What are you reading right now? Page 202

My brother in law is the same. They just have other interests I suppose. He can literally sit down and read the Screwfix catalogue for hours.

I wonder if some people's brains work differently and they can't picture things happening in their heads through reading in the same way most people can, and therefore reading fiction wouldn't really work for them.

What a sad loss for them! :( Last year I re-read Treasure Island and Moonfleet (normally only read biogs.) and they both still conjured up such brilliant images, especially the first one.

Quote: zooo @ 13th October 2014, 12:42 PM BST

My brother in law is the same. They just have other interests I suppose. He can literally sit down and read the Screwfix catalogue for hours.

Literally?

I love books and I've got loads that need reading. The trouble is I spend too much time on here.

Yes, literally literally. He is a builder/decorator/plumber type person so he enjoys reading it and fantasising about buying new tools, or something.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th October 2014, 8:10 PM BST

Literally?

I love books and I've got loads that need reading. The trouble is I spend too much time on here.

Ditto :D...........or should that be :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th October 2014, 9:08 PM BST

Tragically I was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook

Interesting about the early days of Footlights and The Fringe, but otherwise - so far......nyah Unimpressed

that sounds good man, I'm going to have a look.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th October 2014, 8:10 PM BST

Literally?

Innit man :D

Quote: Mikey88 @ 14th October 2014, 11:45 AM BST

that sounds good man, I'm going to have a look.

Yup, like I say the biog. bits and the Footlights etc. history I found interesting but half of it is just his scripts, which when read cold like that get quite boring - at least I found it so. Am half way thru' it already what with skipping the script sections!

It must be very common - this never read a book thing. I have a friend (well workmate) who has never read a book in his life nor does he read newspapers or watch the news. To me, he has no idea what is going on in the world but he seems very happy with his lot. He's not thick or owt he just has no interest in such things.

I am reading Paul Mertons autobiography 'Only when I laugh'. I didn't think I would like it but as he is the same age as me I can relate to a lot of his childhood memories.
He has a good writing style that is easy to read and it is quite comical without the need for cracking gags. I'm about a third of the way through and enjoying it.

About to start another Peter May - Extraordinary People.

Just finished reading "Tragically I was an Only Twin", which claims to be The Complete Peter Cook, but is hardly that if you want his life story as two thirds of it are just scripts - not the best read, reading scripts cold.

Also, on the front cover - Stephen Fry: "The funniest man who ever drew breath".

Well, I totally disagree with that statement as I found he was like the curate's egg - flashes of genius but the bulk self-indulgent twaddle, and what does come over in the book, is the jealousy he had of Dudley Moore who was clearly a naturally funny man.

I wouldn't recommend this book, not unless you are a Peter Cook fanatic.

Just started 'The Winter Garden' - Jane Thynne. I've only read the prologue so far but it was interesting. I didn't know there had been such a thing as The Bride School for prospective brides of the SS.

Suffering from exhaustion after 'The Winter Garden' - books about Nazi Germany are always stressful. Now an easier read - 'Glasgow Kiss' (Alex Gray) which is actually a crime novel, 'Glasgow kiss' having more violent implications.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th October 2014, 9:08 PM BST

Tragically I was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook

Ah, yes, I remember my Dad bought that for me about a decade ago. I never did finish it.

The World Was My Lobster: George Cole and his ghostwriter. Hmmm...not great, skipped through to the chapter on Minder, now I'm plugging on with his sitcom work in the 80s, 90s and 00s. Does anyone recall Citizen Dad?

Quote: Ben @ 30th October 2014, 10:36 PM GMT

Ah, yes, I remember my Dad bought that for me about a decade ago. I never did finish it.

And I doubt you ever will and not surprised you put it down - not an easy read.