What are you reading right now? Page 203

Re-reading The Goon Show Companion by Roger Wilmut & Jimmy Grafton - "A History and Goonography", and despite being under 200 pages is a wealth of knowledge for any Goons fan, and what I consider "the bible".

At the moment am reading Jimmy Grafton's background to The Goons at the pub he ran at the time - Grafton's where all four met and while Spike was living there it was frequented by the likes of Terry-Thomas, Jimmy Edwards, Tony Hancock, Dick Emery, Alfred Marks, Graham Stark, Tommy Cooper, Beryl Reid, Clive Dunn, Denis Norden and anyone else who was taking their first steps into the world of comedy.

WOW! Can you imagine what it would have been like to be standing in the bar rubbing shoulders with such people! OK, they weren't famous then, but the conversations - if only there was a time machine that could go back in time.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st November 2014, 9:09 PM GMT

Re-reading The Goon Show Companion by Roger Wilmut & Jimmy Grafton - "A History and Goonography", and despite being under 200 pages is a wealth of knowledge for any Goons fan, and what I consider "the bible".

At the moment am reading Jimmy Grafton's background to The Goons at the pub he ran at the time - Grafton's where all four met and while Spike was living there it was frequented by the likes of Terry-Thomas, Jimmy Edwards, Tony Hancock, Dick Emery, Alfred Marks, Graham Stark, Tommy Cooper, Beryl Reid, Clive Dunn, Denis Norden and anyone else who was taking their first steps into the world of comedy.

WOW! Can you imagine what it would have been like to be standing in the bar rubbing shoulders with such people! OK, they weren't famous then, but the conversations - if only there was a time machine that could go back in time.

I used to work around the corner from Grafton's. Spike used to live with his pet monkey in the loft at one time. They turned it into a faux Irish pub at some point, but now it's semi-returned to normal and The Goons prints are back on the wall, as they should be.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 1st November 2014, 9:48 PM GMT

I used to work around the corner from Grafton's. Spike used to live with his pet monkey in the loft at one time. They turned it into a faux Irish pub at some point, but now it's semi-returned to normal and The Goons prints are back on the wall, as they should be.

And not called Grafton's anymore I understand.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st November 2014, 10:57 PM GMT

And not called Grafton's anymore I understand.

It's reverted back to that name: http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/grafton-arms-victoria-london/c0356/

It's quite nice really - loads of little snugs and corners to sit, drink and laugh in; assuming you're with the right crowd that is. It's my recollection that the Goons Society hold their regular(?) meets there?

Probably do - I gave up my membership many years ago when a few ran it for their own amusement. Or so it seemed to me at the time.

I often wondered whether it was named after Jimmy Grafton who was the landlord at the time of The Goons, otherwise it is an amazing coincidence.

Perhaps you can find out for me the next time you frequent it, please? :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 2nd November 2014, 5:37 PM GMT

Probably do - I gave up my membership many years ago when a few ran it for their own amusement. Or so it seemed to me at the time.

I often wondered whether it was named after Jimmy Grafton who was the landlord at the time of The Goons, otherwise it is an amazing coincidence.

Perhaps you can find out for me the next time you frequent it, please? :)

Will do Hercules

Thank you. :)

'We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves', one of this year's Booker nominations.

I'm reading John Cleese's autobiography at the moment. Although interesting, it's very detailed in regard to his background and schooling. Hmm. I'm holding off from reading reviews at the moment, but I may do tomorrow. Probably after 10:06.

Might not be that, it may be his type of brain or mind. I'm the same, can't get into books at all, would love to but my mind strays all over the place. I've forgotten what I read within minutes so the bit I'm on usually makes no sense to me. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th October 2014, 7:17 AM BST

A friend of mine who I suppose is in his late 40s reckons he has never read a book in his adult life.........???? How can you not find something interesting to read? :O

This, finally.

Best line so far "Laura Gomez was a petite Asian woman of twenty."

I thought Marc would have put 'a petite Asian woman of plenty'.. ;)

:O Maybe that comes later.

Now I'll have to buy the book to find out!

:D