Status report Page 4,692

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2012, 1:00 PM BST

Mainly, I've just taken a new job which I start in like two weeks. I took it like two weeks ago too, but had to give a month's notice at current job. In the past week or so I have, however, also decided on a career path. A totally divergent one which is going to be difficult to pursue alongside new job.

Why will it be difficult?

Because I need to get some experience before I apply for teaching courses, and I don't know if I'm going to have time around this new job. I should have, but I'm a worrier. Also, if I don't make the cut this year for the courses I'm looking at, I would start applying for teaching assistant jobs to better my chances the next time around. I don't want to quit new job "too soon" though. I am basically a panicker, if you guys didn't know that already. :(

Brilliant that you know what you want to do though!

[/annoying look on the bright side post]

Yes, you're very lucky to have a direction. At the moment, and through most of my life I haven't had one. Which is why I'm a bummed out stoner!

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2012, 1:05 PM BST

Because I need to get some experience before I apply for teaching courses, and I don't know if I'm going to have time around this new job. I should have, but I'm a worrier. Also, if I don't make the cut this year for the courses I'm looking at, I would start applying for teaching assistant jobs to better my chances the next time around. I don't want to quit new job "too soon" though. I am basically a panicker, if you guys didn't know that already. :(

Have you been given rough idea of days you will be working? You could start making enquires about the teaching placements.

Not sure if your're talking about doing courses through University or some other type of training but would be possible to start as a mid year student? I'm guessing it would be around January in the UK.

I just feel like I know which way to go, but am completely stuck on how to even travel in that direction effectively. :(

Quote: reds @ July 25 2012, 1:17 PM BST

Have you been given rough idea of days you will be working? You could start making enquires about the teaching placements.

Not sure if your're talking about doing courses through University or some other type of training but would be possible to start as a mid year student? I'm guessing it would be around January in the UK.

I know which days I'll work, but it's summer holidays at schools right now so it makes it difficult to enquire yet. I've drafted out a letter, though. I can start mid-year, yeah, but it appears that the deadline is the same for both September and January intake. It's very competitive, so I really need some experience.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2012, 1:18 PM BST

I know which days I'll work, but it's summer holidays at schools right now so it makes it difficult to enquire yet.

Look for a teachers forum. I bet they'll be someone who can give you some guidance if you feel a bit helpless during the school holidays.

It does sound like you're over-worrying. What I would do is draw yourself up a calerndar/timetable. Mark int eh days which you will be workign and absolutely can't do anything else. Mark in the days you are free, and set yourself an achievable timeline. Once it is all written out it will look far less daunting. Sometimes when you have a big change coming up it can seem terrifying, but thinking about it day by day and in small steps makes it a LOT easier.

It's just because schools don't reopen until September, and the deadline is December first. It doesn't feel like enough time is all.

Quote: Lee @ July 25 2012, 1:21 PM BST

Look for a teachers forum. I bet they'll be someone who can give you some guidance if you feel a bit helpless during the school holidays.

I am mainly just bugging my friend's mum who is a teacher. Laughing out loud

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2012, 1:25 PM BST

:D But I'm sure if you look for a forum, you'll find someone who is either going through the same as you or was in the same situation and found a solution for things you can do and prepare in the meantime.

Quote: Lee @ July 25 2012, 1:21 PM BST

Yes, this place is good. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Ta guys. :)

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2012, 1:18 PM BST

.. so I really need some experience.

TEFL?

Thinking of old college cohorts who went on to become teachers: there were three of them and they all went the TEFL-PGCE route.. and not one of them spoke any foreign languages, either.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ July 25 2012, 1:25 PM BST

It's just because schools don't reopen until September, and the deadline is December first. It doesn't feel like enough time is all.

Do the offices open up a few weeks before the school term? You could make some enquires then.

If for some reason you can't get it sorted in time, can you apply to start this time next year? I know you probably want to get it started but a year goes by so quickly and might just make it less stressful for you.

Do you want to teach little tiny chiddlers, or teenagers?