I've just seen... Page 389

The Book Thief - very moving, not sure how much licence they took with the book as I've not read it but it was well worth a watch. Loved Geoffrey Rush in it.

Finally saw Alpha Papa and quite enjoyed it. Was worried it was going to be totally terrible, but because I went in with such low expectations it surprised me.

Yeah, I felt the same way. I was dreading the whole lame siege thing - shades of Porridge's 'desperate hours from forty years back.

It's quite a good film, although it needed more Lyn, Michael and Dave Clifton.

12 Years A Slave. S'alright. Was interesting to see Benedict Cumberbatch play a Southern American slave owner but still look completely British.

Quote: Lee @ 16th March 2014, 12:56 AM GMT

12 Years A Slave. S'alright. Was interesting to see Benedict Cumberbatch play a Southern American slave owner but still look completely British.

His family really did own slaves in the olden days. Awkward.

Watched Cinema Paradiso for the first time last night, and thought it was great.

Quote: zooo @ 16th March 2014, 10:26 AM GMT

His family really did own slaves in the olden days. Awkward.

He was rather sympathetic to the slaves. I think that makes it even??

Who's seen Dallas Buyers Club? I HAVEN'T!

But I have it to watch.

Quote: shaggy292 @ 16th March 2014, 1:06 PM GMT

Watched Cinema Paradiso for the first time last night, and thought it was great.

Director's cut or theatrical release?

Both great, but you need to watch the director's cut for complete melancholy satisfaction.

The Invisible Woman. Some interesting ideas that weren't followed through and the motivations of the protagonist were very unclear. Why did she shag Charles Dickens? Still don't know.

Quote: Jennie @ 16th March 2014, 10:33 PM GMT

Why did she shag Charles Dickens? Still don't know.

That sounds very strange Jennie :S
Maybe she was just a very big fan???

Quote: Hannah G @ 16th March 2014, 10:38 PM GMT

That sounds very strange Jennie :S
Maybe she was just a very big fan???

:D I should explain - the film is about Nelly Ternan, long time mistress of Dickens and contributing factor to his divorce from his wife in the mid 1850's.

I've always found it an interesting mystery - Ternan was 18 and Dickens in his mid 40s when they met. She destroyed most of his letters after his death, so the true nature of their relationship has never really been discovered.

The film postulated several theories as to why she agreed to the affair - that she fell in love with his work, or that she was attracted to his obvious charisma and lifestyle.

The most interesting was that she was struggling as an actress and felt that she had little choice. Without a career, her only option was to be a mistress. That was by far the best theory, but they never actually explored it in any detail.

So a fascinating story but I don't think Fiennes did it justice.

Quote: Jennie @ 16th March 2014, 10:44 PM GMT

:D I should explain - the film is about Nelly Ternan, long time mistress of Dickens and contributing factor to his divorce from his wife in the mid 1850's.

I've always found it an interesting mystery - Ternan was 18 and Dickens in his mid 40s when they met. She destroyed most of his letters after his death, so the true nature of their relationship has never really been discovered.

The film postulated several theories as to why she agreed to the affair - that she fell in love with his work, or that she was attracted to his obvious charisma and lifestyle.

The most interesting was that she was struggling as an actress and felt that she had little choice. Without a career, her only option was to be a mistress. That was by far the best theory, but they never actually explored it in any detail.

So a fascinating story but I don't think Fiennes did it justice.

Oh no, so she's not REALLY invisible? >_< :$

I was already starting to imagine what I would do... Laughing out loud

I will have to give it a watch :)

Ahhh, I thought it was going to be one of those steampunk Victorian superhero movies with random famous historical people in.

Quote: T.W. @ 16th March 2014, 10:32 PM GMT

Director's cut or theatrical release?

Both great, but you need to watch the director's cut for complete melancholy satisfaction.

Theatrical.