The Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff Page 4

Any idea why they changed the title? Is it because they assume TV viewers must be ignorant, shit-eating chimps, when compared with the towering superhuman intellectuals who (supposedly) make up the R4 audience?

Frankly, if you're not going to understand the derivation of 'Bleak Expectations' then you're unlikely to enjoy the show anyway.

Certainly it's a far better title than the awful one they settled upon.

They didn't use the title Bleak Expectations because it is neither the same show, nor an adaptation of, nor uses any of the same characters or settings.

Maybe if it was it would have been better!

B.E. always had me in stitches

It was mental

But mental AND funny

Whereas this was like an hour long bad Mitchell and Webb sketch

I just listened to Bleak and it was aces.

Aaron is right though they were very diferent beasts.

According to the headers and footers on this page it returns on Wednesday 30th November? So we have to wait eleven months for the next one?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 20 2011, 4:30 PM GMT

the towering superhuman intellectuals

My ears are burning!

Quote: chipolata @ December 20 2011, 6:13 PM GMT

According to the headers and footers on this page it returns on Wednesday 30th November? So we have to wait eleven months for the next one?

Ah. Well spotted! An interesting bug. No, the series is expected in mid-January. Date not confirmed yet. I'll get that fixed ASAP...

Quote: Aaron @ December 20 2011, 4:46 PM GMT

They didn't use the title Bleak Expectations because it is neither the same show, nor an adaptation of, nor uses any of the same characters or settings.

Balls. As far as I can tell, it's essentially the same kind of Dickensian parody by the same frigging writer, isn't it?

I'd advise you to get your application in early for the position of Kim Jong Un's new 'Minister of Information'.

Aaron's right.

It's a totally different story with totally different characters.

So why give it the same name?

It should be called The Bleak Old Shop Of Bollocks IMO.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 20 2011, 6:40 PM GMT

Balls. As far as I can tell, it's essentially the same kind of Dickensian parody by the same frigging writer, isn't it?

And Life's Too Short is essentially the same kind of spoof-mockumentary by the same writer and half of the same cast as The Office and Extras, so why not just call that The Extras Office?

Yes, Aaron, well you've certainly convinced me. Doing two Dickens parodies is in no way different from doing two mockumentaries set in two completely different worlds.

Jesus f**king Nora... *shakes head*

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 20 2011, 7:19 PM GMT

Yes, Aaron, well you've certainly convinced me. Doing two Dickens parodies is in no way different from doing two mockumentaries set in two completely different worlds.

I'm sure we're all glad you agree. :)

Was doubtful to begin with but found myself enjoying it. Though the concept does not work as well as on radio - as the old saying goes, on radio the pictures are better.

I think the word 'bleak' in the title is sufficient acknowledgment that it is part of the same franchise, without creating any false expectation that it is a direct adaptation of the radio show (which was completely unadaptable, even with a collasalmungous CGI budget.)

I really liked it. It was silly and funny and Christmassy and had lovely surreal moments. It didn't always work but it hit far more than it missed. I recorded it and then realised that the recording failed (which pleased my wife no end).

I felt it did lose its way a little in the last 15mins but overall I really enjoyed it.

Quote: Feeoree @ December 19 2011, 11:43 PM GMT

Was also amusing to have the Demon Headmaster of all people wandering about with a goose on his head.

Of course, that's who it was! It was really bugging me trying to remember what he'd been in (although not enough to bother to Google him, obviously).

Oh my buggery! I totally didn't recognise him at all.

Which is lucky, as when I do see him in things I generally want to run away and cry in fear.