Pointless Page 5

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 7th December 2015, 6:22 PM GMT

Me too. One of my mother's main bugbears with the format is thus:

"AA - Remind us what you do.
Contestant - I'm retired.
AA - What did you used to do?
Contestant - I was a peripatetic bee keeper.
AA - great stuff. Let's play Pointless!"

Laughing out loud

They have to edit it to fill the 45 minutes with whatever was recorded.

I was watching one the other day, wherein the final, the subject was OFAH actors and they guessed Buster Merryfield, David Jason and Nicholas Lyndhurst, of course, David and Nicholas were obvious. But Buster was quite high, I was surprised about that because he wasn't a very well-known actor and thought people wouldn't know who it was. Mike was a pointless answer, Denzil was, Sid was and a few others.

I guess he has a memorable name.

I wouldn't want to go on Pointless when the jackpot resets. Do BBC not like spending money? Most BBC games show have small prize funds.

Quote: Wheel @ 12th December 2015, 6:18 PM GMT

I wouldn't want to go on Pointless when the jackpot resets. Do BBC not like spending money? Most BBC games show have small prize funds.

Of course not. It's our Licence Fees that pay the prizes.

other stations are commercial and can pay massive prizes in comparison.

In It To Win It, has a high prize fund though and it is from BBC. I like that show, but again they might be a high prize because of the lottery, that is on the show.

Quote: Wheel @ 12th December 2015, 8:16 PM GMT

In It To Win It, has a high prize fund though and it is from BBC. I like that show, but again they might be a high prize because of the lottery, that is on the show.

That's nothing to do with the BBC - except they waste our money showing the draws. No idea why.

Wrong Richard Osman. Gary Numan did not have 2 solo number 1s in the 1970s with "Are 'Friends' Electric" and Cars.

"Are 'Friends' Electric" was Tubeway Army!!!!!!

The competitor's answer was correct but yours wasn't Mr Osman.

(Yes I know this is a repeat!)

Quote: Chappers @ 10th February 2016, 5:28 PM GMT

Wrong Richard Osman. Gary Numan did not have 2 solo number 1s in the 1970s with "Are 'Friends' Electric" and Cars.

"Are 'Friends' Electric" was Tubeway Army!!!!!!

The competitor's answer was correct but yours wasn't Mr Osman.

(Yes I know this is a repeat!)

You're right Chappers.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 12th February 2016, 10:35 AM GMT

You're right Chappers.

I know - and I got a pointless answer with Tony Barton tonight.

Oooer, naughty Richard..............

Answer: How to Eat by Nigella Lawson.........

Richard......"which is not the same book as How to Eat Nigella Lawson"...... :D the look on Xander's face was worth it as he wasn't sure if that was what Richard intended and some of the other celebs laughed embarrassingly. Laughing out loud

WTF !?!? Monday's was the 1000th show (where they switched presenting roles), Tuesday was spoken of by them as the 998th with Richard saying "It'll soon be show 1000th" and yesterday there was no mention of what edition it was, so presuming today is actually number 1000 one can only wonder at what they will say...............if anything. :S

Quiz show fans seeking an antithesis to the bland syrupy politeness of Pointless ("Now, tell us what you do. Oh, you're an accountant? That's fabulous! ... It's been wonderful having you on the show, you've been marvelous contestants.") have long been able to watch Only Connect. But now there's something much stronger in terms of a tough host. It's an Australian quiz show called Hard Quiz. The format is a little bit like Mastermind, except all contestants can buzz in to answer other contestants' specialty topic questions (except in the final "hard-off" segment).

The host is an Australian alleged comedian, Tom Gleeson (I'd never heard of him before), who goes out of his way to insult the contestants. Whereas Xander and Richard will ooze, "Oh, very good try; this was a tough round," this guy will say, "That was a stupid f**king answer, I thought you were supposed to be an expert on the subject. Obviously you're not. Get out."
It is a million times nastier and more personal than something like, "You are the weakest link, goodbye."

This unpleasantness initially makes for uncomfortable viewing, but the contestants are encouraged to counter the host's horrid jibes. The first episode I saw, it was close to unwatchable because of the host's callous rudeness. But the topics and questions were good, and there are many more questions packed in than on regular quiz shows. It is now an entertaining show and the perfect antidote to the perfunctory politeness of Pointless (not that I'd ever watch such a fatuous, banter-ridden crock, I'm strictly Only Connect). I wonder how soon until Britain releases a version of Hard Quiz.

I don't think it'd work, Kenneth. "That was a f**king stupid answer" would just be laughed at. At least something like "You are the weakest link, goodbye" is saying "This the format. It's unfair. You'll have to live with it."