I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,895

Quote: DaButt @ 25th February 2017, 3:39 PM

That is all encouraged and instigated by the show's staff while filming.

I know . . . it's the 'warm-up guy' or whatever - I've seen it done. But same hysteria at political rallies/speeches is odd.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th February 2017, 3:14 PM

First of all, calling an entire nation (or perhaps just the 50% who voted a certain way) dumb is precisely why the Democrats lost the election. Myself, I'm Mensa-level on the intelligence scale and I don't watch "reality" shows. I don't watch Fox News and I don't read rightwing websites.

I never called an entire nation dumb. You're using Trump's trick of falsely misquoting his opponents. Surely that Mensa IQ should be telling you that about 26% of eligible American voters chose Trump, not 50%. The Democrats lost because they chose Hillary over Bernie Sanders.

Many Trump supporters likely don't read right-wing websites, they just follow the little bits of crap posted on social media.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th February 2017, 3:14 PM

I am not pro-Trump... I reluctantly voted for him

I am not pro-cock-fighting, so I don't reluctantly attend cock fights -- even though I hate the idea of panda-hunting as an alternative.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th February 2017, 3:50 PM

I know . . . it's the 'warm-up guy' or whatever - I've seen it done. But same hysteria at political rallies/speeches is odd.

Not odd. Hitler's Nuremberg rallies generated a hysteria like that of (subsequent) rock concerts. Political parties of all persuasions like to whip people up into a frenzy. It's easy to do by appealing to dumb, prejudiced people. Rather than giving them some hard truths -- "We are f**ked because we are essentially lazy and have allowed corporate kleptocrats to hijack our democracy." -- the message instead is "Foreigners took our jobs, Muslims wanna kill us, mass media is our enemy and I will make things great again by banning Muslims and Mexicans, whoop! whoop! whoop!"

It's an interesting thread but on balance I'd prefer "Owl of the Week".

Quote: Kenneth @ 25th February 2017, 4:29 PM

Not odd. Hitler's Nuremberg rallies generated a hysteria like that of (subsequent) rock concerts.

I know - a long time ago, though that was weird too, but in that instance it was definitely brainwashing achieved through enforced fear.

Trump is going that way by behaving like a potential dictator now, and it will be ironic if he starts a war with Mexico by trying to stop violence and crime coming over the border.

That stupid wall would have killed my vote for anyone as you don't even need to be qualified to figure how astronomical the cost and how massive and impractical an undertaking it would be.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th February 2017, 6:40 PM

I know - a long time ago, though that was weird too, but in that instance it was definitely brainwashing achieved through enforced fear..

Not really. He used propaganda and misinformation to capitalize on popular discontent with the Weimar Republic (over loss of national glory and a shitty economy). He had the support of big business. He also gained popularity (especially among the lower middle class) by holding mass rallies, in which he repeated very simple ideas, over and over, promising to make Germany great again (the atmosphere of fear came later).
The upshot of his spiel was: The Jews (and blacks) are to blame and Hitler is your last hope to make Germany great again!
Which sounds much like: Immigrants and Muslims are to blame and Trump is your last hope to make America great again!
Mainstream German politicians underestimated Hitler when he began his ascendancy. Yes, Hitler used his murderous Stormtroopers (and then the SS) to silence many opponents. Of course Trump has no such force but he supported his fans after they punched and kicked a black man. And he encourages his supporters to use violence, with lines like "knock the crap out of them", "Get 'em the hell out of here" and "I'd like to punch him in the face."
Hitler closed over 1,000 newspapers. Trump cannot and need not do that, as the print media industry is in steep decline and circulations are falling. Banning critical press from his media briefings may not necessarily be a symptom of SPS. That's some apophasis.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th February 2017, 6:40 PM

That stupid wall would have killed my vote for anyone as you don't even need to be qualified to figure how astronomical the cost and how massive and impractical an undertaking it would be.

Then you definitely wouldn't have voted for Hillary Clinton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlFi0QUboxs

A wall makes sense in some areas, but I'd rather we hire another 50,000 armed Border Patrol officers instead.

Several of my closest friends are of Mexican descent and they all voted for Trump and support closing the border to illegal immigrants.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th February 2017, 3:02 PM

So the president has a disagreement with the press and your solution is to murder him? You should think about that the next time you compare him to Hitler.

Yes. I don't normally subscribe to 'The end justifies the means' but in this case YES. He's a threat to the planet in every possible way. Last night one of my friends reckoned one of his own side would eventually take him out. And we all applauded (8 of us).

And don't give me MENSA. I once ran a club for gifted children in Scotland and I can absolutely assure you, high IQ does NOT equate with common sense.

I think you don't realise how universally loathed and despised, your president is by the rest of the world.

Quote: DaButt @ 26th February 2017, 4:32 PM

Several of my closest friends are of Mexican descent and they all voted for Trump and support closing the border to illegal immigrants.

2 things - 'some of my best friend's are blah' is the typical apology of somebody who is anti-blah.

Secondly, there's a bit of 'I'm all right Jack so you can bugger off.'

Quote: keewik @ 26th February 2017, 9:02 PM

2 things - 'some of my best friend's are blah' is the typical apology of somebody who is anti-blah.

Secondly, there's a bit of 'I'm all right Jack so you can bugger off.'

Familiar quote . . .

"Nobody has more respect for _ _ _ _ _ than I do - believe me."

Insert words as applicable.

. . . and The Huffington Post has documented Trump's first 100 lies - which are all whoppers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-administration-lies-100_us_58ac7a0fe4b02a1e7dac3ca6

If he was in any regular job, he would have been sacked by now, and methinks the lady doth protest too much over Russia - so if they dig up the dirt on that, maybe that will knock him off his perch before he bankrupts the country on security staff when nipping out for a nosebag and stockpiling nuclear weapons.

As someone or other said on Twitter recently, there's a journalist somewhere right now working on a story about Trump/Russia who's going to win the Pulitzer in a couple of years.

Quote: zooo @ 26th February 2017, 10:34 PM

As someone or other said on Twitter recently, there's a journalist somewhere right now working on a story about Trump/Russia who's going to win the Pulitzer in a couple of years.

That's all anyone can give him credit for - providing endless material as fodder for writers/journos.

The whole farce is so ludicrous, this is what it's like to me . . .

It's like a bet he had with a mate in the pub. Many believe that he never expected to actually 'get the job', but now he's there, his conduct is so absurd it's like he's testing everyone, for a bet, to see how much gibberish he can communicate before there are any major consequences for him.

He must be at least a fiver up to date given everything he's got away with in his first month, but something has to give now . . .

Quote: keewik @ 26th February 2017, 8:31 PM

Yes. I don't normally subscribe to 'The end justifies the means' but in this case YES.

So murdering people you disagree with is ok? Guess I should watch my back...

And don't give me MENSA. I once ran a club for gifted children in Scotland and I can absolutely assure you, high IQ does NOT equate with common sense.

An old girlfriend of mine used to criticize me for being too rational. I took it as a compliment.

I think you don't realise how universally loathed and despised, your president is by the rest of the world.

I don't think the rest of the world understands just how little we care about what they think about our democratically elected presidents. Feel free to hate them if it makes you feel better. We couldn't care less.

Quote: keewik @ 26th February 2017, 9:02 PM

2 things - 'some of my best friend's are blah' is the typical apology of somebody who is anti-blah.'

No apologies on my part, but it's a simple fact that I have many Mexican friends who voted for Donald Trump. I had to hide all of the Facebook posts made by one of them, because it was nothing but an endless stream of pro-Trump mumbo jumbo.

Just got in from work to find that the postie had left an envelope, upon on opening it I find that I have won an Oscar for best supporting actor!!!!!!
"This is so unexpected!, I'd like to thank god, my mom, drama teacher,my beyootiful 16 children adopted in africa, the Chuckle Brothers, Che Guevara, Kim Jong Un, big Dave and all the lads down at the Kings Head etc etc."

So DaButt votes for Trump and now he's being labelled a racist wall builder etc etc. That kind of knee jerk us and them, our way or the highway reaction that divides people is why I tend to stay out of political debates.
Give the guy a break for crying out loud.