It Ain't Half Hot Mum Page 7

Have people seen Privates on Parade by Peter Nichols? The same theme, written at about the same time. I wonder which influenced the other? (if at all)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 5th October 2014, 12:51 PM BST

Oddly enough, IAHHM was the one programme from that "stable" I just didn't "get" at the time. I would welcome the opportunity to reappraise it. But I have no inclination to buy it on DVD. A repeat on TV would, therefore, suit me.

No - I didn't think much of it either. I'm not sure why. I think it's because the characters were too over the top really, although I loved 'Allo 'Allo!.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th October 2014, 10:02 PM BST

No - I didn't think much of it either. I'm not sure why. I think it's because the characters were too over the top really, although I loved 'Allo 'Allo!.

Well, I loved it.

I love it too. But that's a matter of taste. What's really surprising is that it didn't suffer a dip in quality after so many series...unlike AYBS. Also the departure of major characters didn't harm the show. For instance the "char wallah" easily filled in for the "bearer" (M.Bates) imo.
It even managed to create new funny catchphrases after several series...Cpt. Ashwood: " We could...um...we could...um...it's a tricky one!" :D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th October 2014, 8:41 PM BST

I love it too. But that's a matter of taste. What's really surprising is that it didn't suffer a dip in quality after so many series...unlike AYBS. Also the departure of major characters didn't harm the show. For instance the "char wallah" easily filled in for the "bearer" (M.Bates) imo.
It even managed to create new funny catchphrases after several series...Cpt. Ashwood: " We could...um...we could...um...it's a tricky one!" :D

Loved the chá wallah and the punkah wallah - couldn't always understand what he was saying but he made it sound very funny. :D

Newbie here..but know I've come to the right place when I see all the brilliant classics comedies such as this one being discussed! One of the many brilliantly written and cast comedies of the era, loved it then, love it now! :D

Quote: Susan Hodgett @ 16th October 2014, 10:52 AM BST

Newbie here..but know I've come to the right place when I see all the brilliant classics comedies such as this one being discussed! One of the many brilliantly written and cast comedies of the era, loved it then, love it now! :D

Welcome, :) but try...............

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/introductions/

.........where you might get a bit more response - no promises though! :D

Wave

Hmmm, didn't think I would be saying this, but having now finished my so called Complete Set, which turns out to be only series 1 to 4 (someone trying to sell this actual one for £178 on Amazon at the moment :S ) and I have to say I doubt if I will be buying the rest of them as I found the "joke" wearing a bit thin.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd March 2017, 9:40 AM

Hmmm, didn't think I would be saying this, but having now finished my so called Complete Set, which turns out to be only series 1 to 4 (someone trying to sell this actual one for £178 on Amazon at the moment :S ) and I have to say I doubt if I will be buying the rest of them as I found the "joke" wearing a bit thin.

Think it is the same with most comedies that run for lots of series. Comedies like 'Allo 'Allo! and Hi-De-Hi!.

I'm a big fan of the show but I do miss Bates when he's gone. It's a shame that due to political correctness a great comedy performance will be forgotten/undiscovered by a lot of people. The Indian actor who played a few different roles on the show was on It Was Alright in the 1970's saying how great Bates was in the role and how inoffensive it all is.

I've yet to collect the 8th and final series so can't comment on the finale yet. I agree that there's some funny stuff with Bates' absence though like the football match. I thought that was a good episode too where Williams discovered that he actually needed the concert party to stay in the army because he was too passed it for normal duty.

Does anyone know where the film sequences for this were filmed for the scenes when they're in the jungle or a desert? Those location sequences look impressive for a 70's sitcom. I've looked on Wikipedia and IMDB but I can't find any info.

Quote: Statesman Dave @ 28th March 2018, 5:05 AM

Does anyone know where the film sequences for this were filmed for the scenes when they're in the jungle or a desert? Those location sequences look impressive for a 70's sitcom. I've looked on Wikipedia and IMDB but I can't find any info.

Pages 196 - 199 of David Croft's autobiography "You Have Been Watching..." states:

"England is a bit short of Indian scrub country and doesn't have a lot of jungle. I seriously thought of doing some of the show at Kew Gardens but it didn't prove very practical. I had shot in a sandpit near Kings Lynn for a sequence in Dad's Army that was supposed to take place in Sudan. This was ok for the North West frontier where the concert party was supposed to be giving a show. There were woods in the district so we plumped for Kings Lynn for all the location filming. The woods themselves were pretty thin, being mainly conifers, so we strung washing lines between the trees and hung tropical leaves on them. This, reinforced with lots of tropical pot plants, made an inpenetrable jungle about 20 yards square. We could shoot on this from various angles because one tropical leaf looks very like another and, provided we could keep out of shot the actual pots that the plants were growing in, the illusion was very good."

He then goes on to discuss various matters, including the illness and death of Michael Bates (which was 11 January 1978 after they had filmed series 5) and then, without giving an actual timeframe, states:

"Having grown tired of trying to make Norfolk conifer woods look like the Burmese jungle, we decided to move to the Farnborough area, where we could use places like Frensham Ponds to gve us more usable vegetation."

Yes Frensham Ponds near me has been used for many Films and TV scenes over the years including Carry On Jack and Cleo and I wouldn't be surprised if Cruising was shot there too. I think The Cruel Sea was filmed in the big pond where it's quite deep, it reaches your knee out in the middle.

Thanks a lot for posting all that Billy. I appreciate it.

I liked the two officer characters but it mostly seemed to me just Windsor Davies shouting "you are all a bunch of poofs" every five minutes.