Stewart Lee Page 19

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ July 20 2011, 5:36 PM BST

My take on the Lee/McIntyre rumble:

There isn't one; it's become a trend to knock McIntyre, and a newspaper made stuff up, and took other bits clearly out of context, to try and make Lee some sort of figurehead for the naysayers.

Zackly.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 20 2011, 5:50 PM BST

There isn't one; it's become a trend to knock McIntyre, and a newspaper made stuff up, and took other bits clearly out of context, to try and make Lee some sort of figurehead for the naysayers.

I don't know about that Matthew. McIntyre (quite rightly) complained about being the butt of other comics' jokes, and Lee took that as an opportunity to launch another (admittedly veiled) attack on him. Not nice imo.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ July 20 2011, 5:52 PM BST

I don't know about that Matthew. McIntyre (quite rightly) complained about being the butt of other comics' jokes, and Lee took that as an opportunity to launch another (admittedly veiled) attack on him. Not nice imo.

He was responding to the incorrect way he was being portrayed really, not the fact that McIntyre doesn't like other comedians making jokes about him.

He may have had the best intentions in the world, but he still slagged him off in the piece.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ July 20 2011, 5:57 PM BST

He may have had the best intentions in the world, but he still slagged him off in the piece.

Well, he said it's true the act is not for him (Surprise, Lee doesn't like a lot of mainstream comedy), and sure, you could take the charity thing as a little dig.

I like Stewart but he often comes across like a bit of a pretentious twat. Mainly through media misquoting and misinterpretations. Maybe there is some truth to it though? Is he good friends with Patrick Marber? They both give of the same vibe. Although Lee is slightly cooler.

I can never remember where Lee and Herring stand with Patrick Marber. They certainly didn't used to get on.

Oh, yes. I forgot about that. Didn't Marber get a lot of peoples backs up?

Yes indeedy.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ July 19 2011, 4:13 PM BST

"These days I mainly meet other comics at the 60 or so unpaid charity benefit shows I do every year, and I never see McIntyre at any of these, so I don't know him"

Is that because no one will pay to see him?

I feel sorry for McIntyre, it can't be nice being the butt of the industries jokes.

I don't think it's what anyone would hope for. But he's popular enough with the masses I imagine it doesn't sting too much. Plus, I can imagine he'll be looked back upon years to come as being quite respected. In the same way some of the older performers are today. Because after all, Michael is and never will be malicious or unsuitable for TV.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 20 2011, 6:18 PM BST

Is that because no one will pay to see him?

Nope!

People seem to be missing that Lee is also poking fun at himself in these apparently anti-McIntyre bits.

I just wanted to join in with some Lee-bashing, not bothered about any facts thanks.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 23 2011, 12:15 PM BST

One of the main reasons that Stewart Lee attracts so much illiterate dissent (see Lee's website/Tony Cowards for bad reviews of his work) is that many quite understandably react with paranoia, confusion and subsequently anger when confronted with something they simply aren't able to understand. So your average Michael McIntyre/Paddy "No lighty no likey!" McGuiness fan - sitting in their semi-detached, cavity-insulated Barratt misery box, stuffing Tesco's Finest Chunky Chips into their sweaty, ugly, engorged faces - when presented with Stewart Lee on their television, mocking their idols, their gods (e.g. Chris Moyles or 19th Century fictional character Russell Brand) - react in the same way that a feral dog will react when chancing across a copy of the complete works of Shakespeare lying on the ground in the middle of a deserted prefab. It will not be able to understand it, nor appreciate its contents as having had a major influence in shaping Western art and civilisation. No, it will sniff it for a bit then, deciding it has no value as food, become enraged and savage it - tearing this alien object to shreds. It will quite possibly then proceed to urinate/defaecate all over it, before wandering off to lick its own balls.

So one should not mock or deride those who, through no fault of their own, haven't acquired the intellectual resources to appreciate Stewart Lee, rather one should try to understand and pity them.

Blistering bit of prose, Tim......and I really enjoyed reading it. I only latched on to Lee quite recently, and I like what he does. But I do think he's got lots more worthwhile targets than MacIntyre. Having pops at someone so mainstream is a bit easy....Lee can do much better than that.