I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,556

Laughing out loud

They just aren't as clever as our Bernie. Bernie's schemes weren't illegal - the Revenue couldn't touch him and were lucky to get £10m out of him.

Take That sadly lack the brain cells. *Stares mournfully at her souvenir brochure from the 1994 - Everything Changes tour*

Still love them though.

Quote: Jennie @ 10th May 2014, 11:34 PM BST

Still love them though.

It's difficult to harbour ill will for Take That. As boy bands go, they were no Duran Duran in the talent stakes but they were certainly more likable then Bros or NKOTB. And don't even get me started on Brian Harvey from East 17.

In terms of girl groups, (not including the post punk femme fatales of bands like The Go-Gos and The Slits) then I think The Sugarbabes rank highest for me in terms of pure musical talent and original songs.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 10th May 2014, 11:42 PM BST

I think The Sugarbabes rank highest for me in terms of pure musical talent and original songs.

Which line-up?

With pop bands, it is all about song quality. Take Girls Aloud. Limited talent, limited likeability but some great songs.

It's difficult to harbour ill will for Take That. As boy bands go, they were no Duran Duran in the talent stakes but they were certainly more likable then Bros or NKOTB. And don't even get me started on Brian Harvey from East 17.

They worked hard and filled a gap in the market at the time. Plus their shows were extremely entertaining. (My mum was concerned about the level of "gyrating". I was nine and completely oblivious. Hence why I started copying their dance moves at a wedding and had to be removed before someone called Social Services).

Us Thatters could have rivalled One Direction fans if social media had been in existence. We could have issued random death threats with the best of them.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 10th May 2014, 11:26 PM BST

All we do each night is PAYE
It only takes a minute girl...to fill in your tax return online
Never Forget the deadline for returns is midnight 31st October
Not paying the tax on A Million Love Songs will be the main reason for appearing in court
Back For Goods and Chattel
Review My Files
Could It Be Magistrates

Right, I'm punned out.

That's OK. I couldn't compete as I only know about 2 of their "songs" and that's 2 too many.

Duran Duran

:|

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 10th May 2014, 11:49 PM BST

The worst one surely was that buncha knobs who were on that one episode of "Apprentice USA", in which a big unit of a US country star had to be their gofer for one gig.. and they asked him to source "wheatgerm milk" or some such.. and the country star got the right arsehole.. classic TV.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Quote: Jennie @ 10th May 2014, 11:46 PM BST

With pop bands, it is all about song quality. Take Girls Aloud. Limited talent, limited likeability but some great songs.

That reminds of my favourite 'mash up' featuring Girls Aloud and the original fabricated boy band The Monkees. Check it out -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3eBaRHEPs

Quote: zooo @ 10th May 2014, 11:49 PM BST

:|

Duran Duran were a really good band with some cracking songs. They're the Beatles compared to Take That.

Duran Duran are okay, I just didn't realise you were so old...

Quote: zooo @ 11th May 2014, 12:05 AM BST

Duran Duran are okay, I just didn't realise you were so old...

I could be a lot of people's dad. Smarmy

Am I missing something? How the Hell will a twitter campaign get the Nigerian girls released?

Quote: keewik @ 11th May 2014, 12:08 AM BST

How the Hell will a twitter campaign get the Nigerian girls released?

It's the power of the Internet. Facebook 'Likes' cure cancer and feed the hungry, angry Tweets force bloodthirsty Islamic kidnappers to free hostages. It's like magic.

It's difficult to harbour ill will for Take That.

No it's not. It's a piece of piss.

In terms of girl groups, (not including the post punk femme fatales of bands like The Go-Gos and The Slits) then I think The Sugarbabes rank highest for me in terms of pure musical talent and original songs.

What the f**k are you on?

TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY!!!

Killer robots will be debated during an informal meeting of experts at the United Nations in Geneva.

Two robotics experts, Prof Ronald Arkin and Prof Noel Sharkey, will debate the efficacy and necessity of killer robots.

The meeting will be held during the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW).

A report on the discussion will be presented to the CCW meeting in November.

This will be the first time that the issue of killer robots, or lethal autonomous weapons systems, will be addressed within the CCW.
Continue reading the main story
"Start Quote

"I support a moratorium until that end is achieved, but I do not support a ban at this time" "

Prof Ronald Arkin Georgia Institute of Technology
Autonomous kill function

A killer robot is a fully autonomous weapon that can select and engage targets without any human intervention. They do not currently exist but advances in technology are bringing them closer to reality.

Those in favour of killer robots believe the current laws of war may be sufficient to address any problems that might emerge if they are ever deployed, arguing that a moratorium, not an outright ban, should be called if this is not the case.

However, those who oppose their use believe they are a threat to humanity and any autonomous "kill functions" should be banned.

"Autonomous weapons systems cannot be guaranteed to predictably comply with international law," Prof Sharkey told the BBC. "Nations aren't talking to each other about this, which poses a big risk to humanity."

Quote: keewik @ 11th May 2014, 12:08 AM BST

Am I missing something? How the Hell will a twitter campaign get the Nigerian girls released?

dunno but liked watching Dave Cameron get ambushed with one on the BBC politics show.

Quote: Jennie @ 10th May 2014, 11:46 PM BST

Yes, and the skimpy outfits played no part in their success.