Rev - Series 2 Page 2

Strangely I didn't care much for the last series but I really enjoyed this one. And that's not just me being contrary for the sake of it once more...hahaha. ;)

Episode 2 was very good. It's consistent across the episodes I feel. Laughed a lot (alone, as usual compared to everyone here who just smiles for half an hour) throughout.

I like Adam as a character: you really buy into his troubles and doubts and they're usually exacerbated by the archdeacon, who is flawless every episode: the look from the 'cheap' coffee this week was sublime.

Great stuff.

Dan

Quote: Nogget @ November 13 2011, 5:36 PM GMT

That was odd, wasn't it, all that build up of the undeserving have-a-go-hero, and then no pay off; and the daytrip plot didn't come to much, either. Perhaps if they hadn't squeezed in two storylines, there would have been time to explore either one to better effect.

Seemed very similar to a Curb ep to me where Larry David tripped over in an airplane. Enjoyed it a lot but it felt more comedy drama than sitcom to me. Not that that matters. If you enjoy something it doesn't matter what label others put on it.

Quote: swerytd @ November 18 2011, 8:54 AM GMT

the archdeacon, who is flawless every episode: the look from the 'cheap' coffee this week was sublime.

Yes, I liked that, infact I think he's the best thing in it and wish his scenes were a bit longer.

The episode itself though, was OTT to me, I couldn't even in my best 'sitcom is not real life' mode be convinced by that storyline, that's one that should've stayed a draft, I reckon. And the guest character thing is becoming a bit predictable too, you knew that Abi woman would end up going, they all do. And it was pretty obvious she'd get promoted. Has the writer come from Radio 4? It has that feel about it.

I really liked it, it had a nicely surreal feeling against very solid grounded characters. So Rev's going mental on ecstasy worked because it was; underplayed and because it contrasted with his defined character. Also his dislike of the new woman priest was nicely, vague and jealous.

Last week's felt a little slow but this was quality. I just think for Series 3 they need to give him a slightly stronger reason for wanting to be a priest.

I love this show. I'm enjoying the (slight) trend from Gavin and Stacy of sitcoms with characters that you'd like to be friends with. I've no problem with sitcom grotesques, but they're not the be all and end all.

Liked episode 2 a lot as well, although... while I loved the idea of crack squirrels, why didn't that storyline come to anything? And camping in their house, whilst fun, didn't further the overall plot at all. I'd really like to see more intriguing stories in this otherwise-exemplary show. Abi turns up, a few things happen, so she goes; it's all a bit slight.

This week's was brilliant.
I wish our sitcoms were 22 episodes long. :(

Yes, good episode. I thought last week's was funnier though.

I liked last night's, nicely serious at the end and not afraid to dodge explaining stuff that's dull and slows the action down.

I like that they allow him to be essentially a good vicar, despite all his bumbling and silliness. His story about the dragonflies was cute.

Loved this episode and this has become my TV highlight of the week.

Did Olivia Coleman really get very pissed on cheap booze the night before as its shows great acting if she didn't.

Speaking of Richard Dawkins I saw him filming yesterday outside of Whitechapel tube near the East London Mosque.

Sorry to be the fly in your ointment but from being a fan of the first series, I'm finding the storylines in this show increasingly unbelievable. Every week a new character comes along to hang a topical storyline on, and off they go. The show is trying too hard to squeeze every topical pip out of religion, with a disregard to its characters.

It's overwritten, imo, going for every angle available, whether it looks right or not. His mate was baptised two episodes ago and now he's practising bhuddist meditation wearing beads, and questioning the Christian faith. The show just isn't sitcommy enough for us to suspend our disbelief, as we would in the most obvious and funny sitcoms.

With its gentle, comdram type humour style, we're expecting a focus on real life for an inner city vicar. But what we're actually getting each week is an unlikely story about the headline aspects of religion. A rampant anticreationist atheist teaching in a Church of England school? Just too unbelievable! Poor, Radio 4 style writing is letting this show down. imo. It had very good characterisation again, but it's wrongly put in, imo.

It's got a mixture of excellent characters in believable, but still funny relationships. And each episode the same characters go through a completely diferent adventure before returning to stuff as was.

That's exactly how sitcoms work AlfyK. If you don't get that then you don't get sitcom.

Maybe you would enjoy gardening shows more?

I love the lovable crack head character, he's aces.

My dear Sooty, I get exactly how sitcoms work, and this subject is too arch for sitcom, and that's why it doesn't look right as one! It should have an hour long slot to be the gently satirical comdram it really is, instead of trying to stuff two busy storylines into a half hour sitcom format. This is why episode one just faded out without the trip scene we were expecting. The show is too ambitious, and wrongly formatted as a sitcom. It has some good characters, but it is overwritten.