I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,343

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2465346/Man-sentenced-seven-years-prison-biting-neighbours-penis.html

:D

Don't you think these do-gooders accusing Roy Hodgson of racism over his joke about the monkey and the astronaut are the real racists? Roy told it in all innocence. It's them putting 2 & 2 together to make 3. F**king dicks!

"However, Piara Powar, executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe (Fare), told the BBC that Hodgson had got it wrong.
"This was a silly phrase to use in a diverse workforce," said Powar.
"I think some players will see it as a reflection of the type of language still used by some coaches and some attitudes that still prevail."

They are the real racists by their comparison. That's NOT the point of the joke! Do they not have ANY sense of humour?

Yes, it does seem a bit mental. Just because they think of black people the second they hear the word 'monkey' it doesn't mean everyone else is that racist.

Quote: Harridan @ October 17 2013, 4:55 PM BST

While it sounds nice to have some right-minded individual scupper the government's plans when they appear truly diabolical, I don't think I could ever get behind a monarch vetoing the decisions of parliament. That amount of legislative power in the hands of an individual who lives a life so distinct from the lives of the populace is a terrifying thought. If we have to have a monarchy let's leave them twiddling their thumbs rather than getting stuck in.

The only thing that's made me think differently from this is the current US deadlock over agreeing a budget. The same thing happened in Australia in the 80s (sorry, don't remember the exact year). The result was that the Queen's representative sacked the whole of parliament. Then next day they had an election, and the voted in party managed to pass the budget pretty quickly.

I'm not in favour of the monarchy. But I do see some value in a power higher than parliament (or congress and the senate, in the US's case) that can break a deadlock in extreme circumstances. Maybe it could be as simple as a rule that after deadlock, re-elections have to take place and the voted in party wins the deadlocked agreement. Or an elected individual could step in, in such situations and make the decision and force them to move on. Both those seem better than the US's current situation.

Quote: Chappers @ October 18 2013, 1:02 AM BST

Don't you think these do-gooders accusing Roy Hodgson of racism over his joke about the monkey and the astronaut are the real racists? Roy told it in all innocence. It's them putting 2 & 2 together to make 3. F**king dicks!

"However, Piara Powar, executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe (Fare), told the BBC that Hodgson had got it wrong.
"I think some players will see it as a reflection of the type of language still used by some coaches and some attitudes that still prevail."

They are the real racists by their comparison. That's NOT the point of the joke! Do they not have ANY sense of humour?

Agree with you 100%.

Roy's comments were about broad tactics.

If you DO manage to go along with the idea that the key symbols were references to specific players, the astronaut was Smalling and he isn't white either. Consequently, any racism would only have applied to Townsend. But it's ridiculous. It is clear that RH admires Townsend and also what he is like in the round.

Interestingly, it is the astronaut's role - Smalling's - which could have been considered unimportant or marginalised in the joke. Personally I think that would be a misreading. The manager was just indicating how and where he wanted the ball to be played. Nevertheless it is arguably THAT which was the key trigger for over-reaction. This was then twisted into a race point. To my mind, it was only done to save a player's ego.

Regrettably, the incident may well need to be borne in mind in the future when selecting players who are able to demonstrate good team spirit. But the best outcome would be for common sense to prevail.

I can't believe the amount of Googling I had to do to find the original quote from Roy Hodgson. It's heartening to see that people are so vigilant against racism in football, but that was definitely a false alarm.

Quote: Chappers @ October 18 2013, 1:02 AM BST

I'm guessing there were other reasons behind the complaint other than moral outrage. Like selling a story to a newspaper. Or behind the scenes dressing room politics - if you dislike someone tar thew with the racist brush in public. It's a good strategy.

The Ullapool Church wishes to clarify that their inspirational display on the church wall is meant to say 'Arise. A church spokesman stated, "The display clarification was necessary because we heard there was confusion and even some raising of smirks regarding our display."

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1361367-akise-arse-or-arise

Quote: Harridan @ October 17 2013, 4:55 PM BST

While it sounds nice to have some right-minded individual scupper the government's plans when they appear truly diabolical, I don't think I could ever get behind a monarch vetoing the decisions of parliament. That amount of legislative power in the hands of an individual who lives a life so distinct from the lives of the populace is a terrifying thought. If we have to have a monarchy let's leave them twiddling their thumbs rather than getting stuck in.

Couldnt agree more.

No one should have a say in how the government is run without the approval in some meaningful form by the people.

I disagree with Prince Charles on so many things, not least of all homeopathy.
The NHS has wasted millions on homeopathic hospitals to keep him happy.

The idea that loony ideas such as chellation would actually get a serious hearing, is chilling.

He is a bungling burk, with no mandate no common sense and no off switch.

Frankly I hope when the queen gives up the role, it passes to William who atleast seems to know what the job entail.

And no I don't want some ghastly modern style president, no doubt chosen by some dimwitted reality TV show.

Quote: Nogget @ October 18 2013, 11:06 AM BST

The Ullapool Church wishes to clarify that their inspirational display on the church wall is meant to say 'Arise. A church spokesman stated, "The display clarification was necessary because we heard there was confusion and even some raising of smirks regarding our display."

Laughing out loud

Nice to see Father Jack finally found another parish.

Quote: sootyj @ October 18 2013, 11:18 AM BST

Nice to see Father Jack finally found another parish.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Nogget @ October 18 2013, 11:06 AM BST

The general public is smirking, the altar boys are getting traumatised.

Quote: sootyj @ October 18 2013, 11:13 AM BST

No one should have a say in how the government is run without the approval in some meaningful form by the people

I genuinely feel that this doesn't happen, sadly, for many reasons, ie Governments are elected on low percentages of votes, policies are introduced that are not in manifestos and particularly representatives allow themselves to be answerable to big money interests above the people. By contrast, the monarch can provide effective checks and balances if so minded. What helps is that among the principal motivations of the royals are popularity and national stability. These encourage them to represent the common good.

That is not to say that Government by monarchy is without problems. By nature it is dictatorial, the royals have other less helpful vested interests and so much depends on the personality of the monarch. So I think the long-term solution has to be the abolition of Parliament and decisions taken by the public on individual policies via computers or in a weekly TV phone vote. The latter could take place before the Lottery show.

Democracy is a funny beast, proportional representation has been pretty awful where it's been used. In Israel it allows loony minority parties to band together and hold the country to ransom.

Democracy as a sort of vague approval for what is essentially an elected dictatorship does seem to work.