Improv / music performed on the following days in August 2015...
Differing performance details
- 17 Aug, 4pm
- 18 Aug, 2:20pm
A brand new musical is created from scratch at every performance of this multi award-winning show. Audience suggestions are transformed instantly into all-singing, all-dancing productions with unpredictable and hilarious results. Eighth year as an Edinburgh must-see and now at the Pleasance! With a BBC Radio 4 series and four West End seasons to their name, The Showstoppers have delighted audiences around the world with their ingenious blend of comedy, musical theatre and spontaneity. 'Achingly funny. Worth seeing again and again.' ***** (Time Out Critics' Choice) 'A shining example of how good improv can be.' ***** (Chortle.co.uk)
Share this show
- The Herald: Fringe Q&As: Showstoppers' Pippa Evans
Full press release
The critically acclaimed Showstoppers return to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe with Showstopper! The Improvised Musical and their unique blend of completely spontaneous musical theatre.
This year, for the first time, the UK's most acclaimed and in-demand musical improvisers can be found in their new home at the Pleasance.
No two shows are ever the same as The Showstoppers take audience suggestions and spin brand new comedy musicals completely out of thin air - stories, characters, tunes, lyrics, dances, harmonies, it's ALL completely improvised! - with unpredictable and hilarious results.
Since their first Edinburgh in 2008, The Showstoppers have now grown to become a must-see staple of the Edinburgh Fringe, with a legion of Festival fans returning each year and night after night to help create a brand new musical. With four West End seasons and an acclaimed BBC Radio 4 series to their name, they have also taken their ingenious blend of comedy, musical theatre and spontaneity around the globe, picking up accolades and awards including The Times Best of the Fringe, Mervyn Stutter's Spirit Of The Fringe Award and nominations for Chortle Best Music Or Variety Act, MTM Best Production Award and MTM Judges' Discretionary Award.
The rotating cast features some of the brightest minds in the world of comedy and musical theatre. The company includes:
• Co-founder Adam Meggido, an award-winning writer, lyricist and composer who has improvised at the National Theatre, the Royal Court Theatre, Shakespeare's Globe and currently holds the world record for the directing the longest impro show - 55 hours without a break. His musical Burlesque won four Off West End Awards including Best New Musical.
• Dylan Emery, the other co-founder, has been improvising for more than 15 years - including at the National/Royal Court/Shakespeare's Globe. He created veteran comedy impro group Grand Theft Impro, and the UK's premier website devoted to the form thecrunchyfrogcollective.com.
• Pippa Evans is an Edinburgh Comedy Award Best Newcomer nominee and has had great success on TV, Radio and stage - she is a regular on BBC Radio 4's The Now Show, BBC2's Fast and Loose, performs regularly with the Comedy Store Players and has had many years of success with her hit character act Loretta Maine.
• Ruth Bratt is an improv Fringe regular for the last 11 years whose recent TV credits include Ricky Gervais' Derek, Sarah Millican's Support Group and Vic Reeves' The Ministry Of Curious Stuff.
• Sarah-Louise Young won the Best Musical Variety Act in the London Cabaret Awards and was nominated for the Edinburgh Comedy Awards Best Newcomer. She has performed her critically-acclaimed Cabaret Whore show across the world.
Tweets by TheShowstoppers