Stewart Lee Page 16

Quote: Vader @ April 20 2011, 10:47 PM BST

and more peoplewill consider Frankie the best than him.

Yes, Boyle is very popular.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 20 2011, 10:50 PM BST

Ah, so you haven't got any examples of him banging-on about politics then? Right-o. :)

Fine, I'll post a random clip if it'll keep you happy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2011, 10:52 PM BST

What you said didn't really deserve more of a response than that.

Firstly, in one clip of Stewart Lee, he proclaims that one side of the audience didn't get the joke so he needs to explain it to them. Secondly, what's the point in his political rants if it's not to sway people who are sitting on the fence? So you're saying when he does that he's just wasting everyone's time and being an idiot?

I might think there's room for improvement in his act, but I don't think he's that stupid or egotistical that'd he'd do them for no reason.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2011, 10:55 PM BST

Yes, Boyle is very popular.

And he can express his politcal views with jokes and doesn't feel the need to explain them.

Jesus, it's like trying to debate with a petri dish... a petri dish colonised by the fetid rectal bacteria of a corpulent 18th Century colonial slave trader...

I hope that's a Stewart Lee quote...

Because if you're 'heckling' me, I've got a put down lined up, ready and waiting.

Stewart Lee, if you're reading this and have decided to use my quotes in your next newsletter, you have my blessing, but you should know that people bet me that I wouldn't dare be critical of you in this thread, so you should attribute the names of the real culprits of the quotes - Matthew Stott and Tim Walker.

If you are reading this, I think if people don't get your jokes you should just turn round and say 'look, if you don't get it you may as well just f**k off now, I'm sick of explaining my jokes'.

Quote: Vader @ April 20 2011, 11:23 PM BST

I hope that's a Stewart Lee quote...

It isn't. Just a poor attempt at one.

Quote: Vader @ April 20 2011, 11:38 PM BST

Because if you're 'heckling' me, I've got a put down lined up, ready and waiting.

First rule of comedy: don't tell your audience that you've got a put-down "ready and waiting" for them in the event they dare to heckle. It rather misses the point.

Quote: Vader @ April 21 2011, 12:01 AM BST

Stewart Lee, if you're reading this and have decided to use my quotes in your next newsletter, you have my blessing, but you should know that people bet me that I wouldn't dare be critical of you in this thread, so you should attribute the names of the real culprits of the quotes - Matthew Stott and Tim Walker.

If you are reading this, I think if people don't get your jokes you should just turn round and say 'look, if you don't get it you may as well just f**k off now, I'm sick of explaining my jokes'.

Christ alone knows what this is supposed to mean...

Yeah, yeah, set me up to incur Stewart Lee's wrath and then deny all knowledge of it! I'm just the Karl Pilkington to their Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant.

Stewart Lee will see through your ploy, you may have tricked me, but you won't fool him.

Quote: Vader @ April 21 2011, 12:50 AM BST

I'm just the Karl Pilkington

Don't flatter yourself! ;)

Haha, ok, I'm just his less intelligent, less talented brethren!

Quote: Vader @ April 20 2011, 11:07 PM BST

Firstly, in one clip of Stewart Lee, he proclaims that one side of the audience didn't get the joke so he needs to explain it to them.

That whole thing is a comedy bit, dividing the room.

I might think there's room for improvement in his act, but I don't think he's that stupid or egotistical that'd he'd do them for no reason.

There's room for improvement in every comedian's act, but like him or not, Lee is one of the most acclaimed stand-ups around.

And he can express his politcal views with jokes and doesn't feel the need to explain them.

He's a very different act to Lee, he's a gag man.

Well, Vader has made me feel really stupid for my adoration towards Stewart Lee. I feel I have been well and truly told.

In fairness I hadn't really come across him 'til I came on here, and watched clips of him on YouTube until I got sick of him, but having watched some of his Comedy Vehicle, I'm glad to see he focuses more on telling jokes than explaining them etc.

He's certainly a good performer, one of the best, I wasn't disputing that, but I think I'll start buying up his DVDs, see what I make of him after that.

I mean I often have nothing against the people he targets, or often like them, but there is a certain perverse pleasure to when he starts talking about them, and you know he's going to spend an extended period of time micro-analysing them to make them look stupid, within the context of his act. Though it doesn't really change my opinion of them.

I mean you could do that to Einstein, but it wouldn't stop him being probably one of the greatest minds the world has ever seen. Though the people Lee targets aren't in the same league of course.

You should try to watch some of his '90s stuff with Richard Herring. I'd say most of his fans were introduced to him through that (possibly?) and maybe it's a bit more approachable.

I know I'm always surprised when people seem to think of him as all political and cynical and serious. When I still think of him as the likeable and charming one with the silly hair from Fist of Fun.
:)

I don't think anybody could accuse Lee of being political. Not party political, at any rate. He has the odd pop at the Tories, but I wouldn't say it's a defining characteristic of his work.

Quote: Vader @ April 21 2011, 5:05 PM BST

I'm glad to see he focuses more on telling jokes than explaining them etc.

He just wrote a book that is nothing *but* Lee explaining his jokes.