What are you reading right now? Page 201

I dread to think!

Arthur Lowe's biog. - fascinating reading of his rep. days at the moment.

The Martian by Andy Weir. Very good hard sci-fi, and nice to see Three's Company get a mention.

Married to Wilfred by his wife Mabel - fascinated by him and pre/post war Britain up the 1950s :)

The Rev Diaries

by ace comic novelist and scriptwriter Jon Canter.

A great pleasure.

As good as the show but with extra literary polish such as 'There's definitely a touch of the Cardinal Wolsey about Archdeacon Robert. He looks like he's on the point of being amused but then he turns scornful. He's commanding and sly, withering but brilliant, and he has a mesmerising quiff made of very few strands of hair, which looks like a tiny arrow aiming at your head'.

Reminded me of Martin Amis's John Self narrating Money: 'The most complicated triple-pate job I've seen in twenty-five years of show business'. approx, from an alcoholic drug addict's near-senile memory.

Incidentally, kudos to the publishers for managing to sell Amis's The Zone of Interest as a comedy/love story, it's not really either so unless you're gagging for an intentionally depressing and mystifying Auschwitz story - literally hopeless - I'd give it a swerve. Most reviewers disagree.

If you'd rather feel good about humanity read The Rev Diaries.

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd September 2014, 10:32 AM BST

The Martian by Andy Weir. Very good hard sci-fi, and nice to see Three's Company get a mention.

And, it turns out, a moral-boosting story behind it for wannabe authors.

From Wiki:

Having been rebuffed by literary agents, Weir put the book online for free at his website.[5] At the request of fans he made an Amazon Kindle version available through Amazon.com at 99 cents (the minimum he could set the price).[5] The Kindle edition rose to the top of Amazon's list of best-selling science-fiction titles, where it sold 35,000 copies in three months.[5] This garnered the attention of publishers: Podium Publishing, an audiobook publisher, signed for the audiobook rights in January, 2013, and Weir sold the print rights to Crown in March 2013 for six figures.[5]

The book debuted on the New York Times Best Seller list on March 2, 2014 in the hardcover fiction category at twelfth position.

And Ridley Scott is set to shoot the movie.

So, there is hope after all....

The Fry Chronicles.
Also read Dear Fatty recently. Turns out I do like autobiographies and true stories.

I've recently decided to read some classics, so being cunning I have started with the shortest ones - Just read Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde which is only about 15k words and To Kill a Mocking Bird - also pretty good and short. Currently on A Christmas Carol which is a handy 30k words :)

Here's a related joke:

Fred: I love Christmas. Do you know any carols, Dave?
Dave: Hmmm, no. I know a Susan

Finished 'Entry Island' (Peter May of the Lewis trilogy) 3 days ago and it's still haunting me. One of these books you can't put down but you hate having finished it.

Finished 'Entry Island' (Peter May of the Lewis trilogy) 3 days ago and it's still haunting me. One of these books you can't put down but you hate having finished it.

Claire Tomalin's heavy tome "Charles Dickens - A Life".

Bought for me one Christmas a few years ago, so now I've picked it up.

V.Good so far, and at the rate I read (usually on the pan >_< ) I'll still be reading it after this Christmas.......... Unimpressed

Quote: keewik @ 6th October 2014, 11:33 PM BST

You certainly seem to be having trouble letting go...

Wolf Hall. The affectation whereby 'he' always refers to Cromwell, regardless of whichever character was referred to last (except when it doesn't) is doing my head in. There are reasons behind the rules governing pronouns. Continually having to going back and reattribute actions and emotions is putting me outside the story.

Just starting Kate Atkinson's 'Life after Life' which looks promising.

Tragically I was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook

Interesting about the early days of Footlights and The Fringe, but otherwise - so far......nyah Unimpressed

A friend of mine who I suppose is in his late 40s reckons he has never read a book in his adult life.........???? How can you not find something interesting to read? :O