I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,601

Quote: sootyj @ 29th May 2014, 8:44 AM BST

I mean where are you going in such a hurry?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 29th May 2014, 9:06 AM BST

Nowhere, but they need to get there fast.

You guys really aren't helping to dispel the lefty, liberal stereotype on here are you?

Hmm, why would people driving from London to Edinburgh for a comedy festival want to get their quickly? Why can't they travel more slowly then people did in the 18th century? Maybe next time you're taking a weekend break on the coach, you can ask the driver to slow down and inform the other passengers that 'speed kills' and that they'll thank you when they get to their destinations 9 hours late.

It's not just the ridiculous costs of driving in this country, it's the knowledge that most citizens with a driving license have some sort of mark against their record thanks to the authoritarian police state under which we operate. Speeding tickets, parking fines, illegal U-turns, etc., we have criminalised huge swathes of our population in a nakedly rapacious cash grab.

Not only that, the authorities trick them into breaking the law so they can arrest and fine them. Hidden cameras, speed traps, changing the speed limits on a whim, limiting parking spaces, ticket machines that don't work, mazes of one way streets, bus lanes, etc. It's something I'd expect in a Third World country where bribery of officials and corruption is the norm - but in a civilised society, it's disgusting, oppressive and onerous.

Chillax home slice.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 29th May 2014, 1:54 PM BST

Chillax home slice.

:D

I just find it incredibly amusing when bicycle riding, Starbucks drinking, liberal, middle class, metropolitan, elitists can't understand why people have a different opinion or life experience to their own.

It's even funnier when the same okra shagging, penny farthing riding, rain water drinking, Guardian molesters then exclaim: 'The Tories are totally out of touch with the common man. I can't believe their ignorance and bloated sense of entitlement'.

Irony away!

I only see one person on here who can't seem to understand that people may have a different opinion or life experience to his own. But then, I am a simple herd-following liberal sandal-wearing twat, so what do I know?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 29th May 2014, 1:45 PM BST

You guys really aren't helping to dispel the lefty, liberal stereotype on here are you?

Hmm, why would people driving from London to Edinburgh for a comedy festival want to get their quickly? Why can't they travel more slowly then people did in the 18th century? Maybe next time you're taking a weekend break on the coach, you can ask the driver to slow down and inform the other passengers that 'speed kills' and that they'll thank you when they get to their destinations 9 hours late.

It's not just the ridiculous costs of driving in this country, it's the knowledge that most citizens with a driving license have some sort of mark against their record thanks to the authoritarian police state under which we operate. Speeding tickets, parking fines, illegal U-turns, etc., we have criminalised huge swathes of our population in a nakedly rapacious cash grab.

Not only that, the authorities trick them into breaking the law so they can arrest and fine them. Hidden cameras, speed traps, changing the speed limits on a whim, limiting parking spaces, ticket machines that don't work, mazes of one way streets, bus lanes, etc. It's something I'd expect in a Third World country where bribery of officials and corruption is the norm - but in a civilised society, it's disgusting, oppressive and onerous.

That actually sounds like it was written by Jeremy Clarkson.

I've just bought an electric bike from Germany. Just saying.

Quote: Badge @ 29th May 2014, 3:35 PM BST

I only see one person on here who can't seem to understand that people may have a different opinion or life experience to his own.

Only because the BCG clique bullied off all the other free thinkers. The hive must be protected at all costs.

:P

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 29th May 2014, 5:06 PM BST

Just distilling the frustration, anger and sense of injustice from every car driver I know...in the world.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 28th May 2014, 6:37 PM BST

The Isle of Man allows it's citizens to own handguns, it also has a low violent crime rate due to low unemployment and high community spirit.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/crime-in-the-isle-of-man-drops-by-60-since-2000-1-6642015

Why is this? Don't they realise handguns give people murder erections? It's like giving a loaded gun to someone who likes loaded guns. Can we please compare the UK with a country thousands of miles away and has a different culture instead of the Isle of Man - otherwise we might end up spreading information and knowledge instead of ignorance and fear.

There you are then RC, all you have to do is move to the Isle of Man; perhaps they also allow smoking in Pubs.

I expect they have Internet there so you can still stay in the BCG & Facebook.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 29th May 2014, 5:06 PM BST

Jeremy Clarkson is witty and erudite, that's just lobo ipsum repetition.

It's one of those weird moments when RCP so excites himself, he ends up winding himself up.

If the energy of this anal gazing, self validating anal recitation could be harnessed there'd be no need for fracking.

Quote: billwill @ 29th May 2014, 6:51 PM BST

There you are then RC, all you have to do is move to the Isle of Man; perhaps they also allow smoking in Pubs.

That's what they said to Mandela - if you don't like white ruled South Africa, you can move to the Ivory Coast. Why should I move when UKIP are on the brink of giving me everything I want?

Quote: sootyj @ 29th May 2014, 7:36 PM BST

If the energy of this anal gazing, self validating anal recitation could be harnessed there'd be no need for fracking.

You do talk a lot arse sometimes. ;)

Was that right that Barton and Pierced Organ were on Question Time?

FFS - I want my Licence Fee back. How can you have two such pretentious arrogant tossers on?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 29th May 2014, 10:38 PM BST

Why should I move when UKIP are on the brink of giving me everything I want?

On the brink? I think the euro elections may have gone a bit to your head there.

I think Farrage might have offered him a date.

nb with the recent college shootings, there's some pretty selective reporting. The guy killed 6 people, the first 3 were his male flat mates.

This may not have been a war on women, but a argument over washing up that got terribly out of control.

Quote: sootyj @ 29th May 2014, 8:44 AM BST

Lower speed limits mean fewer deaths I'd reduce the speed to 10mph

I mean where are you going in such a hurry?

My point is that people are given powerful vehicles and roads upon which speeding is all too easy, and then they're fined for speeding; wouldn't it be safer to make it more difficult to speed?
Here's an example from my local paper:

Motorist caught driving 71mph in a 20mph zone

Councillor Bill Randall, said "this case does confirm the need for a 20mph speed limit", but I think the case shows the road remains highly dangerous despite the speed limit, since some idiot in a puny Fiesta has proved you can reach 71mph.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11245383.Motorist__caught_driving__71mph_in_a_20mph_zone/?ref=var_0

Who's giving the cars away, stick 'em all in rubber ghee whizz cars.