I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,553

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 7th May 2014, 5:55 PM BST

I named 8 freedoms, only two were gun related.

:P

Quote: sootyj @ 7th May 2014, 6:22 PM BST

fastfood restaurants selling Halal food by stealth,

Assume you mean the allegations about Pizza Express?

and KFC and various schools, do you want links?

Seen a couple ta. But I never frequent these purveyors of disgusting muck be it Halal or slain by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

It always surprises me how many shitty fast food places there are. If I walk up my main street for sixty seconds I'll probably pass three or four stinking chicken places. And they're always busy. These days I wouldn't even go in one drunk, let alone sober.

It's quite dodgy because Halal in essence breaks the law or atleast government guide lines.

So I guess one could accept that for special circumstances, but this is for the wider community.

As I'm not a subscriber I can't see Dierdre's reply.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/deidre/5612117/I-caught-boyfriend-having-sex-with-my-mum-on-sofa.html

What do you think it might have been?

Quote: sootyj @ 7th May 2014, 9:18 PM BST

It's quite dodgy because Halal in essence breaks the law or atleast government guide lines.

So I guess one could accept that for special circumstances, but this is for the wider community.

Isn't it something that should be banned here? Regardless of crappy religious justification?

It's a tricky one.

This article is quite interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/mar/17/halal-slaughter-regulation

Driving the practice underground is a public health nightmare, but I agree we should know when are eating it and have the choice not to.

Oh no doubt, and it probably couldn't be stopped, there would be an outcry from the devout, practice driven underground, etc, but it's still pretty shocking animal cruelty.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 7th May 2014, 9:23 PM BST

Isn't it something that should be banned here? Regardless of crappy religious justification?

Well according to DEFRA guidelines yes.

I'd say no, if both Halal and Kashrus authorities can prove over and above the protocols for humane slaughter are better for regular stunning slaughter houses.

But I don't think schools or restaurants should be selling it to people, who may not want it.

If the government is breaking it's own rules over cultural sensitivities then that's a very dangerous road to go down.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 7th May 2014, 9:40 PM BST

Oh no doubt, and it probably couldn't be stopped, there would be an outcry from the devout, practice driven underground, etc, but it's still pretty shocking animal cruelty.

It's on some level a bogus argument. Stunning has never been proven to work effectively and mass farming is so cruel, fussing over the last couple of minutes of an animals life seems almost perverse.

But so does causing needless cruelty because God tells you too.

Quote: sootyj @ 7th May 2014, 9:43 PM BST

I'd say no, if both Halal and Kashrus authorities can prove over and above the protocols for humane slaughter are better for regular stunning slaughter houses.

Isn't the real solution, if stunning slaughter houses are bad, or just as bad, or sometimes worse, to find a better way to do it full stop?

Quote: sootyj @ 7th May 2014, 9:45 PM BST

It's on some level a bogus argument. Stunning has never been proven to work effectively and mass farming is so cruel, fussing over the last couple of minutes of an animals life seems almost perverse.

But so does causing needless cruelty because God tells you too.

Seems like a lot of farms, at least British farms, tend to treat their animals quite well these days. At least the ones you see on countryfile, and Countryfile would never fudge the truth. NEVER. Even big farms should be able to provide a basic quality of life for the animals. And then when the time comes, it should be as humane as possible. A foolish dream perhaps, but a noble one. I'm a nice guy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 7th May 2014, 9:49 PM BST

Isn't the real solution, if stunning slaughter houses are bad, or just as bad, or sometimes worse, to find a better way to do it full stop?

We could always force them to listen to Leonard Cohen until they give up.

No, wait.

The Halal way is more humane.

C'mon those are all the ones who sell their sausages to wealthy people in Waitrose.

I'd say slaughtering should be more humane and meat made more expensive.

And God's law really needs to be subordinate to the actual law.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 7th May 2014, 9:18 PM BST

These days I wouldn't even go in one drunk, let alone sober.

Where exactly do you eat when you're either drunk or sober these days?