Stewart Lee Page 23

I once saw Stewart Lee in Edinburgh at the infamous Spank! show. Not only was he very funny but he also had a good laugh (along with everyone else) when some of the other comics on the bill did their Stewart Lee impressions.

Saw Lee at Leciester Sq theatre last month. He was kind enough to sign a copy of his book for me. For twelve pounds. He signed it "To Sam! luuyhsu luu" which I'm presuming is a hilarious in-joke I don't get and not his lazy attempt at a signature!

(In all seriousness, I've been to see him six times now and he's never not been hilarious).

New Stew article about his new show: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2012/0125/1224310701798.html

Hopefully he will bring the thing somewhere near Guildford. This is a plea so I don't buy tickets for London like last time only to find a week later he'd organised Woking. Git.

Oh, and interesting in the article that he claims he doesn't have time to write anything but then sees these 19-year-old kids at Open spots. I don't have time to see open spots when I have time!?

Dan

Very funny at times, usually agree with the viewpoints he expresses in his stand-up. However, I am put off him by the fact that, well...he seems like he's a bit of a wanker really.

This isn't just based on his routines and the way he comes across on stage, but I read his book and have seemed a few interviews etc, and he just seems like an arrogant, pretentious, maybe even bitter man.

Also, he talked about how his early comeback tours were disjointed and had no through-line, and how each tour has become more structured and considered.

Personally, I found the 'disjointed' 90s comedian show far funnier than vegetable stew.

I get the impression that he's trying harder to be respected as some sort of comedic artist or scholar or whatever than he is trying to actually be funny.

Quote: boskobalaban @ February 2 2012, 11:39 AM GMT

This isn't just based on his routines and the way he comes across on stage, but I read his book and have seemed a few interviews etc, and he just seems like an arrogant, pretentious, maybe even bitter man.

I always find him to come across as quite self deprecating and sweet in interviews etc.

Quote: zooo @ February 2 2012, 11:43 AM GMT

I always find him to come across as quite self deprecating and sweet in interviews etc.

in fairness I saw one long, fairly amateur interview some bloke did with him on YouTube, and he was quite cheerful and friendly.

but he also seemed really drunk so maybe that had something to do with it :D

Ha!

Re: Stewart Lee and his public slagging of other comics.

From what I understand, all stand ups are at each others throats. They just don't say it publicly.

Because Lee isn't part of the Sport Relief / Panel Show / Apollo gang who bump into each other every three hours, he doesn't have to worry about hurting their feelings by calling them all false, greedy liars who steal material.

I don't see why any of us should even care if he slates another comic. Maybe if you're a stand up yourself you might have reason, but most of us aren't, so who cares? Plus he's always funny when he does it, that helps. And he generally has a point to make, not just 'Ugh, this guys shit, right?' Sometimes, the ribbing is even at his own expense, poking fun at his own percieved shortcomings and lowly position.

Very funny at times, usually agree with the viewpoints he expresses in his stand-up. However, I am put off him by the fact that, well...he seems like he's a bit of a wanker really.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. You do realize it's a character that's he's playing most of the time.

I get the impression that he's trying harder to be respected as some sort of comedic artist or scholar or whatever than he is trying to actually be funny.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? He treats comedy an art. If that's not good enough for you there's always Peter Kay's hilarious garlic bread jokes.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ February 29 2012, 7:47 PM GMT

Is that necessarily a bad thing? He treats comedy an art. If that's not good enough for you there's always Peter Kay's hilarious garlic bread jokes.

Great video on "The closest comedy gets to modern art" from Simon Munnery. :D

http://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?showclip=1&id=2242

Quote: Garry Lee @ February 29 2012, 8:35 PM GMT

Great video on "The closest comedy gets to modern art" from Simon Munnery. :D

http://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?showclip=1&id=2242

I just said missing plug-in afraid.

Stewart Lee says it in his book though: "Simon Munnery (...) was reviewed favourably, by the Guardian recently as 'the closest stand-up comedy gets to art', and he has pointed out himself that however good stand-up gets, it can never really be art. There is an impassable canon between the two. Munnery has since decided that rather than it being good comedy, he now wants his work to be categorised as 'shit art'.

Is that similar to the clip?

I want to love Lee so much but he leaves me cold. I hate image/style over substance whether it's a suit and loosened rat-pack tie, or whatever.

He frustrates me because I wish I loved his comedy, if he became a little less obsessed with himself. He's a stand up, not a guardian of mainstream entertainment.

I loved the 'stand-up comedian' special at the Glasgow club, enjoyed the majority of '41st best stand-up ever' but I thought '...milder comedian' was just a self-indulgent mess.

My friends who are his fans tell me if I don't like any aspect of what he does, I don't 'get it'. I 'get' perfectly well what he's doing, it's schtick. It's deliberate and actorly and upper middle-class.

If 'Russell Howard, McIntyre' and 'coffee shop staff' are really the hard-hitting targets he devotes his writing too then I.. I don't know. When his DVDs, interviews and TV shows and musicals have finished I realise not one single controversial, intelligent or though-provoking thing has left his mouth

"chris moyles' ghost-written book isn't exactly Tolstoy? Get Outta Town! Who'd have ever thought?"

Comedic potshots at easy targets is not a bad thing - but it's exactly the same as that which he criticizes.

So maybe there's an extra, extra level of irony, that maybe I 'don't get' after all.

Anyway, live and let live, gonna start reading his book soon, I like the man, just don't get his insult of comedians who only do bits on obvious targets.

Quote: JackDaniels2 @ February 29 2012, 11:32 PM GMT

I want to love Lee so much but he leaves me cold. I hate image/style over substance

Lee is Style over substance? I'd say he's a perfect combination of style AND substance.

I said before that people tell me I don't 'get it' and I reply, I get it perfectly well.

On reflection, I watched the last DVD before bed this morning, and the truth is, Nope, I don't get it. I tried viewing his targets of frustration in context, and I realised I'm just not smart enough or comedy savvy enough to understand his choices. In other words, he and his fanbase are clever(er) than me and the stuff I listen to.

Therefore I really have no business posting online opinions of him or his comedy.

If it's true that he's just a character act, like the guy on here said, then again, it's all too smart for my comprehension of things and miles over my head because I had no idea.

Which makes it my shortcoming and not Stews.