We Are Klang Page 16

Quote: Leevil @ August 25 2009, 1:11 AM BST

Greg Davies is a nice fella :)

Groupie. ;)

:D

I really like it, I have to say. Not sure why. It's sort of like eating 15 sandwiches in a row and feeling sick. You're not sure why you did it but it seemed like a very good idea at the time.

And I am a massive Greg groupie- I really have no idea why I have such odd taste in men. Forget gorgeous and well built, give me an 8 foot baffoon with a rubber face!

Quote: Nogget @ August 25 2009, 6:10 AM BST

Klang seem to be one step ahead of the audience, predicting that initially we will see them in terms of other, better-known comedians. When they tell us what they themselves look like, they are parodying our opinions. They know that we might think that Greg Davies looks like an over-sized Rik Mayall, and so they make fun of our view of him.

Of course, you don't see him as fat, but that doesn't matter, they aren't saying he is actually fat, they are just saying something which lampoons the typical audience reaction.

Interesting take on it. I don't view things in that manner so can't really comment, but ... interesting take on it. Yes.

Quote: Aaron @ August 25 2009, 1:22 PM BST

Interesting take on it. I don't view things in that manner so can't really comment, but ... interesting take on it. Yes.

So why do you think they themselves tell us that he's fat?

Because they think it's clever and/or funny, I assume. Perhaps pre-empt negative, insulting usage of that view? Similar to the "reclaiming" of words like 'Nigger', 'Paki' and 'queer' by the relevant groups. I struggle to see the likeness myself, and certainly don't make that kind of judgement you were discussing previously, so as I said, I can't really make a direct comment on it.

I liked the Ben Folds song they used towards the end of the episode.
Also the theme tune sounds very much like 'Rocking the Suburbs' by the same artist.
I think they must be fellow fans.

I quite enjoyed this. As someone said already, it's like The Goodies which ain't a bad thing. Don't know about Greg Davies being a fat Rik Mayall. Looks a bit like a Frankenstein version of him to me.

I guess I should really make an effort to watch some Goodies eh? I've never seen a single episode. Has the show aged well? Think I'll still find it funny?

Quote: Curt @ August 26 2009, 1:07 PM BST

I guess I should really make an effort to watch some Goodies eh? I've never seen a single episode. Has the show aged well? Think I'll still find it funny?

I saw some of the ITV shows for the first time recently, and they did nothing for me. I'd never seen them before, because I lost interest in them when they moved to ITV.

I saw the BBC shows decades ago, and found them hilarious back then; but who knows how they will look now.

Quote: Nogget @ August 25 2009, 6:10 AM BST

There's nothing like deconstructing comedy to kill all the humour in it, but here goes anyway.
Klang seem to be one step ahead of the audience, predicting that initially we will see them in terms of other, better-known comedians. When they tell us what they themselves look like, they are parodying our opinions. They know that we might think that Greg Davies looks like an over-sized Rik Mayall, and so they make fun of our view of him.

There was also reference to an elephant in the room being the Goodies and an amusing one about Greg having a ladyboy magazine becuase he likes Inbetweeners.

They just get away with it but should watch their step.

Quote: Curt @ August 26 2009, 1:07 PM BST

Don't bother with the final (9th) series, but the others are still rather good.

The Beeb describe WAK as cutting edge which is another word for crap

Generally I agree. But there was some genuinely good stuff in the show tonight. End of the song was really quite amusing - but the whole thing was worth sitting through just for Ainsley. He stole the show with that performance.

Well Shooting Stars had gypsy and a Burqa joke (how rare is one of those full points to Vic and Bob) and I laughed.
We Are Klang did loads of race jokes and I stifle a yawn. BNP song, Barrack O'Charmer? Stop Ambassador you are spoiling us.

Did like the 2 film pastiches even if they were clumsy.