Pointless Page 6

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th March 2017, 8:53 AM

I don't think it'd work, Kenneth. "That was a f**king stupid answer" would just be laughed at.

Yes, that's the host's schtick -- getting laughs by being crude, cruel and nasty. He's not clever, just a pathetic arsehole, capable only of schoolyard-level insults, but it's nice to see the contestants outsmart and outcool him. The main attraction is the categories, the questions and the pace.

A Scottish contestant on Pointless said "I try to keep fat!"

No problems I'm sure. Lots of Deep fried Mars bars!

What's that? His accent? Oh he said Fit!

Just getting a little tired of its formulaic style, with the no applause when the jackpot is the reset £1,000 and then increases in volume as it goes up so that when and if it gets to dizzy heights we get whooping as well.

Also AA saying WITHOUT FUCKING FAIL on the final round "Well, that's three great answers" irrespective of whether what has been offered is a load of bollocks.

And "So sad to be losing you"................no you're not.

I agree. It has almost passed its sell by date.

Yes, the Armstrong guy could take a lesson from long-serving Jeopardy host Alex Trebek on toning down the phony fab emotions. Don't know how you can sit through Pointless on the telly ... all that dumb drivel and banter. Watching it streaming online, can just skip to the questions/answers, cutting the running time by half.

There really needs to be a swap, where Alexander Armstrong hosts The Chase (even if just for a week) and Bradley Walsh takes the reins at Pointless. The Chase offers far more questions than Pointless and deserves a classier, more cerebral host. Whereas Pointless is low-level dross, more suited to the banality of braying Bradley.

I like it Kenneth - the swapping of hosts and think it would work, then I wouldn't need to watch either of them.

The advantage of Pointless, notwithstanding the presenters, is that the format enables you to play along, whether by yourself, with others in the house or even on-line (yes, there are such forums).

With a normal quiz, it all happens too quickly. By the time you've thought of the answer and given it, the contestant has invariably already given their answer and they've moved on. Plus you can play along against both the contestant and whoever you may be watching with by giving different answers, which doesn't happen in normal quizzes.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st June 2017, 9:45 AM

With a normal quiz, it all happens too quickly. By the time you've thought of the answer and given it, the contestant has invariably already given their answer and they've moved on.

As you furiously thumb through all the reference books you have scattered all over the settee, coffee table and floor. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st June 2017, 10:07 AM

As you furiously thumb through all the reference books you have scattered all over the settee, coffee table and floor. Whistling nnocently

If only there was a quicker way to find out information. Like some binary code system that went world wide (like I can actually understand binary).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st June 2017, 9:45 AM

With a normal quiz, it all happens too quickly. By the time you've thought of the answer and given it, the contestant has invariably already given their answer and they've moved on.

"I expect you've heard of Pointless, the quiz show on BBC," said Bunter. "I'm going to be watching it on the television with some of my pals from Greyfriars." The fat Owl was always prepared to talk about himself; only a listener was required.
"Oh, yes," said Gosling, the school porter, "I've heard of Pointless, of course. So you're going to try to guess some of the answers, then? Fine questions they be, I've heard. Do you get many right, sir?"
"Oh, yes, all the time. Always more than the other chaps."
"Hope you'll get a few pointless answers this evening, sir."
Billy Bunter nodded sagely, and chewed toffee.

That's it, it's official.

I went to watch Pointless yesterday tea-time (in bits and pieces while I get our meals ready) and just couldn't face it anymore, so will not be watching it from now on.

Armstrong's banal chatter is the main cause.

And having gone off The Chase months ago I will use the period to catch up on DVDs of which I have many to watch and can pause whilst cooking.

Ahh, feel better already. :D

Armstrong's script is almost the same at every stage of the "game". Do they need him anymore? Can they replace him with a robot?

Does Private Eye still have the Dumb Britain column, with the daft answers from quiz shows? Surely Pointless has made it redundant.

Why does the show so rarely attract intelligent contestants? Do you have to fail an IQ test to get selected? Why don't some of you lot from this forum sign up and win?

"Joggraphy. Now, Hercules, remind us what you do?" "I post Punch cartoons on a comedy forum." "See, that's nice!" Jesus wept. Can't they come up with some different responses for him?

Quote: Chappers @ 17th June 2017, 3:51 PM

Armstrong's script is almost the same at every stage of the "game". Do they need him anymore? Can they replace him with a robot?

Exactly. Xanderbot. Only amusing when he cannot force himself to respond with impartial politeness to the stupidest of wrong answers.

Quote: Kenneth @ 26th October 2017, 10:49 AM

Why don't some of you lot from this forum sign up and win?

"Joggraphy. Now, Hercules, remind us what you do?" "I post Punch cartoons on a comedy forum." "See, that's nice!" Jesus wept.

OI! Angry

Words ending ...ELL.

What? No F**kingell?