Inside No. 9 - Series 1 Page 6

Missed episode 1 but caught last night's and thought it was exceptional, loads of bits that made me genuinely laugh out loud.

Loved it.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 12th February 2014, 11:26 PM GMT

Shite!

Really? A one word review? Come on Charlie Boy, you're better then that. The only thing worse then a single expletive is 'meh' and 'well, I liked it'.

Good thing there are no wannabe writers on this forum based on the well thought out critical analysis.

I've loved these two shows. My only small gripe about this last one is that it was obviously a gimmick to have no talking and those only really work when you don't have any moments when you'd expect people to actually talk. I thought there were a few times where it wasn't believable that the couple in the house wouldn't talk.

I laughed out loud at the huge dog and the sex doll under the bed, though, and it was entertaining throughout. Very difficult to pull-off and I think they did so.

Can't believe the amount of OTT superlatives being given to this - it felt so contrived and hackneyed!

Just brilliant - the best thing in ages. And the dog bit was priceless - its not often now that you don't see the joke coming. Wonderful!

Quote: gb901 @ 13th February 2014, 4:07 PM GMT

Can't believe the amount of OTT superlatives being given to this - it felt so contrived and hackneyed!

Contrived, yes, sort of, if by contrived you mean "brilliantly worked out and scripted", not sure which bits were hackneyed though, I didn't really second guess any of the gags or twists (with the exception of the Chekov's Gun bit with the chilli peppers).

Quote: sootyj @ 12th February 2014, 11:16 PM GMT

There you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezjznL9NzM

:D Now that's proper.

Flabby cynical self-satisfied BAFTA-bait.

No, I'm teasing, I thought it was lovely. Some really great performances, and hilarious gags (dog and sex doll my favourite parts too). I agree that about twice the fact they didn't speak was on the very each of feasibility, and I don't knwo why they didn't just take the whole frame and run when they had the chance, but I do like a strong formal concept for a show, sometimes.

Great stuff, in short, although I probably preferred last week's.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 13th February 2014, 5:52 PM GMT

Contrived, yes, sort of, if by contrived you mean "brilliantly worked out and scripted", not sure which bits were hackneyed though, I didn't really second guess any of the gags or twists (with the exception of the Chekov's Gun bit with the chilli peppers).

Well all I can say is that some people are easily pleased!

Quote: gb901 @ 13th February 2014, 10:38 PM GMT

Oh dear.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 13th February 2014, 5:52 PM GMT

Is that the new brand of chewing gum that lasts all the way till the 3rd act?

Quote: gb901 @ 13th February 2014, 10:38 PM GMT

Or concede that a lot of people are easily pleased . . .

Quote: gappy @ 13th February 2014, 9:04 PM GMT

Flabby cynical self-satisfied BAFTA-bait.

No, I'm teasing, I thought it was lovely. Some really great performances, and hilarious gags (dog and sex doll my favourite parts too). I agree that about twice the fact they didn't speak was on the very each of feasibility, and I don't knwo why they didn't just take the whole frame and run when they had the chance, but I do like a strong formal concept for a show, sometimes.

Great stuff, in short, although I probably preferred last week's.

Well, I loved every minute of it - the gags and the double twist at the end, and yes, I thought it was the best of the two so far.

If one tries hard enough you can pick holes in anything, and my thinking on the "artwork" ( a good piss-take on modern art I thought) is that by filling it back in (don't want to go into too much detail in case someone hasn't watched it yet) they were hoping to get away with the original and hope to have extra time to dispose of same before anyone noticed - Sabrina did glance at it and dismissed the difference, probably thinking that it was always like that.

Quote: Skeadugenga @ 13th February 2014, 4:50 PM GMT

Just brilliant - the best thing in ages. And the dog bit was priceless - its not often now that you don't see the joke coming. Wonderful!

Yup, BIG laugh their for the BIG dog, which was a Pendomer Irish Wolfhound by the way - they are very noticeable by their size, height and colour. We had one many years ago called CJ - (Cream Job) :>;)

The big dog part was great but my favourite bit was the exchange where the burglar ends up having to hand over a tenner for two crappy cleaning products.

Having Oona Chaplin in a Silent Film homage was a nice touch given that her grandfather was of course Charlie Chaplin.

I've been really enjoying this, one of my favourite Beeb comedies for years and once again has Shearsmith and Pemberton involved.