Comedy Records Page 18

Yes, imagine posting images of such pongy great mingers as Monty Python and the Goons on a comedy forum! What on earth was I thinking? What mad smelly lunacy is this! Who on earth would be interested in such malodorous abhorrence!?!?!

I'm not saying they're to everyone's taste, hell I don't think even I enjoy every record I own, but I expected a better level of debate than 'you smell'. Well sir, your mum smells of biscuits and wee and your dad smells of beer and regret. Phew, what a whopping big stinky poohey whiff!

Quote: Agnes Guano @ August 4 2011, 11:28 AM BST

Yes, imagine posting images of such pongy great mingers as Monty Python and the Goons on a comedy forum! What on earth was I thinking? What mad smelly lunacy is this! Who on earth would be interested in such malodorous abhorrence!?!?!

I'm not saying they're to everyone's taste, hell I don't think even I enjoy every record I own, but I expected a better level of debate than 'you smell'. Well sir, your mum smells of biscuits and wee and your dad smells of beer and regret. Phew, what a whopping big stinky poohey whiff!

Not you, the whiffy Guano ancestors (and birdshit doesn't smell, which ruins the joke)

Quote: Tim Azure @ August 4 2011, 4:00 PM BST

(and birdshit doesn't smell,)

Except for the acrid mouldy stench in hen-coops and battery chicken sheds.

And feebly back on topic, here's a recording by Bernard Cribbins I found last week:

That Mr Cribbins was definitely prolific. I found this to add to all the 'Right Said Fred' stuff for which he is famous, a collaboration with John Junkin and a few dozen chimps no less.

Mr Shifter and the Removal Men - Children's Stories and Songs:

Another Barry Humphries record, and the soundtrack to The Adventures of Barry McKenzie. The soundtrack doesn't contain Bazza's two signature songs Chunder in the Old Pacific Sea and One-Eyed Trouser Snake. They instead appeared on Bazza's Party Songs.

12 Inches of Les:

The Adventures of Barry McKenzie - Original Soundtrack:

Very jealous Kenneth! Well done on tracking those down.

I had been hunting for the Barry McKenzie soundtrack for a while, being a big fan of the film and having all of the old Private Eye comic strips. If I find any doubles I will post them to you. Will probably pulverize and burn them first to make postage and packing easier. Surprisingly difficult to find Barry Humphries records in Australia. His books are everywhere.

Last week's best find was the box-set of Goon Show Classics, containing Volumes 1-6 and The Last Goon Show of All, all in mint condition. The previous owner had also included The Ying Tong Song record and How to Win an Election (not in mint condition) in the box. The second-hand record dealer selling them for $10 for the lot seemed unaware of their true value. Perhaps $14.

Goon Show Classics box-set:

How to Win an Election:

Anybody listen to the 12th Man?

Helps if you know your cricket I spose and it can be politically incorrect at times, but it's funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi2kWNuI2gU&playnext=1&list=PLFB3F9D6CDC7B753E

Quote: Kenneth @ August 9 2011, 10:31 AM BST

I had been hunting for the Barry McKenzie soundtrack for a while, being a big fan of the film and having all of the old Private Eye comic strips. If I find any doubles I will post them to you. Will probably pulverize and burn them first to make postage and packing easier. Surprisingly difficult to find Barry Humphries records in Australia. His books are everywhere.

Last week's best find was the box-set of Goon Show Classics, containing Volumes 1-6 and The Last Goon Show of All, all in mint condition. The previous owner had also included The Ying Tong Song record and How to Win an Election (not in mint condition) in the box. The second-hand record dealer selling them for $10 for the lot seemed unaware of their true value. Perhaps $14.

Assuming you meant Australian dollars, $14 = £9; $10 = £6.

Quote: lofthouse @ August 9 2011, 6:52 PM BST

Anybody listen to the 12th Man?

His first album, back in 1984, was a bit of a sleeper hit. His next album, The Wired World of Sports, was huge and brilliant, as was the follow-up The 12th Man Again. The next five albums were successively weaker, with only occasional flashes of excellence. Probably best listened to as a teenage boy. I have his last three CDs in my car (having found them in charity shops) and one of them is pretty piss poor. Anyways, the 12th Man hasn't put out a new album in years, because his main target, Richie Benaud, has retired, and he cannot impersonate Australia's current cricket commentary team so well because their voices are not as distinctive as those of Benaud, Tony Greig and Bill Lawry. He has just released a "Box Set".

That box set is about £130 on Amazon!

As if.

It's selling for $87 (about £55) in Australia at present, which is so-so for a 10 disc set. Doesn't appeal to me.

And just to show that it's not always British comedy records that make my sack bulge (oo-er) here are a few US records I picked up recently:

Stan Freeberg - The Best of Stan Freeberg
I used to hear 'St. George and the Dragonet' a lot when I was a young lad illicitly taping forbidden comedy songs off the radio with my chunky cassette recorder. Remember kids, home taping is killing music etc etc.

Rusty Warren - Knockers Up!
Okay I haven't listened to this one yet, so lord alone knows quite what it is that I have acquired. Still £1 well spent I believe.

Rusty Warren is not British and not funny Rolling eyes

Quote: kevin garbett @ August 13 2011, 9:02 AM BST

Rusty Warren is not British and not funny Rolling eyes

I concur on both counts! Here are some more recent finds. A few real gems and a few real old stinkers. Play along at home and see if you can tell the difference...

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - Goodbye Again:

Peter Cook - The Misty Mr Wisty:

Billy Connolly (and others) - If It Wasnae for Your Wellies:

Morecambe and Wise - Sing Flanagan and Allen:

Rolf Harris - All Together Now:

Frank Carson - It's a Cracker:

Krankies - It's Fan-Dabi-Dozi!:

Joe Baker - Dial Joe Baker: