Comedy Records Page 22

I'm surprised there has been no mention of Birkenhead's finest - Half Man Half Biscuit.

Even if it's only for the wonderfully titled 8th album 'Trouble Over Bridgwater'

Ah the Biscuits! I have loved them since I was a school-kid and I bought my first cassette copy of Back Again in the DHSS after being told about them by a friend.

I think they have really matured over the years. The first albums definitely felt like out and out comedy records, while as they have gone on their work tends to be more knowing and cleverly wrought. The latest few records are a lot more subtle and intelligent, but still with a streaks of silliness. And although they are still obsessed with the lives of minor celebrities, popular culture, obscure holiday resorts, football and music, their songs are more enjoyable as songs in their own right, not just because they are silly, a bit rude and reference Trumpton.

If you're ever in Liverpool by the way, the Probe Record shop there has almost the entire back catalogue (albums, singles and eps) as well as numerous t-shirts and other bits. I bought their No Regrets collaboration with Margi Clarke last month on lovely 12 inch vinyl. Oh yeah!

You know what this thread's missing ?

A mention of Ivor Cutler... The unhappiest funny man ever seen

A snippet of his work can be seen below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LddPuhzt0F4

I have never met anybody who really understands his recordings.

And no mention of the Macc Lads, who are to the music industry what your scary uncle who makes you sit on his lap is to your nightmares...

Another cavalcade of jollity and mirth (sigh)...

From the very very end of the Hi-de-Hi! cast list (other than Chris Andrews), yes it's The Webb Twins - The Webb Twins

Smashie and Nicey Present - Let's Rock!

Peter Ustinov - The Many Voices of Peter Ustinov

Various - The Spoken Word of Rock 'n' Roll

Steptoe and Son

Stanley Holloway - Stanley - I Presume!

Barry Humphries - 12 Inches of Les

Lenny Henry - Live and Unleashed

Various - A Bellyful of Laughs

Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick - The Bona Album of Julian and Sandy

Freddie Starr - Starr is Born

Tony Hancock - Pieces of Hancock

I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again

Joyce Grenfell - Joyce Grenfell

Harry Secombe, Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan - How to Win an Election (or not lose by much)Election

Peter Sellers - Sellers Market

Goons - Goon Show Classics Vol 11

John Shuttleworth - Swimming with Sharon

A single from Mr Bonzo, Vivian Stanshall - Terry Keeps His Clips On

Despite sharing a love of West Ham, this is my first Digance recording. Richard Digance - Homework

Imagine my joy when I discovered that Keith and Orville made an entire album! Keith Harris and Orville - Aren't I Lucky

Freddie Parrotface Davies - A Day in the Life of Samuel Tweet

Jimmy Jones - Live at Kings Club

Spike Milligan - The World of Beachcomber

Roy Castle - Favourites

I sort of missed May. A Carry On do and West Ham winning the play offs ensured I was a bit too drunk to get up to anything constructive. Anyway...

Various - The Laughing Stock of the BBC

Andrew Sachs, Mel Smith, Gryff Rhys Jones, Rory Mc Grath, Chrissy Roberts - Tales from the Crypt

Another Deayton/Pope effort PeeCees - Too Depressed to Commit Suicide

What George Martin did before the Beatles Rolf Harris - The Best of Rolf Harris

Peter Sellers, Joan Collins, Anthony Newley - Fool Britannia

One of their non-comedy after show numbers, and yes, it's signed on the back Barron Knights - Songs from their Show

Various - 40 Years of Television Comedy Spectacular

Tony Hancock - A Tribute to Tony Hancock

Fred Wedlock - The Folker

An album I didn't know existed but which has songs I have remembered for at least the last 35 years! Roy Castle - Record Breakers

Jeremy Geidt, John Fortune, John Bird, Eleanor Bron - The Establishment

Keith Harris, Orville and Cuddles - At the End of the Rainbow

Tony Hancock and Sidney James - It's Hancock

Dick Emery - Dick Emery Sings

Keith Harris, Orville and Dippy - Come To My Party

Jimmy Edwards - Jimmy Edwards Sings "Pa Glum"

The Missing Page and The Reunion Party !

Comedy doesn't get much better !

:D

Yes, that one is the James and Hancock reunion (1965 if I remember correctly) hence the billing on the sleeve. A few minor alterations from the TV script but the version that I remember having taped it off the radio as a child many many years ago.

A few more piccies for you all

Bill Barclay - Viva Dunbar

Bill Barclay - Almost Live

Barron Knights - The Best of the Barron Knights 27 Sidesplitters

Rolf Harris - Stairway to Heaven

A Record Store Day release that I have only just got around to buying, Noel Fielding and Sergio Pizzorno as Loose Tapestries - The Luxury Comedy Tapes

John Le Mesurier – What Is Going To Become Of Us All?

John Laurie - The Great McGonagall

Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Part Two

Billy Connolly - Words and Music

Benny Hill - Sings?

Bad News - Bootleg

Allan Sherman - Songs for Swingin' Livers Only!

Grey Fluffy Clouds (Orb piss-take)

It's a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qSvqrCNEk

:D Loved looking at these, such memories! thanks guys, a couple of omissions though, Victor Borge and Victor Spinetti? my uncle had these.

Also my Dad loved James Thurber? any info would be be helpful ;)

The sleeve for the Establishment Club one is a classic piece of early to mid 60s graphic design. Shame there's no Peter Cook on it given that he was the owner of the place.

He sang wonderfully on Derek and Clive.

"I knew a girl from Amsterdam..."

Quote: GlamRacket @ March 3 2012, 5:45 PM GMT

I'm surprised there has been no mention of Birkenhead's finest - Half Man Half Biscuit.

Even if it's only for the wonderfully titled 8th album 'Trouble Over Bridgwater'

I really hope that you are not implying that Half Man Half Biscuit (HMHB) are some kind of joke band that make comedy records. You might as well throw Zappa's name into the ring at the same time if you are.

You'd definitely have to include all the punk pathetique bands as well, such as the Toy Dolls, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, the Gonads, the Macc Lads and Max Splodge and all his various incarnations (from whose work that lame sitcom Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps derived its name).

Likewise, Ween and Stereo Total.

The thing is, while all these bands/musicians use a lot of humour, they shouldn't be confused with the likes of Bad News or the Hee Bee Gee Bees.

Certainly, HMHB and Zappa are/were very serious, using their humour and wit as a means of social commentary. I admit I may well be splitting pubes and the boundaries are definitely blurred but to label the output of HMHB or Zappa 'comedy records' is akin to equating the works of Hogarth with Garfield, Private Eye with the Beano and Dali and Dadaism with Vic Reeve's Big Night Out and the Mighty Boosh.

Apologies now if I've got the wrong end of the stick and/or came across a bit too fired up but HMHB are not some kind of revue act.

Incidentally, has anybody mentioned the Amateur Transplants and if not, why not? Their parodies can be quite puerile at times but some of their stuff is spot on.

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 5 2012, 1:43 AM BST

He sang wonderfully on Derek and Clive.

"I knew a girl from Amsterdam..."

And of course the beautiful harmony of 'Soul Time'. Oh, that's the same song. He also sang the Bedazzled song, which was covered by Bongwater on their album The Power of Pussy. Not an easy one to cover.

Quote: dellas @ August 4 2012, 7:10 PM BST

:D Loved looking at these, such memories! thanks guys, a couple of omissions though, Victor Borge and Victor Spinetti? my uncle had these.

Also my Dad loved James Thurber? any info would be be helpful ;)

I wasn't aware that Victor Spinetti had ever released a record but I shall keep my eye out if he did!

Some more for the gallery of infamy...

Norman Vaughan - Swinging in the Rain:

Stu Francis - Ooh! I Could Crush a Grape:

Scaffold - Lily the Pink:

David Kossoff - Larkin Abaht:

Joan Turner - Joan Turner's Workshop:

Jimmy Jones - Live at 'the Talk of East Anglia':

Barron Knights - Jesta Giggle:

Mike Harding - Flat Dogs and Shaky Pudden:

Firm - Serious Fun:

Barron Knights - Barron Knights:

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 5 2012, 7:01 AM BST

Incidentally, has anybody mentioned the Amateur Transplants and if not, why not? Their parodies can be quite puerile at times but some of their stuff is spot on.

It's all puerile, and all utterly brilliant.