I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,557

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th May 2014, 11:44 AM BST

TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY!!!

Killer robots will be debated during an informal meeting of experts at the United Nations in Geneva.

Two robotics experts, Prof Ronald Arkin and Prof Noel Sharkey, will debate the efficacy and necessity of killer robots.

The meeting will be held during the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW).

A report on the discussion will be presented to the CCW meeting in November.

This will be the first time that the issue of killer robots, or lethal autonomous weapons systems, will be addressed within the CCW.
Continue reading the main story
"Start Quote

"I support a moratorium until that end is achieved, but I do not support a ban at this time" "

Prof Ronald Arkin Georgia Institute of Technology
Autonomous kill function

A killer robot is a fully autonomous weapon that can select and engage targets without any human intervention. They do not currently exist but advances in technology are bringing them closer to reality.

Those in favour of killer robots believe the current laws of war may be sufficient to address any problems that might emerge if they are ever deployed, arguing that a moratorium, not an outright ban, should be called if this is not the case.

However, those who oppose their use believe they are a threat to humanity and any autonomous "kill functions" should be banned.

"Autonomous weapons systems cannot be guaranteed to predictably comply with international law," Prof Sharkey told the BBC. "Nations aren't talking to each other about this, which poses a big risk to humanity."

It already happened in the 1980s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zCZZOIUIM

I remember when Metal Mickey killed all those NUM strikers at the battle of Orgreave.

Lmfao

Laughing out loud

The metal bastard

Quote: Oldrocker @ 11th May 2014, 1:13 AM BST

What the f**k are you on?

I'm all ears OR, name a better girl band than The Sugarbabes since the 1980s.

It's Sugababes. No r!
They would give you SUCH dirty looks for that.

Quote: sootyj @ 11th May 2014, 12:05 PM BST

I remember when Metal Mickey killed all those NUM strikers at the battle of Orgreave.

Booyah!

I get all the panic over autonomous killing machines, but can people stop banging on about 'drones'. A drone is just a big remote control aircraft, almost indistinguishable from the model Spitfires you can buy in any hobby shop.

We've been killing remotely since the invention of the catapult, but for some reason. as soon as you mention the word drone, everyone has a shit fit.

Quote: zooo @ 11th May 2014, 1:31 PM BST

It's Sugababes. No r!
They would give you SUCH dirty looks for that.

Especially Mutya. I'm no fans of them as people, they all give off that council estate stink, but you can't deny the music was much better than Wilson Phillips or Little Mix.

Not al drones are mere reconnaissance planes. Some are flying bombs.

Are you SURE the drones are being aimed by a remote operator looking at a TV picture when they are crashed into a target? Or are they selecting targets themselves?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 11th May 2014, 1:29 PM BST

Girls Aloud.

Quote: billwill @ 11th May 2014, 2:15 PM BST

Not al drones are mere reconnaissance planes. Some are flying bombs.

A missile is a flying bomb. A drone is a remote control plane or helicopter. What you do with it is open to preference, but they are not in and of themselves inherently dangerous.

Quote: shaggy292 @ 11th May 2014, 2:50 PM BST

Girls Aloud.

Nope, they are more in the Spice Girls mode and have never had the crossover urban and R&B hits and have never won a Q Award. I would rather have sex with Girls Aloud (even the mad ginger one) but musically The Sugababes are far superior.

Dunno. Don't listen to any of 'em.

I didn't even know Björk had left The Sugarbabes.

There probably wasn't but that's like saying can you name a better shit than diarrhoea.

Ain't no cancer better than thyroid cancer.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 11th May 2014, 3:06 PM BST

have never won a Q Award.

The most sought after award of them all.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th May 2014, 4:53 PM BST

There probably wasn't but that's like saying can you name a better shit than diarrhoea.

Peg eight Chappers.