I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,599

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/28/london-congestion-charge-rise

The Congestion Charge is going up from £10 a day to £11.50 a day and if you don't pay it on the same day, TFL are charging £14.

For those of you outside London, it's a tax on your vehicle to have the pleasure of being stuck in a traffic jam on potholed roads. I don't drive, I don't own a car, but I think the motorist in this country is being continually shafted by the powers that be.

TFL have borrowed several billion to try and upgrade the network after the disastrous PPP introduced by Labour collapsed and the public purse had to pick up the debt. Maybe they know something we don't and that's an interest rate rise is looming in the near future and they need this extra cash to cover their loans.

And apparently, they're also shelling out extra cash to build special roundabouts for cyclists - though I'm in two minds over this - on the one hand, f**king cyclists, don't pay a penny, jump red lights, etc. - and on the other hand - if they can tear down the Elephant and Castle roundabouts, then the world will be a better place.

Seems fair everything goes up in prices, except sadly wages.

If you actually need to drive around London for your job you're exempt.

Otherwise it's a stupidity tax on not being able to use one of the most comprehensive public transport systems in the world.

As for bikes, each bike is one less car or person on public transport. A few million in making their transport less suicidal and keeping them off the pavement is money well spent.

As for Browns PPI funding for london transport, people have been shot for a lot less.

Quote: sootyj @ 28th May 2014, 10:53 PM BST

Otherwise it's a stupidity tax on not being able to use one of the most comprehensive public transport systems in the world.

That's if it isn't on strike or a signalling failure reduces the Tubes to one every 15 minutes and you can't get on. Plus it's very unlikely that a homeless man will take a shit in your car...or you'll be mugged...or pickpocketed...or pushed down an escalator...or get in a fight with drunks...or get murdered by a care in the community...or bombed by terrorists...or have to get a car replacement service all the way to Essex...

In fact, f**k public transport, it's full of the worst examples of humanity ever. Get in your car, crank the AC, put on some tunes, light a cigarette, break up your journey however you like, choose the people who sit next to you, let off some farts, hit the drive-thru and enjoy total freedom.

Care in the community eh? I'm out of this conversation enjoy yourself

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 28th May 2014, 10:47 PM BST

I don't drive, I don't own a car

But you have a phobia of public transport. How do you get around?

I am completely ambivalent about the CC. Unless it is for business purposes, no-one with any sense drives in central London.

Quote: Jennie @ 28th May 2014, 11:12 PM BST

no-one with any sense drives in central London.

Neither would I.

But you have a phobia of public transport. How do you get around?

I've worked out several coping mechanisms so I can tolerate others in close proximity.

Quote: sootyj @ 28th May 2014, 11:03 PM BST

Care in the community eh? I'm out of this conversation enjoy yourself

Yes, you've never used a jokey reference to people suffering from mental illness...ever. Unimpressed

no-one with any sense drives in central London.

Have you ever got a taxi or mini-cab? And if so, why? More importantly, did it make sense?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 28th May 2014, 11:23 PM BST

Have you ever got a taxi or mini-cab? And if so, why? More importantly, did it make sense?

1.yes
2.usually because I was late
3.yes. Hence my exclusion of those who drive for business purposes.

Quote: Jennie @ 28th May 2014, 11:46 PM BST

3.yes. Hence my exclusion of those who drive for business purposes.

Of course anyone commuting in from outside of London to get to work could be driving for business purposes. Looking at the traffic queues towards the Blackwall Tunnel, this seems to be a very common way of travelling.

Or those poor fools could pay thousands of pounds to be crushed into a train, usually standing for an hour's commute and rely on a service that doesn't work whenever the weather is less then perfect.

I am sure Dante spotted the Blackwall Tunnel lurking in the fourth and fifth circles of hell.

The problems with public transport are a different issue. Although you might want to consider moving to the South East. SE trains are rarely packed and you can always see the sky. My commute is 9 minutes from London Bridge.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 28th May 2014, 11:53 PM BST

Of course anyone commuting in from outside of London to get to work could be driving for business purposes. Looking at the traffic queues towards the Blackwall Tunnel, this seems to be a very common way of travelling.

As I said, anyone driving in London for a genuine business need is not crazy. Everyone else is. I do not believe all who drive around central London do so out of necessity, and I think the CC makes a few of them think twice. Personally, I'd pedestrianize the whole lot of it.

Quote: Jennie @ 28th May 2014, 11:59 PM BST

Personally, I'd pedestrianize the whole lot of it.

Might be a bit awkward if you need to move flat or businesses need deliveries to survive.

'Hey, where's my overpriced disgusting coffee with more sugar and chocolate in it then a dozen Belgian buns?'

'Queen Jennie has decreed there must be no more wheeled traffic of any kind.'

'Bugger, was going to take my elderly Mum to the hospital for her hip replacement, I hope she remembers how to ride a bike.'

;) :P

Quote: Jennie @ 28th May 2014, 11:59 PM BST

Although you might want to consider moving to the South East. SE trains are rarely packed and you can always see the sky. My commute is 9 minutes from London Bridge.

Below the River Thames? Outside of London? And what would I do all day, burn people in giant Wicker Men and marry my cousin? Perish the thought.

:D

You can't deny it, Queen Jennie has a certain ring to it.

I intend to run a benevolent regime. Although there would be an annual cull of cyclists.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 29th May 2014, 12:08 AM BST

Below the River Thames? Outside of London? And what would I do all day, burn people in giant Wicker Men and marry my cousin? Perish the thought.

Only a born and bred Londoner would consider South London = country bumpkin.

I am slowly enticing all of my friends south. It is the place to be.

Quote: Jennie @ 29th May 2014, 12:13 AM BST

I intend to run a benevolent regime. Although there would be an annual cull of cyclists.

Woo! \0/

Quote: Jennie @ 29th May 2014, 12:13 AM BST

:D
Only a born and bred Londoner would consider South London = country bumpkin.

I am slowly enticing all of my friends south. It is the place to be.

So you're the ones driving up property prices and destroying ethnic communities in South London. Well done.

Rolf Harris. Does anybody else find it weird that his wife creeps on everyday with a grin on her face? I've wondered if she's suffering from dementia in which case it's bloody criminal to be dragging her there every day.

I am aware that my presence as a white lawyer owning property in Catford undermines all the anti gentrification rhetoric that I espouse. But, if you can't be a hypocrite, what can you be? Plus, I love Catford. It's my endz.