The all in one consolidated tennis thread Page 7

I personally doubt Murray will win a grand slam.

but I would never criticise him - its just unfortunate for hin that he's in the game when two of the very best players EVER are at the top

if people want to have a go - have a go at all the other sodding useless Brits that turn up to tournaments like this year in year out and get battered in the very first round

Murray is the 4th best player on the planet and doesn't get the credit he deserves

Quote: TopBanana @ June 30 2011, 4:41 PM BST

What the heck is Judy Murray doing on Twitter?

By all means have a personal account, but does the world really need to hear her ramblings?

And she's got 12,000 followers.

Wat.

That's insane, horrible woman.

Quote: Vader @ July 2 2011, 2:54 PM BST

Henman was 4th in the world too wasn't he?

Curse of the timing though - Murray's a far superior player, but also has the misfortune to be playing at the same time as three who will be remembered as greats of the game. Henman had a few years in the shadows of Sampras, but played most of his career at a time when the likes of Hewitt were No1 - and Murray has still managed a far superior record.

I think Murray might have a shot at either the US or Australian opens, but he's never going to get Wimbledon without one of those under his belt, and a decent slice of luck too.

Quote: Vader @ July 2 2011, 2:54 PM BST

Henman was 4th in the world too wasn't he?

Murray has reached second in the world, and been in about three Grand Slam finals, which Henman never did.

Quote: chipolata @ July 2 2011, 2:21 PM BST

Hear my words, he'll NEVER win a Slam.

Not really fussed either way, but he's obviously got a very good chance, especially if he manages to reach a few more finals.

Quote: lofthouse @ July 2 2011, 3:00 PM BST

I personally doubt Murray will win a grand slam.

but I would never criticise him - its just unfortunate for hin that he's in the game when two of the very best players EVER are at the top

if people want to have a go - have a go at all the other sodding useless Brits that turn up to tournaments like this year in year out and get battered in the very first round

Murray is the 4th best player on the planet and doesn't get the credit he deserves

Maybe he'll start looking at mixed doubles etc. (The top 3 lads don't bother with all that, do they?!)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 2 2011, 3:47 PM BST

Murray has reached second in the world, and been in about three Grand Slam finals, which Henman never did. Not really fussed either way, but he's obviously got a very good chance, especially if he manages to reach a few more finals.

I'm even less fussed than you. Murray is good but not great. The greats have usually won a slam by his age, which is mid forties in sport years.

If Stott's fussed level is here, and Chip's is down here, well mine would be about here. *goes even lower*

Quote: chipolata @ July 2 2011, 4:00 PM BST

I'm even less fussed than you. Murray is good but not great. The greats have usually won a slam by his age, which is mid forties in sport years.

He's not one of the greats, no, but obviously the greats don't win every grand slam every year, the very good players sneak in to snatch the odd one.

I wouldn't describe Agassi as a great but the history books say that he is because he won all four slams.
Sampras is a great (and beat Agassi on a head to head basis) but he never won the French Open. Does that make him a worse player than Agassi? I don't think so.
Is Murray as good as Del Potro? Probably better, but Del Porto has a slam. Is Murray as good as the top three? Possibly but he doesn't have the self belief. It was palpable watching the semi after he'd won the first set. He could have done it but he didn't honestly believe he could win and he crumbled. His actual game is good enough. His mental game isn't.
I wouldn't write him off. How many years did it take Goran before he finally won one?

Quote: KLRiley @ July 2 2011, 4:29 PM BST

I wouldn't describe Agassi as a great but the history books say that he is because he won all four slams.

I would. Because of how he did it. He choked away grandslam final after grandslam final before finally winning one. Then, when he won Wimbeldon, he basically found a way to beat a man with a 2000 mile an hour serve. Then, after a quite a few years in the wilderness, he came back and won the French. Plus he won the Olympic gold. And he had a bit of charisma on court.

Good luck to Murray, but he's a basically charisma black-hole that owes his inflated name to the fact he's British and Wimbeldon is in Britain.

Quote: KLRiley @ July 2 2011, 4:29 PM BST

I
Is Murray as good as Del Potro? Probably better, but Del Porto has a slam.

And he had to beat Nadal and Federer in order to do so. Nadal wasn't in the best of shape in 2009, but Federer certainly was.

Quote: lofthouse @ July 2 2011, 3:00 PM BST

On huge money from Sport England (or whatever it is) and the Lottery just to swan about the world losing.

I could do that.

In fact, if I had a racquet I think I would be about sixth in the British men's ranking.

Was that John Major and Alex Salmond I just saw??

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 3 2011, 12:13 AM BST

On huge money from Sport England (or whatever it is) and the Lottery just to swan about the world losing.

I could do that.

In fact, if I had a racquet I think I would be about sixth in the British men's ranking.

and Murray learnt everything he knows in Spain didnt he?

the LTA couldn't organise a nun shoot in a nunnery

Murray's in a 4th set Tie Break.
Could be a tough 5th one if he doesn't finih it here