Inside No. 9 - Series 1 Page 11

Am I right in saying that the backstage story and characters in episode 5 had similarities to the story of Macbeth?

Quote: jhmagic1 @ 6th March 2014, 4:29 PM GMT

Am I right in saying that the backstage story and characters in episode 5 had similarities to the story of Macbeth?

I think that was the point, we were supposed to suspect his fiancée of doing the dirty like Lady Macs and the twist was that it was the dresser.

Last night's episode felt a bit self indulgent - all actory types want to do 'The Bard' and this was their way of living out some sort of frustrated RSC fantasy at our expense. At least it wasn't a frigging musical, the next redundancy on the actory hit list, so we should count our blessings.

It's also a problem when the wigs that are supposed to look like real human hair are indistinguishable from the wigs in the play. 'Reese's pieces' pulled me right out of the show. Not as bad as the one he wore in 'An Adventure In Space And Time' but certainly close.

Also had IT Crowd flashbacks when Pemberton showed up in the wheelchair. Plus why a cod Australian accent for the lesbo company manager? Is it because foreign accents are funny, because they are foreign and therefore funny?

I think what I found most disappointing was the lack of humour, particularly as they're so close to the subject matter (to the point of incestuous love making) - in LoG they did a fantastic send up of touring community theatre companies with 'Legz Akimbo' but last night's seemed to miss the mark and didn't ring true.

I've levelled criticism that the show seems old fashioned in terms of characters and settings and unfortunately, this trend has continued. I think the actors are all terrifically talented and the performances are always great, but it's like watching a pastiche of a homage.

Messy - my least favourite.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th March 2014, 8:03 PM GMT

Messy - my least favourite.

Not messy. Too neat, if anything, everything was where it should be, and where you expected it to be. My least favourite, too, though, clearly for a slightly different reason.

Still lots to enjoy, of course, in writing and performances as strong as these, but it did kind of feel like an "episode 5" kind of piece to me, compared to the originality of the others.

Episodes 2-3 were so good that the rest pale into comparison. The next episode looks good though. Hopefully it goes out on a high and keeps us wanting more.

Enjoyed the latest, first ep is still my favourite, I'll let you all know if this changes.

Episode One 1.06 million viewers. Episode 5 720,000 viewers. Huge success???

I thought the last one felt like a limpish Legs Akimbo skit.

Again it was like TOTU but with a rubbery punchline/twist that kinda dragged on.
SPOILER
And if he was married/engaged to the girl who killed her self. Why did he run away and not keep in contact at all?

Quote: sootyj @ 8th March 2014, 8:04 PM GMT

SPOILER
And if he was married/engaged to the girl who killed her self. Why did he run away and not keep in contact at all?

Because she clearly wasn't very nice, verging on bonkers, and he saw that, so cut off the engagement and has clearly since been on a bit of a whirlwind career-wise, not looking back. He saw her 'Lady Macbeth-ness' and left her behind as soon as he had his success.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ 8th March 2014, 8:02 PM GMT

Episode One 1.06 million viewers. Episode 5 720,000 viewers. Huge success???

Critically and with a large part of the audience it has had, yeah. It doesn't help that it doesn't seem to have had much of a push on screen, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't even know it's on.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 8th March 2014, 8:27 PM GMT

Critically and with a large part of the audience it has had, yeah. It doesn't help that it doesn't seem to have had much of a push on screen, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't even know it's on.

With these ratings it should be on BBC3!

The last one was my favourite. Although I wish it had been film length.

What did you like about it

I really liked this episode up until the ending. It felt like the whole story was going to be thrown on its head by some genius twist, but then it just ended.

Great finale. That was the stand-out best for the dark/creepiness, with Episode 1 top for story and Episode 2 way, way out in front for comedy.

Oh god, the inevitable request of an essay defending my opinion.

I just enjoyed it. I like it best when the Gents do horror with a splash of comedy rather than the other way around. (Actually I like it both ways, but was waiting for the horror episode.)