I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,600

Quote: keewik @ 29th May 2014, 12:18 AM BST

Rolf Harris. Does anybody else find it weird that his wife creeps on everyday with a grin on her face? I've wondered if she's suffering from dementia in which case it's bloody criminal to be dragging her there every day.

I've noticed other 'gimmicks' all of the eldery celebs have been using on their way to court - all of a sudden they need walking sticks...and so do their wives...and everyone is limping along slowly as they parade pitifully in front of the press photographers.

You ain't fooling me kiddy fiddlers.

I would have LOVED to have seen him sing in court. I can't imagine how the judge allowed it. What question could you possibly ask to get your client to sing? Amazing.

Quote: keewik @ 29th May 2014, 12:18 AM BST

I've wondered if she's suffering from dementia in which case it's bloody criminal to be dragging her there every day.

If she doesn't she is a very devoted person.

Some decent cross examination of him today. Got him to accept that at the very minimum, he had an unhealthy attitude to children.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 29th May 2014, 12:22 AM BST

I've noticed other 'gimmicks' all of the eldery celebs have been using on their way to court - all of a sudden they need walking sticks...and so do their wives...and everyone is limping along slowly as they parade pitifully in front of the press photographers.

You ain't fooling me kiddy fiddlers.

£5 says he is acquitted.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 29th May 2014, 12:27 AM BST

If she doesn't she is a very devoted person.

Maybe she believes he is innocent? They've been married a while, you would want to believe that you knew your husband.

My husband?

How very dare you?

"flounces off . . "

Quote: Jennie @ 29th May 2014, 12:28 AM BST

Some decent cross examination of him today. Got him to accept that at the very minimum, he had an unhealthy attitude to children.

Wasn't he suggesting that she was blackmailing him? I only half heard something on the news, so may not be totally accurate.

Yes - to fund an animal sanctuary.

Problem for the prosecution is that she remained in a relationship with him for many years.

It boils down to whether the jury think this is a the acrimonious breakup of an adult relationship, or whether she was groomed into a form of Stockholm syndrome from a young age.

Also with regards to the threat - I don't think the prosecution have put it to him that the threat to expose him to the papers didn't occur. The implication being that the witness accepted that it did. That has to further undermine her credibility - rightly or wrongly.

Quote: Jennie @ 29th May 2014, 12:47 AM BST

It boils down to whether the jury think this is a the acrimonious breakup of an adult relationship, or whether she was groomed into a form of Stockholm syndrome from a young age.

Ooh, that's made it interesting. I wonder when these historic sex cases will get round to the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Who. I'm sure they must have shagged their fair share of underage girlies in their time.

Elvis dated a 13 year old, Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old - but only one was arrested. Is Rolf Harris any different to Elvis? I mean musically, he's obviously miles better and Elvis couldn't paint.

Attitudes have certainly changed. Harris is also charged with assaults on 7 and 8 year olds, which is a different kettle of fish.

Interestingly, 13 is the cut off point in sentencing - you are sentenced far more harshly for assaults pre 13 than over 13.

Quote: Jennie @ 29th May 2014, 12:56 AM BST

Interestingly, 13 is the cut off point in sentencing - you are sentenced far more harshly for assaults pre 13 than over 13.

Probably because puberty has kicked in and it's more likely for the events to be consensual.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the press would still label Mandy Smith a 'wild child' as they did back in the day or would she now be 'exploited victim of filthy Bill Wyman'?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 28th May 2014, 10:47 PM BST

I think the motorist in this country is being continually shafted by the powers that be.

I think it's deeper than that. Despite all the talk about trying to move people away from car-use, we are increasingly* encouraged to invest in ever more powerful** vehicles, to run on roads with lowering speed-limits***, with relatively fewer and fewer parking spaces, at unfair parking rates****. And while fuel prices***** go up sharply when oil prices increase, they don't go down nearly so much when oil prices fall back.

*We now have two editions of numberplate a year, a system introduced to help car-sales. Why do we even need the year on the numberplate, other than to remind us how unfashionable and old our cars are?
**Why do we need cars that can do well over twice the maximum speed limit? Even a very small family car will do over 100mph. Electronic speed limiters are available now, but are not fitted.
***So many 20mph limits now.
****You have to put a minimum of an hour in the meter around my way, and you never get a refund on the time you don't use.
*****Which attracts a duty at a rate of more than the cost of the fuel...and then has VAT slapped on top!

I'm all for road safety, but when so many police resources are used in order to generate fines, you have to wonder what's going on. Anyone who's had a break-in knows that when the police turn up, there's "not much we can do", but if you do 35mph in a 30 zone they will be there to extract fines from you. Cars are like the government's milking equipment, which we willingly strap onto our wallets, letting them milk us for cash at every turn.

Lower speed limits mean fewer deaths I'd reduce the speed to 10mph

I mean where are you going in such a hurry?

Quote: sootyj @ 29th May 2014, 8:44 AM BST

Lower speed limits mean fewer deaths I'd reduce the speed to 10mph

I mean where are you going in such a hurry?

Nowhere, but they need to get there fast.