to be as catty as it looks, but I'll leave it, because it's a sincere question).

Also, I looked at your site, and couldn't see any Muslim jokes. Quick, put some up, it's important that there are Muslim jokes. Whenever a Muslim joke is not told, comedy dies a little more. Best write some gags about the Holocaust too, because Jimmy's not allowed to do his one that's on Netflix.

The site will be free of censorship because I have control of posted content (duh!). Obviously, there are boundaries of decency between humour and attacks, but it will certainly lack PC.
I don't expect my site to be another 'The Onion.' I've only just started it and need to pace myself. The stuff I write takes at least a day per 250 word post, because I'm trying to use a type of humour I prefer, not humourless bland PC which I could churn out by the pageful. A lot of promotion work to do yet, which all takes time. Yes, there will be Muslim humour (hopefully coming later this week as the landing page changes to new content), but the site will not be a safe space for protected minorities, or politicians.

Yes, you're right, maybe it won't take off. In which case as I design my own website, SEO and produce my own content, I'll have lost £50 which is what it cost for the one year server hosting. £1pw for those willing to put in the work, try publishing your own content online, it's not as difficult as it seems. You can then 'cold-call' organizations looking for scripts to your own website to showcase your efforts.

At heart, the problem lies in definig what humour is. To me, it's anything that raises a laugh, or at the very least a smile, regardless of content.
Some of you here use subconscious bias instead. You read, or listen and your minds are busy analyzing whether it ticks acceptable boxes. Does it offend? Is the topic 'safe'? Is it using acceptable words? Only then is it deemed suitable as comedy. It's why the jokes are so bland, they're perfect for a speech censored society that some of you find funny, but only because they've been written using the PC language you've learned. It's not something I'm used to, or would wish to get used to.

It's why the comedians of today aren't a patch on what went before, they're working with one hand tied behind their backs and why I previously asked for someone to find me good comedy in censored societies.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 15th February 2022, 10:57 AM

The site will be free of censorship because I have control of posted content (duh!).

Of course, you control the content, but you don't control the hosting. If Carr's holocaust joke were to end up being removed because of public outcry - and I reiterate, there appears to be no danger of that - it would be Netflix's decision, not his. But it's highly unlikely to happen to you, I'd suggest, even if lots of people complain about your site.

Anyway, it's fine, you've explained yourself a few times now, and what's happening is that you're waging a war against an enemy you've primarily created in your mind, of people who wont allow themselves to laugh until they've checked some special rubric, and it's because of them we don't get the unfettered Islam- and transgender-baiting comedy like in the good old days of *checks notes* Mr Bean.

We could also have had an interesting discussion about actual related issues, such as the criminal statutes Aaron brought up, or about Linehan and Twitter, or about edits in 4 Extra repeats, but instead you're congratulating yourself for winning a battle that nobody's fighting but you.

Quote: gappy @ 15th February 2022, 11:28 AM

Of course, you control the content, but you don't control the hosting. If Carr's holocaust joke were to end up being removed because of public outcry - and I reiterate, there appears to be no danger of that - it would be Netflix's decision, not his. But it's highly unlikely to happen to you, I'd suggest, even if lots of people complain about your site.

Anyway, it's fine, you've explained yourself a few times now, and what's happening is that you're waging a war against an enemy you've primarily created in your mind, of people who wont allow themselves to laugh until they've checked some special rubric, and it's because of them we don't get the unfettered Islam- and transgender-baiting comedy like in the good old days of *checks notes* Mr Bean.

We could also have had an interesting discussion about actual related issues, such as the criminal statutes Aaron brought up, or about Linehan and Twitter, or about edits in 4 Extra repeats, but instead you're congratulating yourself for winning a battle that nobody's fighting but you.

Hosting has nothing to do with content, it's simply a server to put your website on. You are the owner and moderator of your own content rather like Aaron here, he says what goes as it's his website. You may or may not like it, but he has the final say. Netflix is not a server, it's a business. If anyone complained about content it would end up with me not a server, and I'd simply say if you don't like it, don't read it and take your PC censorship somewhere else. There are some REALLY nasty sites on the Internet that have been going for years, but that's the Internet for you. Writing satire that might offend a minority of censorship snowflakes is small fry.

I've already given several examples of censorship, so it's not in my mind, it does exist. Whether you believe it or not has more to do with your political stance than reality. Islam, transgender (60 types of sexual identities and counting), why should they be excluded? Christ on the cross - "Oi Peter, I can see your house from up here!" Why should Muslims be excluded? Are they some kind of special species? My next publication will have Muslim satire in it.

I haven't won any battles because I haven't been fighting any. Sometimes what I say on the Internet I would be arrested for saying in public today (censorship) and so I don't and choose to use the Internet instead and give it a satirical slant. I won't be writing anything you won't see on other news satire sites, I'm just hoping mine eventually outranks in quality.

I agree, it's spectacularly unlikely that a webhost would remove your site, even if there were a public outcry, but they do have that power - they're businesses too. But this is academic, so let's leave it - I admit the point I was trying to make is unimportant, that's my fault.

However, I'm not convinced that most of your examples of censorship are valid - certainly, in the case of Jimmy Carr, you've entirely confused censorship with criticism (public criticism being a large part of the free speech you love to mention, need I add).

I also remain 100% unconvinced by your inference that Alan Carr isn't as funny as Les Dawson because of self-censorship and the fear of offending; or indeed that self-censorship as a concept is anything new.

Furthermore, I am also certain that British comedy has not actually died.

So, I guess this discussion has come to an end. It was diverting, though. :)

Oh...................the fireworks display has finished? (folds up deckchair and puts away in shed)

Quote: gappy @ 15th February 2022, 1:02 PM

I agree, it's spectacularly unlikely that a webhost would remove your site, even if there were a public outcry, but they do have that power - they're businesses too. But this is academic, so let's leave it - I admit the point I was trying to make is unimportant, that's my fault.

However, I'm not convinced that most of your examples of censorship are valid - certainly, in the case of Jimmy Carr, you've entirely confused censorship with criticism (public criticism being a large part of the free speech you love to mention, need I add).

I also remain 100% unconvinced by your inference that Alan Carr isn't as funny as Les Dawson because of self-censorship and the fear of offending; or indeed that self-censorship as a concept is anything new.

Furthermore, I am also certain that British comedy has not actually died.

So, I guess this discussion has come to an end. It was diverting, though. :)

Re-read the link. Carr was publicly chastized for what he said. He's not been prosecuted for it or arrested, but if he carries on he may well be under the Public Order Act of causing offence by harassment, alarm or distress. He won't be doing it again if he wants to keep his career. Use any semantics you like to deny it, but he's been censored. Not being able to say what you think out aloud because someone might be offended IS censorship.

Today Carr, tomorrow anyone of us. "Not me" you might say and yes, not you because you'll stick to the PC rules. What now passes for comedy will never achieve this. Mention of Jews, speech impediments? This is British comedy at its best and it's still going strong after decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrcbCW4y9Dw

British comedy will continue, albeit in its present bland speech controlled form. Some of us will try to avoid it using satire (very popular in Soviet Russia until they caught on - see Orwell's 'Animal Farm') and others using alternative comedy venues. Meanwhile, you'll write scripts that no-one is interested in because they're the same as everyone else's. Yes, not much more to say, but one of the most popular threads here. I wish you luck.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 15th February 2022, 4:16 PM

I wish you luck.

No no, too late - I'm not getting that f**king deckchair out again. I'm exhausted, and so is the thread.

Been nice while it lasted, though - took me back to the old days, when I too used to get arsey, but I've retired now

Pre woke comedy in the UK, when comedians did what they were supposed to do and make people laugh, with no hidden agenda. I can hear the accusations of racism, but there was no malice in Milligan's work, and full marks to the gorgeous Katie Boyle for keeping a straight face.

Never tire of watching this, with the brilliant David Lodge

Agreed, there's no malice.
But that's because it was deemed acceptable, by society at the time, to be, essentially, 'racist'.
My grandma was shocking - but not malicious - there was just a presumed superiority to other races.
It was learnt at their mother's knee - so no blame.
Now I think we've unlearnt it. And I think that's probably a good thing.
There are millions of ways of making people laugh that don't necessarily belittle other people.
The fact is, it's Spikes performance and the format of the sketch that's funny - he was a genius.
The cultural stereotypes were old-hat, even then.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th September 2022, 1:58 PM

The fact is, it's Spikes performance and the format of the sketch that's funny - he was a genius.

Amen to that - "That'll be a £1 extra, sir" Gets me every time! ???

F**k me. Missed this thread altogether. 18 pages?