I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,893

Quote: DaButt @ 17th February 2017, 11:17 PM

'zactly.

How's the weather across the pond? It's 77F/25C here and we're enjoying a few beers in the sunshine. Might as well enjoy things before Hitler Mark II destroys the world, right?

Winter sun here and no beer as yet but there's still time. The Trump/Brexit catastrophes have set the cat among the pigeons over here. How could all those dumb people vote that way? I tell them, if you can't see why by now, I can't tell you.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 18th February 2017, 7:51 PM

Winter sun here and no beer as yet but there's still time. The Trump/Brexit catastrophes have set the cat among the pigeons over here. How could all those dumb people vote that way? I tell them, if you can't see why by now, I can't tell you.

Some people seem to prefer wearing blinders. Weirdly enough, many will profess to being open-minded.

Today it's warmed up to 84F/29C. I'm preparing 15 gallons of reverse osmosis water for tomorrow's beer (ESB) brewing, before heading off for more beers with the neighbors. One of them has had a turkey cooking in his (newly Internet-connected) smoker and it smells fabulous. Can't wait to sample it.

Enjoy your weekends, one and all!

How can anyone possibly enjoy their weekend after what just happened in Sweden?

Quote: Kenneth @ 20th February 2017, 1:02 AM

How can anyone possibly enjoy their weekend after what just happened in Sweden?

I know, biased reporting again, even by our BBC:

BBC HEADLINE:
"Trump tries to explain remark about Sweden amid confusion"

He hasn't TRIED to explain it, it's explained, so what confusion?

From same BBC article:

Mr Trump tweeted on Sunday that he had been referring to a TV report.

He said it had been broadcast on Fox News but did not say when. He may have been referring to a Fox News programme on Friday night, which looked at refugees and crime in Sweden.

Despite his words "happening last night in Sweden", White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said separately that Mr Trump had been talking about rising crime and recent incidents in general, not referring to a specific issue.

You think it's good that Trump gets his global intelligence from Fox News?

I think he was watching the same program on TV as many other Americans may also have been watching and he commented on it.

Maybe that is a big deal and Fox News should be shut down and Presidents not allowed to watch TV?

Fox News is a bag of shit, as is much of the stuff on TV.

But I don't think there's any risk of Fox News being shut down. I think Trump would rather bully and muzzle the critical media.

I think Trump should get his "intelligence" from a better source than Fox News and not falsely suggest that Sweden was among a list of European places hit by terror attacks.

Today there was some windy weather. And one of the neighbors put his trash in his bin, but a crisp packet blew out and landed near me, so I picked it up and put it in my bin. Tuesday is gonna be great. I mean, you know days of the week and stuff, but Tuesdays, huh? Really great, Tuesdays.

But then I saw what happened in Denton, Ohio, last night. Terrible stuff. It was after, just after the wedding of Betty Monroe and Ralph Hapshatt. These aliens, terrible transvestite aliens from some planet, are here and they, they're transvestites you know. And they were singing songs and corrupting American men and women. It's true because I saw it on TV! What? You think I should be banned from watching TV? F**k you, etc.

I don't expect Trump just gets his intelligence from Fox News, he surely has a direct line to Satan. He's probably the guy who bought Hitler's old phone for that very connection:

A telephone used by Adolf Hitler during World War Two has been sold for $243,000 (£195,744) at a US auction.

The identity of the buyer, who bid by phone, has not been revealed. The bidding in Chesapeake City, Maryland, started at $100,000.

The red phone, which has the Nazi leader's name engraved on it, was found in his Berlin bunker in 1945.

Gotta be Trump..

Quote: DaButt @ 18th February 2017, 5:50 PM

I frequently hear people from the UK refer to Native Americans are "red Indians." That sounds horribly racist to my American ears, but I'm not going to get worked up about it. People of all races and religions need to relax a little.

I always held a fascination for real native American Indians as a kid, like I was one in a former life, or some such nonsense (my family tree stems from Canada, whatever that means).

Watching westerns on TV from about 5 years old - I hated the cowboys for trying to take their land when they were there first - and they didn't stand a chance with arrows on horses when cowboys had guns on trains . . . maybe there's a topical analogy there . . .

But for sure I have some redneck in me (and no, I don't have a hillbilly boyfriend), as I like big trucks, and I cannot lie.

:P

Native American always were called Red Indians in the old cowboy films or even Red Injuns.

So it's not really surprising if older persons or fans of old Cowboy Pictures use the term.

It got changed to Native Americans as part of the massive Political Correctness wave, I seem to remember.

The phrase is said to have arisen because Columbus didn't know america was there and thought he was sailing to the East Indies by the western route. He thought he had found a new route to the East Indies, not a new country. So the native were indians.

Geek

Quote: billwill @ 20th February 2017, 5:47 PM

Native American always were called Red Indians in the old cowboy films or even Red Injuns.

So it's not really surprising if older persons or fans of old Cowboy Pictures use the term.

Are we talking about British cowboy films? Did such a thing even exist? I don't recall hearing natives described as red Indians in an American film. It was usually just "indians," "savages," "redskins," or "Injuns."

Paul Nuttall - what a piece of shit. Hope he loses massively.

Quote: DaButt @ 20th February 2017, 8:29 PM

Are we talking about British cowboy films? Did such a thing even exist? I don't recall hearing natives described as red Indians in an American film. It was usually just "indians,"

This may be due to the lack of East Indians in the Old West.

On Saturday Morning Pictures, they were always "them there pesky red-skins".

Phutttt....................ding.

Ahh, Gabby Hayes - they don't make cowboys like that anymore. You're darn rootin' tootin'

Quote: DaButt @ 20th February 2017, 8:29 PM

Are we talking about British cowboy films? Did such a thing even exist? I don't recall hearing natives described as red Indians in an American film. It was usually just "indians," "savages," "redskins," or "Injuns."

It seems I mis-remembered, the bit about the films.

https://www.quora.com/Who-are-Red-Indians-and-why-they-are-called-so-Where-they-got-originated-from-supposedly