I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,341

Quote: dellas @ October 14 2013, 8:46 AM BST

They totally distrust all new networks?...

Do this to them

And now for some good news...yum, yum, yum..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24426915

Quote: roscoff @ October 14 2013, 1:12 PM BST

Do this to them

Ah....Witness was a great movie!

Quote: Nogget @ October 14 2013, 7:41 AM BST

Trouble is, when the next generation of devices comes out, you'll be really out of the loop, because it will assume familiarity of the current crop.

My mum had your attitude about 30 years ago, so to her a cassette player is a bit complicated. So she doesn't have a VCR, mobile, DVD, nothing; and she doesn't even know what a computer is.

Thanks Nogget for your comments. :)

I understand what you mean and hope your mum is not inconvenienced. It would be a problem if she found it limiting. On the other side of the coin, my immediate reaction was "what freedom!" And the cassette player is an interesting one as it shows you can simply opt out of something until the next fad arrives.

Quote: Horseradish @ October 14 2013, 9:15 PM BST

I understand what you mean and hope your mum is not inconvenienced. It would be a problem if she found it limiting. On the other side of the coin, my immediate reaction was "what freedom!" And the cassette player is an interesting one as it shows you can simply opt out of something until the next fad arrives.

Or until it becomes a fad again.

Audio cassettes are cool again. There was a national cassette store day a few weeks ago, with special new releases.

Quote: Horseradish @ October 14 2013, 9:15 PM BST

I understand what you mean and hope your mum is not inconvenienced. It would be a problem if she found it limiting.

It's nice that you enjoy the simple life (reminds me a bit of an old sci-fi novel I read (Philip K Dick perhaps?) where the protagonist completely disconnected his house from external power supplies and even mains water) but I'm quite surprised you don't find it limiting. Perhaps you don't drive, but if you do, then what happens when you break down? Without a mobile phone, do you look for a phone box to call the AA?

Quote: George Kaplan @ October 14 2013, 9:46 PM BST

Or until it becomes a fad again.

Audio cassettes are cool again. There was a national cassette store day a few weeks ago, with special new releases.

That's interesting news. Thanks. It looks like it started in Scotland in 2012 and became international this year. Rough Trade records got involved.

Quote: Nogget @ October 14 2013, 7:41 AM BST

Trouble is, when the next generation of devices comes out, you'll be really out of the loop, because it will assume familiarity of the current crop.

My mum had your attitude about 30 years ago, so to her a cassette player is a bit complicated. So she doesn't have a VCR, mobile, DVD, nothing; and she doesn't even know what a computer is.

Does anyone else remember when the memory device for home computers was an audio cassette recorder?

yes and they always f**ked up, but I did like the noise they made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3KE0EuzD4U

http://www.kfausa.org/okryu-childrens-hospital-opens/

Quote: George Kaplan @ October 14 2013, 9:46 PM BST

Audio cassettes are cool again.

The mix tape is enjoying a 'Spangles' moment of nostalgia right now. There exists free software like Audacity, with which we can more quickly create far more interesting digital 'mix tapes', with our own mash-ups and stuff; but this doesn't seem to be very popular. Does anyone here use Audacity for such a purpose?

Quote: Nogget @ October 15 2013, 4:16 PM BST

The mix tape is enjoying a 'Spangles' moment of nostalgia right now. There exists free software like Audacity, with which we can more quickly create far more interesting digital 'mix tapes', with our own mash-ups and stuff; but this doesn't seem to be very popular. Does anyone here use Audacity for such a purpose?

I've used Audacity for various purposes, including adding/editing voice overs to tutorial videos and turning concerts initially recorded on a camcorder into audio CDs with extraneous sounds removed or clipped & the sound levels normalized etc.

So, what's the feckin' point of that then?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24542794

Quote: Nogget @ October 15 2013, 4:16 PM BST

I remember Spangles, but hadn't heard of Audacity.

Sounds more like a Street Dance act from "Britain's Got Talent", or a team name in "The Apprentice". ;)

Quote: George Kaplan @ October 15 2013, 11:25 PM BST

I hadn't heard of Audacity.

It seems that apart from Bill, no-one here has even heard of it, let alone used it.