I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,775

There's Gormless Gertie - that's a plus (and before you complain at the name - it means strong spear)
She might try to reverse the smoking ban in pubs. There are always lots of pictures of her having a crafty tab outside a boozer.
Or remove capital gains tax on 2nd home sales. As long as she doesn't bring in IQ tests for MP's, she's golden.

Clamping down on bonuses to the bosses of failing water companies
Setting up GB Energy - funded by a Windfall Tax on big oil & gas
VAT on private schools
Close non-dom loopholes (purposely?) left by Tories when they 'borrowed' Labour original policy.
Tackle NHS waiting lists - staff paid extra to work evenings and W/Ends.
Localise NHS - bringing local services under one roof
End Hotel use for Asylum seekers - more staff to process & clear the backlog - more dedicated staff to ensure repatriation of failed asylum seekers
Fiscal Lock - essentially ensuring we don't have another Truss moment.
Increase Support for violence against women
Make minimum wage a genuine living wage.
Ban zero hours contracts and fire/re-hire practises
Early years intervention in dental health - supervise toothbrushing during free breakfast clubs
Repair damaged relationship with EU
Retain membership of ECHR

But mainly, it's about fairness.
Capitalism needs constant tempering if it's not to create massive divides in society.
A Left-leaning government - and Labour is the only viable option in this respect - will always tend to try to make things fairer.
A Right-leaning government is more than happy to let the cream rise to the top - and then skim it off.
Labour will be hugely restricted in what they can do - but they will be doing everything they can to mitigate against the effects of rampant capitalism - rather than turbo-charging it, and let the devil take the hindmost.
I hated Corbyn, but "For the many, not the few" was a pretty good slogan.
Shame he put the mockers on it.

Quote: Lazzard @ 20th April 2024, 1:43 PM

Clamping down on bonuses to the bosses of failing water companies
Setting up GB Energy - funded by a Windfall Tax on big oil & gas
VAT on private schools
Close non-dom loopholes (purposely?) left by Tories when they 'borrowed' Labour original policy.
Tackle NHS waiting lists - staff paid extra to work evenings and W/Ends.
Localise NHS - bringing local services under one roof
End Hotel use for Asylum seekers - more staff to process & clear the backlog - more dedicated staff to ensure repatriation of failed asylum seekers
Fiscal Lock - essentially ensuring we don't have another Truss moment.
Increase Support for violence against women
Make minimum wage a genuine living wage.
Ban zero hours contracts and fire/re-hire practises
Early years intervention in dental health - supervise toothbrushing during free breakfast clubs
Repair damaged relationship with EU
Retain membership of ECHR

But mainly, it's about fairness.
Capitalism needs constant tempering if it's not to create massive divides in society.
A Left-leaning government - and Labour is the only viable option in this respect - will always tend to try to make things fairer.
A Right-leaning government is more than happy to let the cream rise to the top - and then skim it off.
Labour will be hugely restricted in what they can do - but they will be doing everything they can to mitigate against the effects of rampant capitalism - rather than turbo-charging it, and let the devil take the hindmost.
I hated Corbyn, but "For the many, not the few" was a pretty good slogan.
Shame he put the mockers on it.

Yes that's all well and good, but Angela Rayner smokes

So...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th April 2024, 12:53 PM

There's Gormless Gertie - that's a plus (and before you complain at the name - it means strong spear)
She might try to reverse the smoking ban in pubs. There are always lots of pictures of her having a crafty tab outside a boozer.
Or remove capital gains tax on 2nd home sales. As long as she doesn't bring in IQ tests for MP's, she's golden.

I don't think smoking outside a pub is illegal.
I don't really care about this story anyway. The amount of tax involved seems to be less than £1,500. Compare this to the millions the families of billionaire Lord Ashcroft and multimillionaire Sunak have avoided paying as a result of claiming non dom status.
Rayner grew up in poverty looking after her mother and now has a son who is registered blind. Give her a break!

It's the hypocrisy you all prefer to ignore and deflect.

Meanwhile stateside, Donald Trump continually falling asleep in court, and audibly FARTING so the whole room can hear/smell it

This flatulent, dozy, senile, over weight one man crime wave could soon be the most powerful man on the planet

God have mercy on us all...

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th April 2024, 4:55 PM

It's the hypocrisy you all prefer to ignore and deflect.

Not ignoring or deflecting. Just disagreeing.

You fancy her, don't you.

I don't routinely hate all working-class women, if that's what you mean.

How could that be what I mean? I'm off for a discussion with a lamp post now.

Finally the Police exposed for what they seemingly are now - Implementers of left wing prejudice. No surprise to many, but a problem for all of us if they can't adopt a politically unbiased stance in their work.

If the Jewish chap had walked into the crowd and got a kick in the bollocks - the copper would have got slagged off for not protecting him

They can't win tbh

I expect they would have jumped in with truncheons flailing IF it had been a Nazi march
So much for democracy that flew out of the window in this country many years ago

Well no, surely he's free to carry on his way to where he was going, as he said? If he needs protecting then the police should have created a passage with police bodies guarding his way across the march. If he then gets physically assaulted by any in the baying crowd then the police clearly have the recorded evidence for which to charge the assailant. But no, they found it far easier to blame him for stirring up their hatred just because of his overtly religious but for him normal everyday attire.

Or put another way why must the preponderance of left wing anti semitic protesters in London be allowed so much to affect how others live, especially if they look too Jewish? They are pushing the boundary of a right to protest to the extreme by dominating the popular public spaces on weekends where people of other views and religions should also be free to go about their business without fear of being assaulted. It is because they carry the left wing 'politically correct' woke indemnity card which allows them to trample over all nasty right wing associated folk. The Police are a f**king disgrace for this apparent lurch to the left.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st April 2024, 12:07 PM

I expect they would have jumped in with truncheons flailing IF it had been a Nazi march

Of course they would. The chasmic imbalance of their approach to either extreme wing is beyond the joke it is so blaring now! 😠

So when a potential flash point can be avoided so nobody gets hurt , it's better to say "crack on and when it all kicks off we will pick up all the teeth and mop up the blood later and go to the addresses of any fatalities and let their loved ones know they won't ever be coming home again"

Rather than nip any potentially violent clash in the bud before it starts?

Ok