I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,342

is it an aftershave? *gravelly voice* "Audacity for men bold enough to wear hats..."

Quote: Nogget @ October 16 2013, 8:05 AM BST

It seems that apart from Bill, no-one here has even heard of it, let alone used it.

I've heard of it and used it. It what separates the men from the boys.

So are the rumours of a 1000 pound dire sheep with razor sharp wool true?

Quote: roscoff @ October 16 2013, 8:49 AM BST

I've heard of it and used it. It what separates the men from the boys.

You're a better man than me roscoff

Quote: sootyj @ October 16 2013, 9:08 AM BST

You're a better man than many roscoff

I fully concur with this statement.

Quote: Tursiops @ October 16 2013, 8:29 AM BST

is it an aftershave? *gravelly voice* "Audacity for men bold enough to wear hats..."

Actually its an excellent open-software program for doing audio file editing.

Quote: Nogget @ October 16 2013, 8:05 AM BST

It seems that apart from Bill, no-one here has even heard of it, let alone used it.

Me! Me! I've heard of it as well as use it (poorly).

Oh the audacity of it.

And the Oscar for the hammiest drama of the year goes to -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24557469

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5ypmTtL_s&feature=share

Main man !

Charles, too, saying what the Shadow Cabinet won't say:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24566429

For all of his failings, his distinctly "un-modern" historical leanings could turn out to be a blessing.

Quote: Horseradish @ October 17 2013, 4:07 PM BST

Charles, too, saying what the Shadow Cabinet won't say:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24566429

For all of his failings, his distinctly "un-modern" historical leanings could turn out to be a blessing.

Prince Charles is a conundrum - he often says very sensible things, and then you remember that he lobbies for homeopathy on the NHS. >_<

Quote: Harridan @ October 17 2013, 4:12 PM BST

Prince Charles is a conundrum - he often says very sensible things, and then you remember that he lobbies for homeopathy on the NHS. >_<

:)

I know what you mean.

What I really like about this though - and I'm not a big royalist - is that Parliament has got used to the idea that the Queen could overrule it "in theory". In my opinion, this is a subtle warning shot from Charles that the theory could be put into practice.

If he as King thinks that Government policies - including failure to regulate the finance industry if it won't sensibly regulate itself - will destabilise the country, I reckon that reluctantly he would force Ministers into a constitutional crisis. And on pensions, he and they would know that he'd have the public's full support.

(Incidentally, this comes on the day that Labour millionaire Milburn's report to Clegg on social mobility recommends increased tax for ALL current pensioners - Clegg has dismissed it as not acceptable.)

Quote: Horseradish @ October 17 2013, 4:31 PM BST

What I really like about this though - and I'm not a big royalist - is that Parliament has got used to the idea that the Queen could overrule it "in theory". In my opinion, this is a subtle warning shot from Charles that the theory could be put into practice.

If he as King thinks that Government policies - including failure to regulate the finance industry if it won't sensibly regulate itself - will destabilise the country, I reckon that reluctantly he would force Ministers into a constitutional crisis. And on pensions, he and they know that he would have the public's full support.

While it sounds nice to have some right-minded individual scupper the government's plans when they appear truly diabolical, I don't think I could ever get behind a monarch vetoing the decisions of parliament. That amount of legislative power in the hands of an individual who lives a life so distinct from the lives of the populace is a terrifying thought. If we have to have a monarchy let's leave them twiddling their thumbs rather than getting stuck in.

Quote: Harridan @ October 17 2013, 4:55 PM BST

While it sounds nice to have some right-minded individual scupper the government's plans when they appear truly diabolical, I don't think I could ever get behind a monarch vetoing the decisions of parliament. That amount of legislative power in the hands of an individual who lives a life so distinct from the lives of the populace is a terrifying thought. If we have to have a monarchy let's leave them twiddling their thumbs rather than getting stuck in.

But you realise Mrs Thatcher had the same opinion?

When asked in the early 1980s what she thought of the Queen, she is alleged to have sniffed and said "she's the sort of woman who would vote for the Social Democrats".

Quote: Horseradish @ October 17 2013, 4:59 PM BST

But you realise Mrs Thatcher had the same opinion?

When asked in the early 1980s what she thought of the Queen, she is alleged to have sniffed and said "she's the sort of woman who would vote for the Social Democrats".

I'm sure there are a couple of things everyone agree with Thatcher on. Just because Thatcher thought something doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong.