Comedy Records Page 26

Fantastic. Would love to hear a few of those!

Particularly like the attention to detail on Mel Smith's cover. Excellent decor! :D

The Mel Smith record is alas a single but does look wonderful. The Julie Andrews theme carries on the the reverse of the sleeve too. As far as I know he only released two solo singles.

RIP Graham Walker of the Grumbleweeds.

Aye, farewell Wilf 'Gas Mask' Grimshaw.

I had a video shown on the James Whale show (remember him?) featuring the classic Clint Eastwood song - I talk to the Trees!

....and everything by Spike Jones!

I think Cocktails for Two goes beyond comedy (in a good way), as does the Intro and the Outro (by Bonzo Dog Doh Dah). Definitely would be on my desert island as I looked around for a power supply...

Quote: Compo @ June 23 2013, 1:18 PM BST

I had a video shown on the James Whale show (remember him?) featuring the classic Clint Eastwood song - I talk to the Trees!

Spike Milligan's version . .

'I talk to the trees, that's why they put me away.'

Quote: Agnes Guano @ June 17 2013, 8:29 AM BST

The cover of this record is awesome. Looks like a Ween or Captain Beefheart album.

Gas Mask Replica?

The Grumbleweeds first album 'In A Teknikolor Dream' was all music and quite a trippy psychedelic effort at that. A few of the tracks made it on to some influential psych-rock compilations making it very collectable by ageing chaps with beards and far more serious record collections than mine. It's the only album of theirs that I don't have, although I've managed to find the singles.

In descending order of music to comedy ratio, the other albums are:

Peter Cook as EL Wistey, extolling the virtues of Watneys beer on a flexi-disc:

A bit more recent, Adam and Joe - Song Wars Volume 2:

The 1966/67 debut EP from Adge Cutler and the Wurzels - Scrumpy and Western:

Released a few months after his death 1969, Kenneth Horne - Round the Horne

From their 1973 Broadway show, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - Good Evening:

As above but infinitely more sweary, Derek and Clive - Come Again:

The Brat - Chalk Dust - The Umpire Strikes Back

Jimmy Tarbuck - Tarbuck:

Neil Innes - The Innes Book of Records:

The pre-'Grandad' original, Clive Dunn Permission to Sing Sir:

Barron Knights - Live in Trouble:

Jasper Carrott - In America:

Blaster Bates - TNT For Two:

An awesome new set of additions, as ever. Dare I ask, how many are in your collection now...?

I have just nudged past 1000. Yikes.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ July 21 2013, 3:10 PM BST

I have just nudged past 1000. Yikes.

I don't know if you have Juanita Banana by The Peels? The song was also done by other people. It was on an old 45 my father got in a job lot during the 1960s and it is with me now.

From memory, it was featured in the 1970s on Kenny Everett's World's Worst Wireless Show.* Several editions of that show went out on Capital Radio and they are currently on the web.

Like many other records Ken played then, it is only just a comedy record. Many of his choices were not comedy at all but rather what he considered to be comically dreadful.

Looking at the lists today, I can get his point on most of them. Still, what he chose is fascinating because a few songs sound quite good to the modern ear. Some shows predate punk which changed perceptions.

And it was also a highly individual selection. He always said that he preferred classical music and had greater knowledge in that area. Hence it is a curious hit and miss affair but more rewarding for being so.

FOOTNOTE

* On checking, the Peels weren't on that show. There is, though, a wealth of the grim and the gruesome and the off the scale Hughie Green. It's pretty irresistible. At least, I think so. Might sample a few now.

:)

I have the Terry Scott version of Juanita Banana. It is just as annoying as the original, possibly even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXp-leDrHtc

Quote: Agnes Guano @ July 21 2013, 8:15 PM BST

I have the Terry Scott version of Juanita Banana. It is just as annoying as the original, possibly even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXp-leDrHtc

Interesting. I didn't know that Terry Scott had done it.

Dad still has a Bernard Manning album. I think it is the 1975 one with Joe Piano Henderson - "40 All Time Singalong Party Hits". Certainly it has "Knees Up Mother Brown" and "Lambeth Walk" on it, along with "If You're Irish Come Into The Parlour" and "Paddy McGinty's Goat".

He's 82 now but has never enjoyed company after 11pm. His way of getting rid of relatives at that time has always been to disappear briefly from the living room, return in his pyjamas and dressing gown, and put the Manning on the turntable.

Before regularity called, he was in a group. Music and comedy. Their greatest claim to fame was coming second to an unknown Des O'Connor at Tooting Granada.