It Ain't Half Hot Mum

Has anyone seen It Aint Half Hot Mum. I've been watching it all weekend, I find it hilarious. For some reason it's seen as being politically incorrect now, but I can't see why. Michael Bates is blacked up to play an Indian Bearer. Bates was born in India and actually spoke Urdu before he spoke English.

isn't almost everything un-p.c , i like it aswell, i havent seen it for a while but it is up there amongst the good sit-coms

I loved the show and could always find time to see it again. Wave

Aitch,

I just picked up season 1, and it made it made me laugh again.

I'm half indian, and I'm not even slightly offended.
Political correctness is a scam anyway.

Americans started it because they can't seem to tell the difference between satire and hate. :P (which is why i prefer british humour.

Yes, I loved It Ain't Half Hot Mum. Loved one of the last episodes where they're leaving India, and on the way to the docks, they have to do an impromptu show for a guy they need to get a spare wheel off. Lofty, left behind due to a technicality, manages to catch them up at the quayside.

Loved last episode, back in England, on their last day in uniform, where they plot to have it out with BSM Williams once they're all demobbed, and are equal as civillians.

The BBC haven't repeated it for years for the same reason as In Sickness & In Health; they're anxious not to offend. Huh?

Bates was the Hitler-like bawling prison guard in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE: he's completely unrecognizable just a few years later as the snakebelt-on his turban, direct-to-the-audience satir player in this sitcom.....a great illustration of his diverse talents.

Quote: Rico El Vista @ January 14 2011, 9:17 PM GMT

Bates was the Hitler-like bawling prison guard in A CLOCKWORK ORANGE: he's completely unrecognizable just a few years later as the snakebelt-on his turban, direct-to-the-audience satir player in this sitcom.....a great illustration of his diverse talents.

Found out in book on Last Of Summer Wine that he played a police sergeant in Hitchcock's penultimate movie Frenzy, and also played Montgomery in Patton

Another fine example of his wide acting abilities, Peter!

Thanks for pointing this out.

I've never seen this in years! I enjoyed it when I was young though. Not sure how I'd feel about it now.
I even remember Don Estelle and Windsor Davis singing Whispering Grass, I'm sure it even got to number 1.

Quote: Stephen Lee @ January 14 2011, 10:43 PM GMT

I've never seen this in years! I enjoyed it when I was young thou. Not sure how I'd feel about it now.
I even remember Don Estelle and Windsor Davis singing Whispering Grass, I'm sure it even got to number 1.

It did indeed reach the top spot. They recorded an album too.

Hello! Did someone mention comedy records? Whispering Grass spent three weeks at number one in June 1975.

It was taken from a cast album recreating the concert party vibe:

Whispering Grass was only ever a bit of filler, an old novelty song recorded to showcase Estelle's wonderful vocals and then given the comedy ad lib treatment by the lush Welsh tenor tones of Windsor Davies. So well did Whispering Grass go down with the British public that Estelle and Davies went on to record a follow up album together as a duo. In its various releases Sing Lofty sold over 300,000 copies, in the process becoming one of EMI's most successful records of the 1970s. Strange but true!:

Estelle went on to a solo career and released another dozen records on his own. This was the first of many:

Here is Estelle singing a bit of seasonal fluff for your aural pleasure: http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/sleigh-ride-don-estelle

As I mentioned on another thread I just bumped into Windsor Davies who looked very well - although he was walking with a stick - but he must be in his 80s.

I will say no more of my deep and abiding love for this show as I banged on about it on another thread. But get this straight it is BLOODY MARVELOUS!

Just like Love Thy Neighbour. :D