- 11th January: Comedy.co.uk Awards 2020 shortlist
- Sketch Show
- 2006 - 2020
- BBC Radio 4
- 34 (5 series), plus 1 highlights special
- Rhys Thomas, Charlie Higson, Paul Whitehouse, Simon Day, Lucy Montgomery, Felix Dexter, Amelia Bullmore, Adil Ray and Robert Popper
- Simon Day, Charlie Higson, Lucy Montgomery, Rhys Thomas and Paul Whitehouse
- Charlie Higson and Paul Whitehouse
Award winning journalist Gary Bellamy is waiting for your calls, as Down The Line invites listeners to call Radio 4's groundbreaking phone-in programme.
This comedy, created by the team behind The Fast Show, parodies radio phone-in shows. The show's host, the keen but dim Gary Bellamy, fields calls from experts, idiots, bigots and nutters about a different topic each week.
When it was launched in May 2006, Down The Line caused a massive media stir. The first episode was such an accurate parody of a bad phone-in show that many listeners were fooled into believing it was genuine, and thus complained to the BBC (see the press clippings section of this guide for more on this).
The BBC helped with the subterfuge by publishing a fake profile for Gary Bellamy on the Radio 4 website with a fake picture (below); plus they set up a phone number for the show (with a message saying that the line was busy); and dropped the credits to hide the fact the callers were actually actors.
In 2010 the show briefly transferred to TV in the form of Bellamy's People. The transfer was not considered a success, but the radio show continues with a loyal fan base.
- Production company
- Laugh track
- First broadcast
- Tuesday 2nd May 2006 on BBC Radio 4 at 11pm
- Last new broadcast
- Thursday 14th May 2020 on BBC Radio 4 at 11pm
- Last repeat
- Thursday 16th July 2020 at 4:30am on Radio 4 Extra